Advice needed on which head, please?....

My main worry about lever clamps is that it's quite easy to imagine a scenario, and one that isn't too unlikely, where something (say, a camera strap) can unlock it. This is virtually impossible with a screw clamp.

To be fair, a lot of lever-clamps have a safety catch that prevents the lever opening accidentally. However, that's a good example of how another mechanical device has to be introduced to overcome a potential problem that doesn't exist with screw clamps. Paul TB makes another good point, too - levers tend to be either fully locked or fully unlocked which is not so secure when sliding a heavy lens into optimum balance, though again some lever clamps address this as part of the safety catch business.

On the other hand, I guess it should be said that some folks prefer lever locks. All I would say is, try before you buy because they're not the all-round improvement that they appear to be at first glance.

Robin that is your choice, I would get the one with the clamp fitted, unless you have a spare clamp lying around at home.

That head seems to have spring loaded locking pins to the lens foot, which makes changing very quick. I have a similar system on my tripod head, which is a old West Germany made Cullmann Head.

No, the pins in the base of the clamp are fixed. They're a kind of extension device needed to form the standard safety stops because that clamp is dual purpose and can also be used with the smaller Arca-Swiss dovetail system (the one that nobody else uses LOL).

Many Thanks, guys :)

I'm getting the strong message that it's better (safer) to get a screw clamp rather than lever. So my next question is whether you advise me just buying the basic Arca-Swiss P0....

<snip>

I have the P0 in the second pic, with the standard Classic screw-clamp, but I have to say it's one of my least favourite A-S type clamps. The double-dovetail rails can make location of the lens foot a little less certain at times and you have to check positioning more carefully. The screw thread is also quite slow.

I keep meaning to change it to this excellent Acratech version that is my favourite as mentioned earlier http://www.acratech.net/quick-release-clamps/quick-release-clamp-with-rubber-knob but removing original-fit A-S clamps is notoriously difficult and not for the faint-hearted. The better option is to get the P0 head without any clamp, as the first pic, but when fitting you need to be sure the clamp cannot rotate and unscrew. It looks like there is a locating hole for this but I've not actually done it yet so proceed at your own risk and expect some DIY improvisation.

Sorry, this is getting a bit complicated!

To be fair, a lot of lever-clamps have a safety catch that prevents the lever opening accidentally. However, that's a good example of how another mechanical device has to be introduced to overcome a potential problem that doesn't exist with screw clamps. Paul TB makes another good point, too - levers tend to be either fully locked or fully unlocked which is not so secure when sliding a heavy lens into optimum balance, though again some lever clamps address this as part of the safety catch business.

On the other hand, I guess it should be said that some folks prefer lever locks. All I would say is, try before you buy because they're not the all-round improvement that they appear to be at first glance.

....Yes I have noticed in video demos that, surprisingly for a company with products of such high quality, the safety 'catch' on the Arca-Swiss Quickset Fliplock is fiddly. Levers feel more tactile and positive but the time saved vs screw clamp operation is probably lost by the safety catch! So, I can understand the good advice you and others are giving me.

I have the P0 in the second pic, with the standard Classic screw-clamp, but I have to say it's one of my least favourite A-S type clamps. The double-dovetail rails can make location of the lens foot a little less certain at times and you have to check positioning more carefully. The screw thread is also quite slow.

I keep meaning to change it to this excellent Acratech version that is my favourite as mentioned earlier http://www.acratech.net/quick-release-clamps/quick-release-clamp-with-rubber-knob but removing original-fit A-S clamps is notoriously difficult and not for the faint-hearted. The better option is to get the P0 head without any clamp, as the first pic, but when fitting you need to be sure the clamp cannot rotate and unscrew. It looks like there is a locating hole for this but I've not actually done it yet so proceed at your own risk and expect some DIY improvisation.

Sorry, this is getting a bit complicated!

....The detail is important, Richard, so this discussion has not got too complicated as far as I am concerned :) - This whole monopod+ballhead rig is going to cost me relatively serious money and so I need to get it right and also it's potentially very helpful to others who read this far in the thread!

