air show in portrush northern ireland

Name
nigel
Edit My Images
No
hiya all, this would be my first go at photographin planes, and i need some advice....
what lens
what camera speed
what F/ number
i only have 18-55 kit len and a sigma 70-300
oh im shootin on a nikon d40
thanks very much for the help...

not a real expert , but i have done a few airshows, and was shooting down at the loop earlier in the week
the 70-300 is what you will need .most of the fast jets will need fast shutter speeds, say around 500th sec or there abouts , to freeze the action
if it is bright and sunny you could try f8, a lot of lenses are sharpest around f8. but i wouldnt wory too much , better to have the shutter speed to freeze action.
might be an idea to shoot in shutter priority to keep the speed up.
if you are shooting prop planes i beleive around 1 1/60 is good to show motion blur in the propellers,
hope this of help. better still enjoy the show.
sometimes you spend all day shooting and dont really see whats going on. sometimes better to enjoy the displays and keep the camera in the bag

speaking only as an amateur at airshow photos i would say the following...

lens depends on how far away the aircraft are but normally you would need the 70 - 300, it will depend on the aircraft as to what shutter speed you need ie fast jets the higher the better depending on lighting conditions. For prop aircraft like a spitfire you want it alot lower i average around 1/160 but sometimes lower again depending on light.

i usually use shutter priority mode so the aperture settings change depending on the shutter speed, other than that i have experimented with some success about ever so slightly over exposing the shot to gain a little more detail on the darker planes...

might not cover everything and there will be others to give you more detail but that works for me search my username to give a rough idea of how they turn out done like that incase that helps

Back