A trip to Africa Alive

No good without pics :D

I was thinking about that & decided that even tho Michaela works with animals, I really should be posting pictures of her in an animal section. :p

Hang on here is one with her playing with a rubber spitting Cobra

IMG_2123 by DJM1976, on Flickr

Lovely set John, the Hunting dog particularly. (y)
Just watch the framing though
More "negative space" to the way its looking and less behind,
And try not to clip paws etc :)
You obviously wound the iso right up for the Fennec's too.
You can use flash, (even the on board one will do)
but don't get them looking straight at you, if you do.
1) so you don't blind the poor sod
2) the eyes go to hell anyway.
(Somewhere around f/4 1/200th)
But also make sure your lens is tight against the glass or you will get terrible glare / reflections.

#6 did make me smile, it looked like the "natives" had been throwing spears and missing :D

Hang on here is one with her playing with a Cobra
:whistle:
:D

Last edited:
Lovely set John, the Hunting dog particularly. (y)
Just watch the framing though
More "negative space" to the way its looking and less behind,
And try not to clip paws etc :)
You obviously wound the iso right up for the Fennec's too.
You can use flash, (even the on board one will do)
but don't get them looking straight at you, if you do.
1) so you don't blind the poor sod
2) the eyes go to hell anyway.
(Somewhere around f/4 1/200th)
But also make sure your lens is tight against the glass or you will get terrible glare / reflections.

#6 did make me smile, it looked like the "natives" had been throwing spears and missing :D

:whistle:
:D

Thanks for the tips there Cobra :). As for the ISO on the Fennec's the pictures originally came out pitch black, but thanks to the wonders of Lightroom, I was able to get that picture. I had a hunch you would make some form of comment regarding Michaela and the Cobra. :D

You did well with the fennec foxes by the sounds of it would love to see them
The ringtails asleep shot is great though :)

OK those big eared buggers are so cute!!!

Nice to see so much of the spotted dog in focus, but as said, pity about the missing body parts (y)

Nice to see so much of the spotted dog in focus, but as said, pity about the missing body parts (y)

The African hunting dogs are superb, unfortunately they only have 2 of them there, both of which were pacing up and down like expectant fathers, so had to pick the best out of a few shots I took of them, some of which had parts of their heads either missing or badly out of focus. :oops: :$

so had to pick the best out of a few shots I took of them, some of which had parts of their heads either missing or badly out of focus. :oops: :$
Don't worry too much, it'll come.
Its not quite as easy as you thought is it? ;)

Don't worry too much, it'll come.
Its not quite as easy as you thought is it? ;)

Too true Cobra, perhaps some sedation tablets or superglue is needed for future visits or a nice bit of steak to convince them to stay still for a few shots. :D

I went there last year and can't say I was that impressed :(, but I did get some baby porcupine pics
Love the african hunting dog, just a shame you cut the feet off, but a good shot none the less

I went there last year and can't say I was that impressed :(, but I did get some baby porcupine pics
Love the african hunting dog, just a shame you cut the feet off, but a good shot none the less

Damn don't think that I saw the porcupines :(, it is a shame that you wasn't impressed tho. I am a season ticket holder so I am able to get into Africa Alive & Banham at no cost, unfortunately Banham is a bit more difficult to get to by public transport and a cab, but is worth the visit. Next time I go to Africa Alive, I will attempt a full shot of the African hunting dog. :oops: :$

Can't argue with that Banham is a lovely Zoo, been a couple of times, first when the tiger cubs were 6 weeks old :love:

Porcupines were right next to farmyard corner, not far from the fennec foxes

Good pics John, almost dont want to put up mine of Chester zoo now, animals look much more alive and awake here than what I took - love the snake one hahaha, good shot.

Thanks Carl :), I hope that you have put up some pictures as even when they are asleep, some good pictures can be done. Thanks for the compliment on the snake shot, shame it was made of rubber. :D

Painted dogs are probably my favorite animal

Was privileged to see a den of approx 20 dogs and pups in Kruger this year.

Back