I found this Acratech approved dealer up north (I'm down south) and this is the plate mount you are referring to. The notchy knob will make a positive difference to screw action [Ooops! that doesn't sound quite right!] :D ....

http://www.bobrigby.com/acratech/quickreleaseclamp.html

Blue Loctite to add to a secure fix to the Arca-Swiss P0?

Last edited:
I have the Canon 100-400mm II, it would be a waste to use it on a Gimbal if you found the Canon 100-400mm II a bit heavy for a walkabout lens, use a Black Rapid strap.

.... @jm2 Joe, do you hang your Canon 100-400mm II from a BlackRapid strap? From the lens collar or the camera body, please?

So, the way to go seems to be a Kirk plate on each of my lens collars which will then fit an Acratech screw clamp fixed on a 'basic' Arca-Swiss P0 ball head on a Gitzo GM3551 monopod.

Have you had a look at the 3LT 'Bob' monopods.... Just thinking that may also fit your requirements.

Have you had a look at the 3LT 'Bob' monopods.... Just thinking that may also fit your requirements.

....Hmm, it does fit my requirements regarding compact size, material (carbon rigidity and touch), weight, loading (18kg), but there are features about the Gitzo such as very rigid 6X carbon and G-lock which are probably more proven (plus lifetime guarantee) even though the Gitzo GM3551 I have chosen is almost twice the price.

Rightly or wrongly, I reckon I would always be wondering about how the 3LT monopod will last over time and hard use in the English jungle whereas a Gitzo gives me peace of mind.

Do you use a 3LT monopod, Pete?

....The detail is important, Richard, so this discussion has not got too complicated as far as I am concerned :) - This whole monopod+ballhead rig is going to cost me relatively serious money and so I need to get it right and also it's potentially very helpful to others who read this far in the thread!

I found this Acratech approved dealer up north (I'm down south) and this is the plate mount you are referring to. The notchy knob will make a positive difference to screw action [Ooops! that doesn't sound quite right!] :D ....

http://www.bobrigby.com/acratech/quickreleaseclamp.html

Blue Loctite to add to a secure fix to the Arca-Swiss P0?

Bob Rigby is the only official UK Acratech dealer, and I've found them very helpful (y) though that isn't the clamp I would choose. BR can get anything you want to order of course.

The way the Arca-Swiss P0 head is supposed to be used, ie with a camera L-bracket, means that it never has to be flipped over for a vertical shot. Therefore, you don't get that heavy twisting force on the clamp and Loctite might be enough. If you're mechanically inclined, make your own judgement on that.

.... @jm2 Joe, do you hang your Canon 100-400mm II from a BlackRapid strap? From the lens collar or the camera body, please?

From the lens collar! Lots of ways to do that, but having tried a few I've ended up using a small A-S clamp along these lines http://digitaler-augenblick.de/gurt...pid-oder-sunsiniper-und-wechselsystem-jawohl/ A quick google search threw that up, and lots of others similar. Good/cheap clamps on Amazon/ebay.

So, the way to go seems to be a Kirk plate on each of my lens collars which will then fit an Acratech screw clamp fixed on a 'basic' Arca-Swiss P0 ball head on a Gitzo GM3551 monopod.

That should do the trick, though if you want to save some cash a carbon-fibre Gitzo monopod is a bit of a luxury. Much as I like Gitzo tripods, a monopod doesn't benefit nearly so much from that standard of mechanical excellence and the weight saving over aluminium is tiny with monopods.

FWIW ~ I also use a BR strap and IMO it is very good indeed.

With my 100-400 fitted I attach to the tripod mount, if the 24-105 I attach to the L Plate. On the BR strap I have fitted a Whimberley C-12 clamp..................perhaps overkill for the L Plate linkage because the weight is low but with the 100-400 (or other heavier lenses?) the C-12 is good as far as I ma concerned. Incidently for peace of mind I also use the BR Tether kit strap :)

....Hmm, it does fit my requirements regarding compact size, material (carbon rigidity and touch), weight, loading (18kg), but there are features about the Gitzo such as very rigid 6X carbon and G-lock which are probably more proven (plus lifetime guarantee) even though the Gitzo GM3551 I have chosen is almost twice the price.

