"Abandoned Silos"

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
Took this of a pair of abandoned silos on a disused farm near Oakland, TN. The photograph was taken around dawn one early summer morning.

abandoned silos.jpg

All C&C welcome, as usual.

Nigel

nice shot, i think there a few perspectives to play with on these

I like the early morning light too. My instinct would have been to make this a portrait shot. What do you think :thinking:

Jean

Hi Jean

Thank you for your comment and your excellent question. Yes, I did think about a portrait orientation for this at the time, given the tall shape of the silos, but it just didn't work out the same way. The portrait version looked too much like a documentary photograph of a farm. Instead, I was after a more pastoral look, especially with the cornfield in front.

Your great comment does highlight the need to check our "seeing" at the time. Instinct does say to photograph tall stuff in portrait and wide stuff in landscape, but sometimes we might need to look at it a little differently.

Nigel

I haven't seen one of yours that I haven't liked yet (although that wonky lampshade in the apartment shot was annoying me ;) )

As already mentioned - really nice early morning light, its not so strong as to overpower the rest of the natural colours going on in there and I also like how the edge of green at the bottom adds to the interest.

Back