A700 vs. 40D for Landscapes

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi.

Any advice what is the better choice for someone who want second hand camera, mostly for shooting mostly landscapes, including night photography and low-light shooting(still landscapes). Not desperate for great high ISO performance but would be nice if ISO400-800 would be still ok for prints.

What else? Would be nice to have some kind of weather seal, even the most basic one.

Apart from camera specs, Iam after great colours and very good sharpness.

Any other options in similar price range?
Thanks

i don't know much about canon, but the sony apparently is well made and with good features

if into landscape a nice ultra wide lens would be my choice ;-)

Colour and sharpness are down to the lens more than the body IMO.

Best thing you could do is go and have a try with the cameras in a shop.

Colour and sharpness are down to the lens more than the body IMO.

Best thing you could do is go and have a try with the cameras in a shop.

I would agree and would say if you blindly bought either, I think you'd be happy. But Sony and Canon's do handle differently.

But if you are looking for a comparision, look on DXO Mark:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en.../180|0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Sony/(brand2)/Canon

There are lots of dicussions whether DXO Mark is a good way to compare 'sensors/image processing' or not, but at least it will give you some idea.

There isn't a lot between the two cameras looking at the graphs, and there seems to be advantages to either camera depending on the conditions (e.g. the Sony had about 0.5EV more DR at Base ISO, but less DR at Higher ISOs)

I've always thought that the A700 was slightly better than the 40D (at least for my needs) & I'm pretty sure that you'll find that whilst not officially water/weatherproof it's better than the 40D in that regard.

Back