Rightly or wrongly, I reckon I would always be wondering about how the 3LT monopod will last over time and hard use in the English jungle whereas a Gitzo gives me peace of mind.

Do you use a 3LT monopod, Pete?

Robin, I dont know if its suitable or of interest to you, but there is a Gitzo Carbon Monopod, model GM2541 in the classifieds. Looking at the ad, it's only been used for a few days.

link > https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/gitzo-carbon-monopod-gm2541-for-sale.576211/

Robin, I dont know if its suitable or of interest to you, but there is a Gitzo Carbon Monopod, model GM2541 in the classifieds. Looking at the ad, it's only been used for a few days.

link > https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/gitzo-carbon-monopod-gm2541-for-sale.576211/

....Hey!! THANK YOU!! I was looking at the GM3551 which has a max loading of 18kg. The GM2541 for sale has a max loading of 12kg - That would be fine for a Arca-Swiss P0 ballhead + Canon 100-400mm II + occasionally a Canon 1.4x + 7D2, wouldn't it? < Silly question, of course it would!

Last edited:
135 posts on what monopod and head! Who'd have thought it :)

.... :D But we have had a very full discussion on various options and all their details. I have certainly learnt a lot and will have benefitted when my rig is complete.

I have also learned a lot from this thread and have bookmarked for when I purchase a new tripod and head shortly. Been a interesting read.

This looks very nice, I seem to recall CT buying,or thinking of buying one.

http://www.bobrigby.com/acratech/longlenshead.html

I own one of them. It's a tilting head, more suited to monopod use with a camera.

I bought it before I started photography. It's excellent for use with a spotting scope looking for waterbirds, where you want easy movement horizontally, but no movement vertically. I set it up with the scope pointing at the right height, then slowly pan left/right by pushine with my nose. I can scan a whole beach with my hands in my pockets.

I own one of them. It's a tilting head, more suited to monopod use with a camera.

I bought it before I started photography. It's excellent for use with a spotting scope looking for waterbirds, where you want easy movement horizontally, but no movement vertically. I set it up with the scope pointing at the right height, then slowly pan left/right by pushine with my nose. I can scan a whole beach with my hands in my pockets.
Is the quality a fair reflection of the price bud?

....Looks like a quality bit of kit - I watched a comprehensive video review of it. Although it does look like a piece of Victorian engineering but that doesn't matter! Equivalent to a vintage Bentley rather than a modern Porsche.

As far as using it on a monopod is concerned, I rejected it because it is restrictive on the angle where you can 'anchor' your leg - It's 2-way and not 3-way nor any-way tilt which a ball head offers. When you are moving around seeking wildlife it's surprising how you need to arrange your leg when using a monopod. It's also a relatively big heavy beast much more suited to a tripod, in my opinion.

I need to read this again just to check you haven't decided to do the sensible thing and go handheld :D

....The really sensible thing to do is go handheld but ALSO have a good monopod and head with you. Unless of course you prefer to sit in one spot all day.

It's 2-way and not 3-way nor any-way tilt which a ball head offers.

Which is the main reason why I hate using a ballhead on a monopod, especially with a big lens. It's just too floppy with too many degrees of freedom. I always end up feeling like I need an extra hand. Still, I guess it's horses for courses.

Which is the main reason why I hate using a ballhead on a monopod, especially with a big lens. It's just too floppy with too many degrees of freedom. I always end up feeling like I need an extra hand. Still, I guess it's horses for courses.

....I agree in that I can see that a really big lens could be too floppy and that would be a nightmare. However, the tension adjustability which the Arca-Swiss P0 ballheads have defies belief - I watched a French YouTube vid with a massive plate camera on one and it didn't slip or flop when still unlocked but at an angle!

My Gitzo monopod arrives tomorrow (bought on TP Classifieds thanks to Swanseajack) and I'll mount my Manfrotto 3-way head on it for now. Then later when I get the Canon 100-400mm I'll drive over to Robert White's shop and check out the Arca-Swiss before buying anything.

