A7, A7ii or OMD EM5

Edit My Images
No
which should I get?

as a general purpose camera - mainly walk around

I have lots of M4/3 stuff, native and MF lens plus adaptors and VC and Leica lens

But the Sony FX sensors is very attractive and with the VM to E adaptor I can use my Leica and Voigtlander lens

but the ability to stick both on the end of a Nikon long lens on a tripod back at base is attractive

Good prices now for the A7 and OMD ……….. but the A7ii has IBIS

what do you reckon?

Last edited:
I have an A7 and a couple of MFT cameras and personally I think that MFT is good enough for most uses. I bought the A7 to use as my luxury kit :D for when I wanted the best images quality I could get and to use manual lenses on but in normal sized images viewed normally I think that MFT is good enough. I think that the differences only really become significant at the higher ISO's and when producing large pictures or viewing very closely.

I am still thinking about the A7II and the big differences to me are obviously the IS and the repositioning of the shutter button. The shutter button on the top of the original A7 doesn't bother me and although IS will always be a help I'm not too sure that it's enough to make me want to sell my A7 and get the new model and if looking at buying into the system today I think I might be tempted towards the original if it was a good deal... if the prices are anywhere near comparable I'd say go for the II.

As you want to use your existing lenses maybe an A7 series camera will make a lot of sense? Personally I think that MFT and a FF camera make a good partnership and I intend keeping both :D

With manual lenses the IBIS the OMD and A7ii offer have got to be worthwhile. I wish I had the IBIS in my Fuji XT1, it would have helped me a lot.

If your planning putting your Nikon lenses on the camera you would think the A7 would be a better bet as it's FF and should get the best out of them?

I have an A7 and a couple of MFT cameras and personally I think that MFT is good enough for most uses. I bought the A7 to use as my luxury kit :D for when I wanted the best images quality I could get and to use manual lenses on but in normal sized images viewed normally I think that MFT is good enough. I think that the differences only really become significant at the higher ISO's and when producing large pictures or viewing very closely.

I am still thinking about the A7II and the big differences to me are obviously the IS and the repositioning of the shutter button. The shutter button on the top of the original A7 doesn't bother me and although IS will always be a help I'm not too sure that it's enough to make me want to sell my A7 and get the new model and if looking at buying into the system today I think I might be tempted towards the original if it was a good deal... if the prices are anywhere near comparable I'd say go for the II.

As you want to use your existing lenses maybe an A7 series camera will make a lot of sense? Personally I think that MFT and a FF camera make a good partnership and I intend keeping both :D

A7 is now £999 and A7ii £1,599 at WEX …… kit lens seems to add £200

"greys" are £799 and £775 at Panamoz for A7 and Kit 28 70mm seems to add £120 ish …. "greys" do not seem to have A7ii yet

Hi Bill,

As you may remember, I have full frame Nikon and I also have a V1 with lenses / FT1 as my lightweight gear.

I love the images from the V1 but it is lacking at high ISO, there is a lack of a fast wide prime (f/2.8 isn't fast enough) and the lack of DoF I find a little restrictive.

So. I have just bought an EM10 to see if it can address these issues. The key for me is the vast array of excellent lenses and that the latest sensory is reportedly great - the thought of fast primes with IBIS is quite exciting!

Not used it yet and I only have the pancake zoom at the moment (soon to be corrected) so can't give you any conclusions I'm afraid...

I am half wondering that if the image quality is good enough I might end up scrapping Nikon and getting an EM1 is my 'proper' camera.

Last edited:
Back