Beginner a walk round london

Name
paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, this is my first time at really shooting people apart from family and pounding the streets of london seem daunting at first but after my first couple of shots was really enjoying myself. Will def going back theres so much going on. Would love some comments and advice so i get better. Really enjoying my hobby, a chance can do wonders!

city5 by woody174, on Flickr

city people10 by woody174, on Flickr

city people 4 by woody174, on Flickr

city people 2 by woody174, on Flickr

city people 11 by woody174, on Flickr

city people1 by woody174, on Flickr

city people 6 by woody174, on Flickr

city7 by woody174, on Flickr

very nice, I know the feeling of being worried about reactions. Trying my hand at street photography myself.

Last edited:
Thanks both of you. I was worried but tbh nobody's bothered in the hustle of bustle of London about what your doing. To them your just another camera, just got my settings right and was trying to be discreet and shooting as if I've had every right to. I wouldn't shove a camera in any bodies face, but give them space to act natural. Next step to stop people in the street and capture some proper portraits, just need to push myself now and pluck up the nerve.

fantastic shots, Have a great nack of capturing street life

Nice set- I would have moved the bag out of shot in the last one personally ;) or cloned it out- and upped the contrast

Like this edit- hope you don't mind? Just to illustrate my idea

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Lez, fantastic edit. Tbh thought about cloning the bag and the picture does look better for the cloning. Was waiting for a white person to pass facing to the right hand Side as a contrast between black and white not being able to look at each other in the eye if that makes sense. But suddenly went quiet and a group of workmen on the other side of the street kept looking and were spooking me. Meant to revisit but there was so many things to shoot and got caught up in the moment. There's always next time!

Great set of street images Paul, well seen with good composition and the mono shots have a very good B&W conversion.(y)

George.

Thanks George, really pleased with my first efforts as it was a learning exercise more than anything. Itching to go back now so much to see.

Thanks Lez, fantastic edit. Tbh thought about cloning the bag and the picture does look better for the cloning. Was waiting for a white person to pass facing to the right hand Side as a contrast between black and white not being able to look at each other in the eye if that makes sense. But suddenly went quiet and a group of workmen on the other side of the street kept looking and were spooking me. Meant to revisit but there was so many things to shoot and got caught up in the moment. There's always next time!

You should have turned the lens on them. They would likely have shut up or been the perfect funny models for a shot.

Knowing my luck I'll would get my head caved in lol. Least it would have made a good street scene.

My pleasure Paul. glad you liked it. As you say there is always next time, well worth a revisit

I look forward to seeing more from you

I look for interesting people when I shoot street- like this one

Good luck

6312075_orig by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
The first three don't really do anything for me I'm afraid. The fourth had so much potential, but I can't help think you could have done more with it. He's performing so he's putting himself out there to be photographed - next time be brave and try and make a real street portrait of it. The following three are all ok... Nothing really going on but shot from interesting angles making use of the lines that were there.

The last shot could have been the pick of the bunch but the angle you've shot it at was an odd choice. Bag or no bag doesn't really bother me but it just doesn't show the whole scene. Could you have stepped the the right head on and waited for someone to walk past, towards "her" and shot a frame as though she was looking at him her? Next time if you stumble across something as photogenic as that just wait it out for someone or something to happen.

Anyway, good first attempt :)

Thanks for feedback uaeexile, street photography is an art and something to get to grips with. With the street performer I took loads but wanted to show him performing against a backdrop of the city. The other shots I took could have been shot on any beach. He was amazing performer, jolly and talked to the crowd during songs with jokes.
I will try to post another shot to see if it works better.
Once again Lez thanks for feedback and help, your work is inspirational and I love the lady

Thanks for feedback uaeexile, street photography is an art and something to get to grips with. With the street performer I took loads but wanted to show him performing against a backdrop of the city. The other shots I took could have been shot on any beach. He was amazing performer, jolly and talked to the crowd during songs with jokes.
I will try to post another shot to see if it works better.
Once again Lez thanks for feedback and help, your work is inspirational and I love the lady

Kind of you to say Paul, thank you

Les

Back