Advice on potential new camera

Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I might well have to get a new camera. I am a beginner really (have had a 350d for 2-3 years snapping around the home) and wanted something to suit where I am at present as well as to grow into.

An "all rounder" in terms of camera and lens is my aim and I had been looking at the 500d and 450d kits. I have read alot of reviews and decided that the video bit on the 500d was not the be all and end all and I would be happy enough cope with the lower res. screen on the 450d.

Just today though I noted that a couple of retailers (one being warehouse express) appeared to offering a deal on the 40d - £550 body only. I have only had a few moments to start chasing details on the 40d but initially it seems that this is more of a camera than say the 450d. I wondered what your thoughts were.
Cheers

Anthony

Sounds like your ready to step up to an XXD body. The increased handling and responsiveness is really nice, so try them out at the same time (y)

Moving from a 350D to a 30D/40D will change you.

You won't want to go back to a XXXD body no matter the specs, they are a different animal.

Go hold a 30/40D in a shop to see what I mean.

I reluctantly changed from a 350D to a 40D as I wanted easier control of the functions and in spite of the increase in body size (a disadvantage) have found it great. The increased LCD size has made a world of difference but if you don't want the extra controls then a 450 may well fill the bill.

Much appreciated feedback. I am still doing a little reading on the subject. I like the frame rate, the view finder etc etc

Am I right in thinking it has only been out for two years and now it looks like it is being discontinued?!

Anthony

Am I right in thinking it has only been out for two years and now it looks like it is being discontinued?!

I'm not sure how long it's been out for (not hugely long), but yes it has just been discontinued. And the presence of a newer model means some good deals are to be had! I'm looking at getting one in the future (not anytime soon though, funds are stretched thinly enough as it is :D ), but it's a great camera and I find it much more comfy in the hand compared to my smaller 450D!

Back