A Very Serious Mouse

sunnyside_up

<span class="poty">POTY (Joint) 2016</span>
Name
Bethy
Edit My Images
No
Following on from some of the other pics I did from this session, I've grown quite in love with this photo. It probably breaks a few rules, and a lot of people might not like the proportion of negative space it has, but my idea was so try to make her look a little smaller... but in keeping with a landscape aspect, which is my preferred crop. Or perhaps I've got it all wrong and am waaaaay overthinking it. :)

Anyway, thanks for looking, and again, I appreciate and welcome all feedback and criticism.

A Very Serious Mouse by Beth Botterill, on Flickr

Great shot and the crop looks right to me. I'm pretty new here but would just like to say you take some lovely kids portraits.

I love this Beth. Would it be cheeky of me to ask to see the un-edited version ;)
Cheeky!

I'll PM you. It's a personal thing... and it makes me feel all squishy doing it 'out there'... although admittedly have done it before. :)

You need some of those false size props. A huge lump of cheese! Love it. :)

I remember a pal telling me off for too many gimmicks in my shots sometimes, wonder who that was
I,d need to photograph cheese and a cartoon style mouse hole for this one haha
Lovely shot and I like your style Bethy

I think this image works in the crop you've used because of the lead lines formed by legs, arms, torso and tail, which all lead naturally to the face. The face is around the 2 fifths intersection, which I think is more powerful than thirds, and she is gently surrounded by the vignette that stops the background being too large, yet also give plenty or room.

Technical stuff aside, nice picture, and one I'm sure her parents will love. :)

Nothing wrong with this, all I can say is if that was my Daughter I'd be extremely chuffed!

I think this image works in the crop you've used because of the lead lines formed by legs, arms, torso and tail, which all lead naturally to the face. The face is around the 2 fifths intersection, which I think is more powerful than thirds, and she is gently surrounded by the vignette that stops the background being too large, yet also give plenty or room.

Technical stuff aside, nice picture, and one I'm sure her parents will love. :)

Exactly this, great feedback and a great image that deserves to be printed large

I remember a pal telling me off for too many gimmicks in my shots sometimes, wonder who that was
I,d need to photograph cheese and a cartoon style mouse hole for this one haha
Lovely shot and I like your style Bethy
Yeah, but your gimmicks were tacky!

lovely shot maybe crop a tad tighter, but well up to you usual high standards ;)

Les

Just wonder if even more space may work here. Either way I like it :)

Me too... so I've had a quick play (with the flickr file, not the original, so the extended canvas isn't quite right...and it's got a bit of quality loss) and I can see this working at making her 'smaller'. Might need to nip a bit more off the top, but thanks for the eyes Paul!

And thank you everyone for your kind comments.

View attachment 29618

Last edited:
That works quite well for me, sometimes empty space emphasises the subject. I used the edge of the browser to "crop" this square and it seemed to work well (and I don't normally like square crops o_O) what do you think?

I prefer the original post, even if there is a lot of space at the top.

I recently posted a pic of my wife where someone questioned the negative space to the right asking what it did for the image. The truth is i'm not sure it did add anything, but it sat better with me so that's why I kept it. Sometimes I do what feels right to me, rather than what others tell me is right.

Back