Advice wanted - Boxing shoot (not match)

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Has anyone done a session wiht a boxer in a gym... need to find some inspiration. I have a female boxer who wants some shots done in the gym for her portfolio and I ahve no idea what to do .. type of shots... I can probably wing how ... anyone done anything like this?

I'd check out some of Tomas Whitehouse's sport shoots for inspiration...I remember specifically a netball portrait and ice skating too :)

Edit - Here is one of them :)

Last edited:
Black and white moody shots of various training ; skipping, crunches and punchball shots.

mcmillan.jpg

Some serious portraits perhaps with the boxing gloves drapped round the shoulders and some wearing them and then angled body ready for an upper cut or something similar, some sparring ring shots.

Could also do shots with just the bandages punching a bag or swivel ball

Actually I put boxer as it seemed more simple and people might be confused or not aware had I put anything else... The young lady is a MMA fighter and her next fight is in Thailand.. her sponsors want some proper pics..

So its a gym and a mate to have a spar with.. the sparing wont give me so much.. Setups with equipment will be the ones i think..

I really want to do some moody ones with black background... dont know how to get that lighting effect but know others have done it.

The pics in your link are great but not a photo shoot.. mostly matches... good stuff though .. still looking through thanks :)

to keep background dark as pos, use a flash, preferably off camera to get some nice modeling light, and remember that aperture controls flash, so smaller the hole, the less background you will pick up. As for actual shots... the link posted above shows some useful standard portraits, but also try for more effects, maybe a fist hitting a punchbag in focus with her more oof, or her holding the punchbag close and peering out from behind it? Lifting weights, anything in fact that increases the moody, tough girl fighter image... :shrug:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24848360@N02/sets/72157615793906359/

Last edited:
Thats a good link as well Yv .. I ahve some ideas... thinking of doing some moody ones not using flash.. just the lighting thats there.. will be OK with a mkIII as the iso is great... yes i thought thats how with the flash.. thanks i wasnt fully sure... I presume a big gym and if i can get background as far away as possible.. dim the lights but not off and then use 70-200 with flash... should isolate her hopefully :)

I will have plenty of time as we are being given the gym to ourselves... basically a lock up when you leave deal :)

found this link... i am guessing all hdr? http://www.fighterportraits.com/

The problem with using the available light is that the light on the fighter will be around the same value as the background so you'd have to darken it in PP. By using flash you can seperately control the lighting ratio with more ease.

Yes:) I meant as well as.. I dont want all shots wiht light seperated :)

Back