A trip to Glasgow

Just like any other town/city/village, it has its good and bad areas.

I love the first Metro shot Alf but it is a very interesting set of images all round. I've never done the Metro, I must.

I got chastised by security one time for setting up a tripod in the transport museum. :LOL:

Nice set. 6 through 9 are my favorites especially the last one. Is that someone dressed in a stormtrooper outfit with a BMX bike if so that's cool I definitely like that the most.

Photos certainly make it look that way :eek:

I've been to many cities around the UK and EU, yes there are good and bad area's of each - but Glasgow stands out as complete and utter crap hole with very little to redeem it compared to other places. It has earned a reputation, for a reason. I also happen to find it one of the most unwelcoming, unfriendly and myopic places in the world.

The pictures capture the general grottiness of the place and they are good.

Last edited:
Nice images Alf, the first few are quite ‘gritty’ ;)

I've been to many cities around the UK and EU, yes there are good and bad area's of each - but Glasgow stands out as complete and utter crap hole with very little to redeem it compared to other places. It has earned a reputation, for a reason. I also happen to find it one of the most unwelcoming, unfriendly and myopic places in the world.

It's just as I remember it. They images really do it good justice.

Couldn’t disagree more.

Glasgow is similar to any industrial city in terms of what it looks like.

The best thing about it is the people, there sense of community and great sense of humour.

One of the friendliest places to visit in the U.K. I have many friends there.

I think I need to go to Specsavers, when I looked at the 3rd one I saw two figures until I magnified to check if they were decorative or real :LOL:.

Some shots are like that

Nice pictures of my home city.

But I can admit it - it really is a dump.

Thanks Steve
I will be back again in a few weeks

Photos certainly make it look that way :eek:

Not too hard anywhere really

Just like any other town/city/village, it has its good and bad areas.

I love the first Metro shot Alf but it is a very interesting set of images all round. I've never done the Metro, I must.

I got chastised by security one time for setting up a tripod in the transport museum. :LOL:

Thanks Dale. I agree it is no worse than most cities.
The metro was the noisiest train I have ever been on in fact I sure I should been wearing ear defenders
I only shoot handheld on a trip like this with my camera also being small.:olympus:

Nice set. 6 through 9 are my favorites especially the last one. Is that someone dressed in a stormtrooper outfit with a BMX bike if so that's cool I definitely like that the most.

Thanks
That tram is in a museum and the storm trooper and BMX are exhibits but they made the shot for me.

Nice images Alf, the first few are quite ‘gritty’ ;)

Thanks Jak

It's just as I remember it. They images really do it good justice.

Thanks

Couldn’t disagree more.

Glasgow is similar to any industrial city in terms of what it looks like.

The best thing about it is the people, there sense of community and great sense of humour.

One of the friendliest places to visit in the U.K. I have many friends there.

I tend to agree with you

The metro was the noisiest train I have ever been on in fact I sure I should been wearing ear defenders
I only used it once in 2 years and decided to walk back instead for the return journey. I couldnt even stand upright properly, trains must be from Hobbit set

It has had a long slog from the post-industrial gloom. It was a place I rarely went - I remember visiting in the late 70s - early 80s and there were still WWII bomb sites fenced off.

Then I got a new job with our head office in Glasgow and found myself doing an overnight there every 4-6 weeks. I'd have a meal, have a couple of pints, then wend my way back to my hotel. I could go to Inverness do the same and speak to no-one all evening but the bar staff. That was impossible in Glasgow. There was sometimes a degree of negotiation around football teams, and an incredulous response when I said I wasn't interested in football, but there were some amazingly warm and friendly people.

One example - I went into quite a seedy pub ordered a pint and asked if they had any cigars. They hadn't and I started to drink my pint. The wee guy next to me never said a word, but shot out of the pub and was back about 3 minutes later. He slapped a cigar down on the bar in front of me and said: "Here ye go big man" A bit slow on the uptake I questioned what was going on and he said: "Well I heard you asking for a cigar, so I went to the offie and got ye wan."

It has had a long slog from the post-industrial gloom. It was a place I rarely went - I remember visiting in the late 70s - early 80s and there were still WWII bomb sites fenced off.

Then I got a new job with our head office in Glasgow and found myself doing an overnight there every 4-6 weeks. I'd have a meal, have a couple of pints, then wend my way back to my hotel. I could go to Inverness do the same and speak to no-one all evening but the bar staff. That was impossible in Glasgow. There was sometimes a degree of negotiation around football teams, and an incredulous response when I said I wasn't interested in football, but there were some amazingly warm and friendly people.

One example - I went into quite a seedy pub ordered a pint and asked if they had any cigars. They hadn't and I started to drink my pint. The wee guy next to me never said a word, but shot out of the pub and was back about 3 minutes later. He slapped a cigar down on the bar in front of me and said: "Here ye go big man" A bit slow on the uptake I questioned what was going on and he said: "Well I heard you asking for a cigar, so I went to the offie and got ye wan."

Not my experience at all. Hostile, aggressive and generally one of the nastiest places in the developed world.

If I never see the place again - it will be too soon.

Back