A stroll around the park [in IR].

H

Hoodi

Went for a little stroll around Bute park this afternoon. Love that place, and the weather today was my favourite for Infra Red. Unlike most, my favourite IR conditions aren't bright, sunny days - but overcast, cloudy ones. With some cloud texture. And the sun popping out every now & then. Just like today!

For anyone who's even a little bit interested, I used these filters :
#1 - 87
#2 - 87C
#3 - 87
#4 - 89B

All shot on the D70, cos the D200 is ruuubish for IR! :razz:

Here's what I came up with :

transferredimage37copytr4.jpg

transferredimage39copyej7.jpg

transferredimage40copypz6.jpg

transferredimage41copyxc2.jpg

Really like the last one, not sure about the people in the first one.

I like 'em but prefer the first one. :shrug:

Number 1 and 2 for me - why does 2 remind me of a Japanese horror film - very evocative - lovely shots - 'fraid the sky doesn't work for me in the last one though.

Cheers for sharing your opinions chaps - always nice to know who likes what :)

I want an infra red flash so I can do interesting stuff in shots like #1 :LOL:

I love the colour / mono balance in the last one - beautifully subtle IMO

Grendel ~ glad you like it :)

Noah ~ heh! When do you get back? I've forgotten. Again.

Nice graphical effects. never have been too sure of infra-red as the medium as an artform. Great for aerial surveillance tho ;)

Don't worry, I struggle with solarization too....!

I love IR would shoot it all the time if I could! :)

I love IR, might try my hand at it sometime.

Number 2 for me Hoodi :0

I love IR, might try my hand at it sometime.
Go for it! But if you do, keep at it for a little while. It's not hard, per se - but it can take a wee while to get your head around :)

Ta for the comments.

What is the differences between the filters you've listed ? and I thought digital cameras had IR filters on them to cut out IR ?

I love IR and would love to shoot some but I am on a a Canon which don't do it properly :razz:

From above I agree and disagree with what has been said:

#1 better for having the people in it IMHO

#4 does nothing for me

#3 my fav! (y)

:wave:

What is the differences between the filters you've listed ? and I thought digital cameras had IR filters on them to cut out IR ?

The differences between the filters listed are density -

Least Dense
89B
87C
Most Dense

Digital cameras do have IR filters infront of the sensor to cut out IR, but they vary wildly in how effective they are. The "worse" they are, the more sensitive to IR the camera will be.
This is also why :
All shot on the D70, cos the D200 is ruuubish for IR!
The D200 has a much "better" IR filter, which makes for much worse IR photography ;)

What camera do you have, HUN? Some of the Canon's are pretty good for IR...

I have the 20D which does not appear to be very good at IR unless you buy the (more expensive) astronomy model!

Ah yes, the 20D is unfortunately pretty poor for IR, although it's still doable - fstopeleven does a fair bit of IR with his 20D :)

They sure are ;)

Get an 89B // R72 (same thing) filter to start with, though - they're the easiest to use, and work well on the most cameras.

great shots Hoodi. I still haven't used my IR filter as I haven't a clue what I'm doing, can't see a thing when it's on the front and I haven't got much patience for things when frustration starts to creep in. :bang:

Don't use the D200, that's your first starting point.
Just slap the D70 on a tripod, whack the ISO up, flick to manual focus slap the filter on & shoot on manual. Try a second or so and see what you get from there!

Back