I just found the perfect solution for a speedy BlackRapid to-n-from monopod via lens foot with plate fitted (not via camera body as video shows) but it's horrendously expensive at £125. Acratech Swift Clamp....

....I agree in that I can see that a really big lens could be too floppy and that would be a nightmare. However, the tension adjustability which the Arca-Swiss P0 ballheads have defies belief - I watched a French YouTube vid with a massive plate camera on one and it didn't slip or flop when still unlocked but at an angle!

My Gitzo monopod arrives tomorrow (bought on TP Classifieds thanks to Swanseajack) and I'll mount my Manfrotto 3-way head on it for now. Then later when I get the Canon 100-400mm I'll drive over to Robert White's shop and check out the Arca-Swiss before buying anything.

I just found the perfect solution for a speedy BlackRapid to-n-from monopod via lens foot with plate fitted (not via camera body as video shows) but it's horrendously expensive at £125. Acratech Swift Clamp....

Somewhat cheaper at £12, nice and light http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KGUCEWQ/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2HHQ25UNGL8HR

Though personally I'd go for this one at £14 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3H1KL2PTEXAP1 It's very high quality and I know it also has a double-speed thread lock (y)

Somewhat cheaper at £12, nice and light http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KGUCEWQ/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2HHQ25UNGL8HR

Though personally I'd go for this one at £14 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3H1KL2PTEXAP1 It's very high quality and I know it also has a double-speed thread lock (y)

....I would for the second one too - The one in the first link would be far too fiddly I reckon.

I'm glad I posted the Acratech Swift Clamp!

....I would for the second one too - The one in the first link would be far too fiddly I reckon.

I'm glad I posted the Acratech Swift Clamp!

Just make sure your lens plate (Kirk?) has lock-stops - the two shiny little studs you can see underneath at the extreme ends here (middle pic) http://www.amazon.co.uk/FITTEST-DPL...308870&sr=1-20&keywords=arca+swiss+lens+plate

That's the standard Arca-Swiss security system. The studs protrude about 1mm or so and won't allow the plate to slide beyond the corresponding cut-outs in a standard A-S type clamp.

Did you prefer the ballhead I linked to over a gimbal head?

Mounted on a tripod rather than a monopod.

Sorry for going a bit off topic RR.

I use a clamp with a safety lanyard. I don't use BR type clip straps anymore; but if I did I would seriously consider these plates instead.

BTW, I just weighed my new-to-me CF G3551 and my old (early 90's) G1563 reporter (aluminum)... The aluminum G1563 actually weighs slightly less (4oz), but it is also slightly shorter at max extension (64").

Sorry for going a bit off topic RR.

....No problem, Ade - The topic has broadened and to everyone's benefit I think. Sharing our knowledge about all the alternatives is very useful and helps us when choosing what to buy. Good camera gear isn't cheap and it's better if we can avoid the wrong choices.

I use a clamp with a safety lanyard. I don't use BR type clip straps anymore; but if I did I would seriously consider these plates instead.

BTW, I just weighed my new-to-me CF G3551 and my old (early 90's) G1563 reporter (aluminum)... The aluminum G1563 actually weighs slightly less (4oz), but it is also slightly shorter at max extension (64").

....I would expect that your carbon 'reporter' is more rigid though and that helps.

Those Fusion plates are very neat but I think that what interferes with the speed of unhitching from the BlackRapid strap is actually their hooking system and so adding a clamp so it lives on the BR and consequently you simply have a plate to release, would be the better solution.

Currently I have BR 'swing loops' fitted to the underside of my Manfrotto RC2 plates - They replace the Manfrotto 'swing loops' (I don't know what they're called).

....I would expect that your carbon 'reporter' is more rigid though and that helps.
"Rigidity" in an inherently unstable system isn't a big deal. And I doubt the CF is "more rigid" as it has an additional tube of smaller diameter.

