Advice please

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
As you know I'm fairly new to all this, I only have the free editing "stuff" from Picasa.

Here is a picture I took earlier & what I did to it on Picasa,

Am I heading in the right direction ????

DSC_00383.jpg

DSC_0038-1.jpg

Your thoughts please,

Nice and clear image and the horizon is straight, but lacks a little punch. It might also have benefited from better composition. Perhaps apply the rule of thirds and / or getter closer to the boat and use a wider angle. Have you tried GIMP... it gives you more PP options and is free also. http://www.gimp.org/

you on the way there one thing is to try not to have the horizon cut the photo in two move it down a bit in this shot and have a little more sky and may be a little more of the bottom.
The sky looks washed out a bit brigh some sat and contrast back in it

Chaz, with the greatest of respects, that's ruined the shot.

This is what I'd do to it...
4152378369_140b90df75_o.jpg

Last edited:
Each to there own, but to me it looks flat and 5cups in my cabinet tell me I must be doing something right

It wasn't a personal attack on your manhood, Chaz. If you think blowing out that puddle, turning the town to mush and making the sand orange is a winner then fine.

I would re calibrate it Chaz, it looks awful on mine.

Stew

Each to there own, but to me it looks flat and 5cups in my cabinet tell me I must be doing something right

Chaz, anyone can win meaningless trophies from a photography club competition, lets not get too excited.

23rd is right, your edit has completely ruined the shot. Maybe this calibrated monitor you keep banging on about is calibrated completely incorrectly since everybody else seems to see your edits in a completely different light to you. :thinking:

Back to the OP, although most of the time you want to observe the rule of thirds, there are times that symmetry works, and I think this is one of those times. The sky is not interesting enough to warrant it dominating the shot and you have no real foreground interest close up (the boat is your foreground) so shifting the bias towards the land will also not work. I'd crop a little off the bottom and then try and boost the contrast a little like 23rd has done.

Or maybe not, if everyone else sees it the same...

You all miss one point I said this is what you Might do to it
It was to show what is possible i.e. give it more mood and not look so flat
Also how can anyone make much out of a screen grab you need the full size image to do any real work on it.
Oh my screen is spot on that you very much.

Chaz, with the greatest of respects, that's ruined the shot.

This is what I'd do to it...
4152378369_140b90df75_o.jpg

That's nicely on on thirds and works better for me... going back and getting the boat more prominent might work even better for the OP.

Not directed at anybody particularly - I wish people did not snipe so much on this forum...

That's nicely on on thirds and works better for me... going back and getting the boat more prominent might work even better for the OP.

Not directed at anybody particularly - I wish people did not snipe so much on this forum...

Thanks.

Re sniping: I was just thinking the same. Especially on a new members thread!

Alan, we all love each other really. We just get a bit passionate at times. :)

Thanks everyone,

all advice taken in,

didn't want people falling out though.

I would re calibrate it Chaz, it looks awful on mine.

Stew

Hate to do it Chaz, but gotta agree with the guys. That does look a bit over the top. Looks like your monitor might need recalibrating. Everybody else can't be wrong at once.

My take:

Thanx

Back