A Summer at Westhay Moor (May-September 2014)

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
The wonderful SWT reserve at Westhay Moor on the Somerset Levels is a mix of lakes, rhines, bog moorland and woodland. Over the summer months it has been my destination of choice for dragonflies and damselflies, but it's a mecca for birds as well.
As the summer is drawing to a close I've been looking back through the snaps I've made over the summer months. Here's a selection. I hope you like them.

Great crested grebe
DSC_3870_zps9e876ded.jpg

Little egret
DSC_5518_zps055c6236.jpg

Kingfisher
DSC_6196FS_zps765d37a6.jpg

Great white egret
DSC_6991_zps43113943.jpg

Grey Heron
DSC_7128_zps66c3a097.jpg

Gadwall
DSC_7480_zpseaa9415e.jpg

Mallards
DSC_7708_zps3818e543.jpg

Longtailed tit
DSC_7790_zps54b6fe30.jpg

Mike.

Lovely set Mike- nice to see you're still out and about, doing what you enjoy

Les ;)

Lovely set Les I have spent 6 weeks every weekend in the Canada Lake hide at Shapwick trying to capture kingfishers. Quick story went to check out several of the hides Canada Lake 8 weeks ago Friday afternoon no camera with me. Sat in the hide for no more than two minutes 3 kingfishers pitch up two on the left hand perch and one on the left hand perch outside the hide. You can imagine having no camera I was somewhat miffed with myself! Been back several times to the Hide but no luck but did got a one of Otters that patrols outside the hide.

Moral of tale Always carry a camera, any camera:(

Lovely set Les
Hi Terry. It's Mike not Les, but thanks for the comments, and to Les and Derek as well. :)
Bad luck with your missed kingfisher. Mine was from the North hide at Westhay. Up to three birds have been seen from there at various times although I've only once had the close opportunity that provided the above shot. A friend of mine has had better luck from the same hide at times when I wasn't there.
Mike.

An excellent set Mike, a pleasure to look at those.

Lovely shots. I like the Kingfisher and Longtailed tit the most.

Westhay is a great place to go, it used to be one of my favorite places to go until a recent car smash and grab attempt, nothing was taken as I don't leave anything in the car but it puts me off going back there ):

Thanks Alison. Sorry to hear about your break-in. The site has become busier of late, so hopefully there's less opportunity for thieves to operate unseen.

Back