Critique Adder Shots

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
I am relatively new here, but posted a thread about hares looking for critique and got some excellent feedback and advice which has inspired me to return for more!

Below are a few adder images i have taken, the majority have been cropped in some way albeit usually a small amount. I have PP'd them in LR4 although my skills are limited. I have included my own thoughts on these images to see how they align with others views.

This is one of my favourites, although i really couldn't decide on the crop and i feel its not got enough colour/vibrance. Also this small version looks a little over sharpened on here but not so much on flickr.
Adder - Vipera berus by AlexEames, on Flickr

Again i like the pose of the snake but the focus isnt great.

Kept this one largely for the tongue... a little bit cluttered maybe? does it work?

Don't think i cropped this one...

A slightly older image, but i quite like this one. Just annoying bit of focus on the grass lower right of the snakes head.
European Adder - Viperus berus by AlexEames, on Flickr

Comment much appreciated

Last edited:
Hi Alex,
No expert here but my thoughts
First three shot at 2.8 might of paid you to go a little higher
#1 perhaps a square crop , focus on the coil
#2 higher than 2.8
#4 Nice
#5 Crisp head shot , but I can see what you mean as your eye dose get pulled to that area of grass , but these things don't pose for you in the ideal location

Walk the area you suggested for the first time today ,nice bit of ground ,no Adders but did spot one Grass snake ,common lizards ,buck Roe deer and various other stuff .
Only lived up here for 20 odd years and never knew it excited ,so cheers

Hi Alex,
No expert here but my thoughts
First three shot at 2.8 might of paid you to go a little higher
#1 perhaps a square crop , focus on the coil
#2 higher than 2.8
#4 Nice
#5 Crisp head shot , but I can see what you mean as your eye dose get pulled to that area of grass , but these things don't pose for you in the ideal location

Walk the area you suggested for the first time today ,nice bit of ground ,no Adders but did spot one Grass snake ,common lizards ,buck Roe deer and various other stuff .
Only lived up here for 20 odd years and never knew it excited ,so cheers

All of these shots were taken on that site. The best bet is to get up on the motorway side of the north part of the reserve. Thats where i've had the best success. As you say fantastic for grass snakes too, especially by the ponds.

The roe deer are usually about, but often on the golf course during the day.

Thanks for the critique i'lll have a play with the crop you suggested on the coil. I suppose at a higher aperture i'd get a greater depth of field and not have such a tight focus area.

Back