After wearing 1/2 way thru a couple of the BR clips I swapped them out for "SS trigger snap hooks." Then I quit using the BR straps...

"Rigidity" in an inherently unstable system isn't a big deal. And I doubt the CF is "more rigid" as it has an additional tube of smaller diameter.

....To quote Gary @Gaz J from an earlier post in this thread:
"Carbon Fibre is 3 times stiffer than steel or aluminium for a given weight. So whilst two tripods may be a similar weight it allows the CF one to be designed and built much stiffer than the aluminium one. Different layers and direction of wrapping the carbon fibre allows stiffness in different directions. Also carbon fibre composities maintain their mechanical properties under load and dont deteriorate over time. They also dont expand or contract in hot or cold conditions.

Ive never used any carbon tripod other than a Gitzo and after using a Gitzo I wouldnt want to."

Additionally, the lowest and thinnest tube(s) on a monopod (or tripod) are what I extend only if I need to and so their 'rigidity' or flex doesn't often come into play.

Anyway, this is all perhaps a bit academic because I am more comfortable with the tactile feel of carbonfibre in my hands in all weathers - I'm not saying that aloominum is rubbish.

....To quote Gary @Gaz J from an earlier post in this thread:
"Carbon Fibre is 3 times stiffer than steel or aluminium for a given weight. So whilst two tripods may be a similar weight it allows the CF one to be designed and built much stiffer than the aluminium one. Different layers and direction of wrapping the carbon fibre allows stiffness in different directions. Also carbon fibre composities maintain their mechanical properties under load and dont deteriorate over time. They also dont expand or contract in hot or cold conditions.

Ive never used any carbon tripod other than a Gitzo and after using a Gitzo I wouldnt want to."

Additionally, the lowest and thinnest tube(s) on a monopod (or tripod) are what I extend only if I need to and so their 'rigidity' or flex doesn't often come into play.

Anyway, this is all perhaps a bit academic because I am more comfortable with the tactile feel of carbonfibre in my hands in all weathers - I'm not saying that aloominum is rubbish.

If it's rigid support you're wanting, most of the flex in a tripod is in the joints rather than in the tubing itself. So choose three leg sections rather than four, extend the fattest sections first, and leave a couple of inches of leg inside the upper section. That can make a big difference and the only exception is Gitzo - they have exceptionally good leg joints. Only extend the centre-column when actually needed.

I must have tested about 30 tripods in the last couple of years (for work) and in terms of support, I can't say there's any significant performance difference between carbon-fibre and aluminium. CF is about one third lighter overall, but costs twice as much. CF is warmer to the touch, but the only parts of a tripod I actually touch are the foam-covered leg area, and the joints. Almost every tripod has at least one leg foam covered, the notable exception being Gitzo where that's an optional extra. Twist-locks are self-adjusting for wear and more robust over many years of use; lever-locks are faster and easier, but more prone to catch on things like undergrowth - personal choice.

Those plates look neat (y) but only available in one length. Much cheaper clones also available on e bay. Another attachment method I like is the Luma Membrane http://luma-labs.com/products/m-connect

Those plates look neat (y) but only available in one length. Much cheaper clones also available on e bay. Another attachment method I like is the Luma Membrane http://luma-labs.com/products/m-connect

....That Luma system looks as if it works very well if you are not wanting to quickly transfer your camera body or its lens collar plate onto either a monopod or tripod.

....That Luma system looks as if it works very well if you are not wanting to quickly transfer your camera body or its lens collar plate onto either a monopod or tripod.

Not fully understanding what you mean there RR. With the Luma Membrane the idea is to have a separate one (and plate) for every lens/camera.

One advantage of the small Arca-Swiss clamp method (eg like this - random google link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2216...3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108 ) is you can slide it along the plate to adjust balance. I also find that feature useful with a double Black Rapid strap - I like to keep the harness quite short, and that can sometimes make vertical framing slightly awkward. It's only with the double harness where the camera/lens does slide up and across quite so far, so I fit the A-S clamp on different ends of the plate on right and left hand sides - it just gives that extra inch or two more wiggle room.

Last edited:
Back