(Added Measurements) The Madness of Extreme Macro...

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
Well I finally decided to put the 1.4x TC onto my reversed kit lens. Well I was well excited.

No Crops.

1. Awesome Haircut

Bugs RKLTC-5898-29
by bthomas124, on Flickr

2. 55mm Infinity focus

Bugs RKLTC-5874-14
by bthomas124, on Flickr

3. 18mm closest focus

Bugs RKLTC-5877-15
by bthomas124, on Flickr

4. 35mm infinity focus

Bugs RKLTC-5884-20
by bthomas124, on Flickr

5. 18mm infinity focus

Bugs RKLTC-5886-21
by bthomas124, on Flickr#

6. 18mm closest focus

Bugs RKLTC-5887-22
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Bugs RKLTC-5872-12
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Bugs RKLTC-5869-11
by bthomas124, on Flickr

All comments welcome and appreciated.

:ty:

Last edited:
Greattttttt shots Bryn, in fact awesome shots.
Now try this set up with some tubes on :eek::eek::eek::D

Thanks everyone...

@Graham unfortunately this set up suffers light bounce when using tubes or an auto adapter so I would have to think of another way to light and that may be lot more awkward, Its quite a small light set up.

Amazing Bryn. I reckon you are getting at ~5x magnification now, maybe a bit more. Excellent! I might flog my MP-E on ebay ;)

Thanks Carl, Les, Stephen, Timmy for your comments.

@TimmyG I think I may have pushed it a little further but will have to shoot a ruler. If you put it on ebay you might find its me that buys it. :)

Interesting, my ~ (approx.) symbol on the phone, comes through as - (negative) here. I meant you were getting around 5x or above in case there was any confusion.

I'm after a 400mm prime next Bryn. Can you get the kit lens to emulate that?

Interesting, my ~ (approx.) symbol on the phone, comes through as - (negative) here. I meant you were getting around 5x or above in case there was any confusion.

I'm after a 400mm prime next Bryn. Can you get the kit lens to emulate that?

Its ok I knew what you meant, 400mm prime would be awesome bit of kit what is your plan for it? Might be a little heavy for butterflies inflight etc... I'm going to get a 2x TC and stick that on my Tammy for that reason.

I probably exhausted the use of the kit now tbh think lighting is going to be an issue if I try tubes etc.

Bryn, These are "Excellent" shots, really looking forward to seeing some more.(y)

George.

Thanks I think you have more patience than me with your excellent toadstool pictures. :) probably takes longer to shoot than this.

I'm lucky my subjects (the mushy's & stools) don't move, these on the other hand are living and no doubt they are wanting to make their escape as soon as they see the lens getting close.

Very nice high mag shots, Bryn. Guessing you were at around 4.2:1? Maybe you can shoot an mm ruler to confirm.

Thanks Kurt with just standard kit lens in my setup was 3.9:1 so with 1.4x TC guess that may increase to late 4's but will shoot a ruler, I have one with 1/2mm on it so that is great to use.

I'm lucky my subjects (the mushy's & stools) don't move, these on the other hand are living and no doubt they are wanting to make their escape as soon as they see the lens getting close.

The ear wig was quite patient I was surprised maybe to was shocked to have a light thrust in its face. Lol

Thanks Simon much appreciated

Last edited:
Nice- I may try the 1.4TC on my Sigma 105mm

Les

....The Kenko 1.4x 300 Pro DGX works well on my Canon 100mm Macro (the Canon 1.4x doesn't fit that lens). It even works well with onboard flash insofar as it doesn't cast nasty shadows.

....The Kenko 1.4x 300 Pro DGX works well on my Canon 100mm Macro (the Canon 1.4x doesn't fit that lens). It even works well with onboard flash insofar as it doesn't cast nasty shadows.

This is the same 1.4X TC I'm using :) bloody excellent and is going to be the 2x TC version I will get next.

Ok all @TimmyG @orionmystery @Carlh

I have shot a ruler...

55mm @ Infinity Focus

RKL with 1.4x TC-5902-01
by bthomas124, on Flickr

23.5mm scene width 0.95:1 so slightly bigger than 1:1

18mm @ closest focus

RKL with 1.4x TC-5907-02
by bthomas124, on Flickr

3.5mm scene width works out to be 6.42:1 though as its slightly larger than 3.5 I'll call it 3.8mm 5.92:1

Hope that helps and I have done the calculation correct.

Well I have to say the composition is way off :D, the subject appears to be on a slope (can you say slope?):D and the bokeh is non existent :D........all tongue in cheek of course, apart from that now I know what a steel ruler looks like close up.

Great stuff Bryn.

How do you calculate magnification achieved out of any set up?

Well I have to say the composition is way off :D, the subject appears to be on a slope (can you say slope?):D and the bokeh is non existent :D........all tongue in cheek of course, apart from that now I know what a steel ruler looks like close up.

Lol thanks for the tips... the subject was very awkward possibly the hardest subject I have ever had. :D

Great stuff Bryn.

How do you calculate magnification achieved out of any set up?

Well they way I think it works is.

Take the longest side of the sensor (width) in my case 22.5mm divided by measurement of a ruler.

So for me 1:1 is a scene width of 22.5mm

So a scene width of 45mm would be 1:2
Scene width of 22.5mm would be 1:1
Scene width of 11.25 would be 2:1

Hope that makes sense

Great stuff! Mad depth of field at this scale :)

It is indeed... but thats part of the fun of this new experience. Need to work out some more lighting/diffusion but your website will help with that :)

I would think that at this working distance, quite low levels of light could be used to illuminate the subjects - a couple of LEDs might be enough, especially the ultra bright types. Only problem might be getting them in daylight (or at least full visible spectrum) as far as WB goes. Usual trick of a fag paper or similar should diffuse it enough too, at least as a proof of concept.

Very cool Bryn, good set of technical comparisons.

I would think that at this working distance, quite low levels of light could be used to illuminate the subjects - a couple of LEDs might be enough, especially the ultra bright types. Only problem might be getting them in daylight (or at least full visible spectrum) as far as WB goes. Usual trick of a fag paper or similar should diffuse it enough too, at least as a proof of concept.

I wish that was true... I use a high powered torch as a focus light then overpower that with flash set at 1/32 roughly though the plan is to try 2x 3 bulb set of ultra bright leds again though the plan was for this to be a focus assist light rather than the dominant light. Infact I did nearly buy this from SRB Clicky Linky but was told by the seller its really not powerful enough to light subjects. Also the arms were too small.

Very cool Bryn, good set of technical comparisons.

Thanks mate, I really love being close

Awesome. Impressive execution Bryn.

Thanks, think my execution needs improvement but its good to know I'm on track

Amazing work Bryn the head on portrait of a springtail is fantastic:)

Back