Advice needed on which head, please?....

Not fully understanding what you mean there RR. With the Luma Membrane the idea is to have a separate one (and plate) for every lens/camera.

....Ah! I misinterpreted Luma's video as it showed it attached to a camera body only and I hadn't appreciated that it could be attached under a pod's head plate and a lens collar foot < Have I got that right?

Yes, I keep a separate plate permanently living on the lens collar foot of every lens I use. I know that membrane material is strong as I used to own a Zodiac inflatable speedboat when I was younger (those were the days, swanning around on the Italian lakes and the Mediterranean).

One advantage of the small Arca-Swiss clamp method (eg like this - random google link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2216...3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108 ) is you can slide it along the plate to adjust balance. I also find that feature useful with a double Black Rapid strap - I like to keep the harness quite short, and that can sometimes make vertical framing slightly awkward. It's only with the double harness where the camera/lens hangs slightly more to the side, so I fit the A-S clamp on different ends of the plate on right and left hand sides - it just gives that extra inch or two more wiggle room.

....And presumably the longer the plate, the more wiggle. Thanks! I now have visions of pretty French girls wiggling!

Thanks for the vid (y)

Another thing about those double-strap Black Rapids, with a long heavy lens, attach the camera to one side and the lens to the other. The camera/lens then hangs across your stomach, very comfortably with the weight spread evenly over both shoulders, and you can still use it no problem.

Those plates look neat (y) but only available in one length. Much cheaper clones also available on e bay. Another attachment method I like is the Luma Membrane http://luma-labs.com/products/m-connect
Yeah, those plates are pretty "fixed," but for use on camera body or lens foot for monopod I think they would work well.

Robin, if you get an Arca plate of extra length, or use a "permanent" mount like the membrane, then the strap/mount can stay in place when the lens is mounted to the monopod. If the strap is adjusted to the right length you can use it to apply tension between you and the monopod for additional stability. (Kind of like how a rifle shooter will wrap the strap around the forearm, or the string brace/tripod idea)

I don't like the idea of metal end on things like that membrane mount flapping around when not in use; particularly against the camera body. Heck, I've removed the split rings from the strap mounts on my cameras after cracking an upper LCD cover w/ one.
Instead I've just sewn nylon webbing into a loop on plates/lens feet/tripod collars which a strap can clip to (using heavy nylon thread and bar stitching). Or if you use Optech sling/loop straps you can just get additional Uni-Loop connectors for cheap and "permanently" attach those. If you get the extra long ones they can even be attached to the open section of any Arca plate.

If it's rigid support you're wanting, most of the flex in a tripod is in the joints rather than in the tubing itself. So choose three leg sections rather than four, extend the fattest sections first, and leave a couple of inches of leg inside the upper section. That can make a big difference and the only exception is Gitzo - they have exceptionally good leg joints. Only extend the centre-column when actually needed.

I must have tested about 30 tripods in the last couple of years (for work) and in terms of support, I can't say there's any significant performance difference between carbon-fibre and aluminium. CF is about one third lighter overall, but costs twice as much. CF is warmer to the touch, but the only parts of a tripod I actually touch are the foam-covered leg area, and the joints. Almost every tripod has at least one leg foam covered, the notable exception being Gitzo where that's an optional extra. Twist-locks are self-adjusting for wear and more robust over many years of use; lever-locks are faster and easier, but more prone to catch on things like undergrowth - personal choice.

Agree entirely Richard. Mine is the 3 legged version. The gitzo joint design is a neat effort although i did strip mine down when i first had it as it was a bit dry. I guess its down to what youre prepared to spend to get what you consider the best. For me I think that gitzo is right up there and ive looked at a more than a few tripods since i bought it, although not as many as you.

I'm new to Gitzo but although I haven't used the GM2541 carbon monopod outside yet which I bought from TP Classifieds yesterday, I am extremely impressed with its lack of flex and particularly the G-Locks - I can grip all 3 simultaneously with one hand and twist to unlock and then twist with one hand to lock when collapsed.

Arca-Swiss P0 is currently favourite as a head on it but I need to save some pennies. At least I have ringfenced some money for the 100-400mm lens.

I'm now a Gitzo fanboy :)

Thought of you when i saw THIS @RedRobin :D

....LOL :D

At first I thought it was a crutch, then I thought it would look like a weird penis extension!

I think we both know that it's not going to improve camera steadiness because your upper body will move more than a monopod support from camera/lens directly to the ground does. My new Gitzo feels really solid but I haven't shot with it yet - The light is still crap so far this week.

For me, carrying a monopod is just a valuable option.

RR_Swineham_0519.jpg

^ Carrying my Manfrotto monopod - Now for sale on TP Classifieds: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/manfrotto-monopod-mvm500a-with-fluid-head-foot.576793/

I stumbled across this most useful thread and suspect I'm not alone in appreciated all the experienced advice and links. Over 2 years along, I can add a few pieces of hard won lessons:

1. Secure lens and camera with a secure head

2. Ensure any Head/Gimbal etc has an integral anti-slip mechanism so even if the rig comes loose on the plate or lens foot, it cannot plummet

3. Call me paranoid, but I also use a lanyard with a snaplink krab. This secures the carry strap on the lens to the actual monopod or tripod. Obviously if the entire assembly topples the lens with camera crunches into the substrate or vanishes underwater!

4. After wasting money on ballheads, I now prefer video style heads on a tripod or monopod - for birds and other wildlife and landscapes

I have standardized on Sirui heads and legs. They cost far less than RRS, and are basically clones with added features that are nearly all improvements.

I use the L10 on a big monopod (Sirui P-324SR Carbon Fiber) but plan to switch this to a lighter and more compact P326S. And I will invest in the L20S and move it to the heavier P324 which has the flip-out legs - I have used the latter since late last year and find its tripod-like features useful for more stationary shooting. Especially for birds. On the waterproof W-2204 tripod I use the VH-10 head with dedicated plates (on my telephotos). I pulled off the arca-swill clamp plate on the L10 and locked on the VH-90 video clamping plate (using epoxy as it's permanent!). It has the broader foot at 50mm wide, and I really like the adjustable plate locking design. It's hybrid in that one can adjust the locking tension. Pull out the spring-loaded lever and adjust its position on the bolthead (tightening the plate on the LH125 foot). I mainly shoot telephotos on these 3 or 1 leg supports, but have arca-swiss plates to lock a camera on to the arca-swiss clamp on a video-head plate. Beleive me it is simpler than it sounds in description....

Ai BIG plus in selecting Sirui is spring-loaded safety mechanism in the floor of all their locking clamps (std arca-swiss and wider video styles)

Back