Canon 1d mk4
Canon 600mm
Iso 640
f4
shutter 1/1000

Regards
Richard

Last edited:
Like that - good use of the frame and gert lush light! :)

Lovely shot and beautiful light- well caught

Les ;)

Hi All

Thanks very much I should just explain that these are images that have been taken over the last 2 to 3 years and the vast majority have sat on the hard drive unloved so to speak I have just got through processing them they have been taken at a variety of places Maidwell farm, Worlaby Carrs, Aust Wharf and a few other sites that I know of that seems to attract them.
I hope you all will just keep coming back and looking and saying Yes or No to the ones you like.

Canon 1d mk4
Canon 600mm
Iso 640
f4
shutter 1/1000

Last edited:
Hi All
It is sad Kevin but some of the things I saw photographers doing there didn't help blocking road ways / gateways trespassing where there was no right of way this sort of thing annoys people. Putting nails on top of posts is disgusting though.
I am lucky as I know of a few sites that are on private land and I have access to. They are far enough away from public rights of way that the farmers don't have any issues with people trespassing. One old boy I know has turned his whole farm into his own wildlife sanctuary the amount of bird life there is unbelievable. I visit 3 or 4 times a year and always take food or framed photos with me it always helps to give something back.
Todays offering.

Canon 1d mk4
Canon 600mm
Iso 800
f4
shutter 1/800

Regards
Richard

Last edited:
There's something about that last photo that I just love. Stunning capture!

Do you have the image details, lens, speed, aperture etc? They're nice shots. Last SEO I saw was near Chichester harbour last autumn

Hi All
Thanks very much I have added details for you
Todays offering there's something about shorties that always makes me go looking for them one of my favourite birds

Canon 1d mk4
Canon 600mm
Iso 640
f4
shutter 1/1000

Last edited:
Hi Mike and Michael

Thanks very much I have set myself a bit of a challenge haven't I. They won't all be of the last ones standard I only get lucky occasionally.

Todays offering

Canon 1D mk4
Canon 600mm f4
Iso 640
F 4
Shutter 1/1000

The best times for looking and photographing Short Eared Owl is after a couple of heavy days of wind and rain so on a good day they will hunt for longer periods . For the owls to hunt the wind speed needs to be in single figures ideally.

Regards All
Richard

Last edited:
Hi All

Todays Offering

Canon 1D mk 4
Canon 600mm f4
Iso 200
F 5.6
Shutter 1/1000

Fact of the day
In winter time Short Eared Owls tend to be more forgiving towards one another and form communal roosts where you can get quite large Groups of them living close to one another. Worlaby Carrs and the Maidwell farm showed this.

Last edited:
Hi All

Todays Offering

Canon 1D mk4
Canon 600mm F4
Iso 800
F4
Shutter 1/800

Todays Fact
In winter, there is an influx of continental birds from Iceland, Russia and Scandinavia

Regards All
Richard

Richard

wonderful shots - and thanks for the info, really adds to the image

Hi Bill and Brian
Thanks very much
Todays offering

Canon 7D
Canon 600mm f4
Iso 400
F 5.6
Shutter 1/1600

Fact of the day

The short eared owl is anything from 13 to 17 inches tall with a wingspan of 33 to 43 inches long the female is normally the larger of the two birds the weight of a shortie is from 205 grams to 475 grams again normally the female will be the heavier of the 2.

Regards All
Richard

Hi Mark
Wish I was coming to even if I had to put up with the ancient clack, clack, clack, of that Nikon joking aside the 600mm is really useful with these birds as you well know. Hope you and Chas have a good time give him my best when you see him.

Todays offering

Todays Short Eared Owl Fact
Short-eared Owls make their own nests I must add it is quite basic though and this means they are unique among the owl family. Other owls normally use the nests of other bigger birds which they usurp , or nest in holes or boxes

Regards All
Richard

Hi Bryn
Thanks very much glad you are enjoying the thread

Todays Offering

Canon 1D mk4
Canon 600mm
Iso 640
F4
Shutter 1/ 1000

Todays Fact
Shorties like Open country , meadows, moorlands, marshes and open woodland nesting takes place on the ground.

Regards All
Richard

Last edited:
Hi All

Todays offering

Canon 1D mk 4
Canon 600mm F4 i.s
Iso 400
F 5.6
Shutter 1/1328

Short eared owl fact today
Diet most small mammals, especially voles and a great deal of insect life with even the odd small bird thrown in to the mix. They have been known if nesting around the coastal areas to take on gulls and other seabirds on a regular basis.

Regards
Richard

Great opportunities you are getting there and making good use of them :)

Hi Don, Jason and Gramps
Thanks very much glad you are enjoying the thread and images. Thanks Jason yes I am keeping ok I hope you are as well and getting out and doing a bit of photography.

Todays Offering

Canon 1D mk4
Canon 600mm
Iso 640
F 4
Shutter 1/1000

Todays fact
The Short Eared Owl has a way of flying like no other owl at best it is erratic it flaps it's wings in a high floppy motion. I once heard it described as moth like and that about sums it up for me.

Regards
Richard

Last edited:
Hi All

Todays offering

Canon 1D mk4
Canon 600mm f4 i.s
Iso 800
F4
Shutter 1/800

Fact of the day
The short eared owls scientific name Flammeus which means fiery.

Regards All
Richard

All lovely captures, not seen one in good light myself yet, so the only shots I've managed so far have been too noisy to share with anyone. Not sure just where you are, but just in case you're nearby or fancy a trip sometime, there are regular Shorty sightings along the Wirral side of the Dee estuary at Parkgate and Inner Marsh Farm..

Hi Glenn

I am Worcester based I do occasionally get up your way so I will send you a PM when I am thinking about coming up. Glad you like the images

Todays offering

Canon 7D
Canon 600mm F4 I.S
Iso 640
F5.6
Shutter 1/800

Shorties tend to consume there prey whole normally dispatching it with a bite to the back of the head/kneck area

Regards All
Richard

Hi Deno
Thanks very much glad you are enjoying them

Todays Offering

Canon 1D mk4
Canon 600mm
Iso 640
F 5.6
Shutter 1/1000

Todays Fact I just lifted this one as it was a heavy session last night and the old brain isn't fully working this morning :help:

UK resident birds 620-2,180 pairs UK wintering birds 5,000-50,000

Hi Jason and Russ

Glad you are enjoying them. At the moment Jason we are still on the earlier stuff I had a whole lot on the hard drive I hadn't touched so I went through and processed the lot by files. Earliest first so keep watching we have a way to go yet before we get to the newer stuff.

Todays Offering

Canon 1D mk4
Canon 600mm F4 i.s
Iso 400
F 5.6
Shutter 1/1600

Shorties can live till about 13 years of age.

Regards
Richard

Hi Mark
Thanks mate try company road
My mate got some stunning images along that stretch failing that Orkney is well worth a visit.
Sorry all I won't be able to post any images we are on holiday and there is no Internet access and I am posting this off my phone which hardly has any signal be a bonus for you when I get home you will have 7 more dodgy images to look at

Last edited:
Hi All
False alarm managed to get the internet connection I can now bore you all to death with my images again

Todays Offering

Todays shortie fact
shorties have concealed eartufts which are set near the centre of the forehead these are sometimes only visible when the bird is excited

Regards All
Richard

Back