Air to air I forgot to post!

Name
Harry
Edit My Images
Yes
Here's my first air to air that I did back in August. I didn't post originally as I wasn't very happy with them. I've had a quick run through them again today and decided they're not as bad as I remember! Sadly the light was not there for most of it and for some reason I had bought a 200mm prime which meant my comp was either rather loose or very tight. Hey ho, here are some of the photos. Advice very welcome :)

Chippie Air to Air by Harry Measures, on Flickr

Sunlight :D

What's not to like.
Gorgeous and great prop blur too!

One day I must blag an A 2 A myself........( anyone? ) lol
Cheers
Dave

Not bad at all! The light seemed a lot better 20 miles away or so, but you got some great prop blur.

Next time have a think about some dynamic formation positions. I find the majority of work in air to air shoots occurs on the ground!

What's not to like.
Gorgeous and great prop blur too!

One day I must blag an A 2 A myself........( anyone? ) lol
Cheers
Dave

Thanks you. I could probably suggest heading to your local flying club. If you show your portfolio you may tempt a few owners to do a bit of formation work... Perhaps offer to cover some of the cost. For 2 aircraft like that (I was shooting from a 172) and about 30 mins airtime the cost will be around £100.

Not bad at all! The light seemed a lot better 20 miles away or so, but you got some great prop blur.

Next time have a think about some dynamic formation positions. I find the majority of work in air to air shoots occurs on the ground!

Thanks. We did actually do more than just echelon formation however due to my idea of 1/50 being the ideal shutter speed (don't burst out laughing) most of them got binned.

Next time I we're looking to do a tight turn or 2 to get the aircraft profile better presented - Plus it will help with a speed issue (It's not a chippie haha).

Harry.

How do you brief the air to air shoots? Are the crews you work with keen for detail or are they happy to wing it? I've got quite a tested briefing process but an interested in how others do it.

How do you brief the air to air shoots? Are the crews you work with keen for detail or are they happy to wing it? I've got quite a tested briefing process but an interested in how others do it.

To be fair, that's my first and last to date. It was done with 2 close friends, too. As for briefing we just did a basic brief outlining the route really. We briefed a landing shoot whereby we went around on the hard and the chippie landed on the grass but we were too far away for effective photos. Aside from that and echlon on the first leg of the loop, the brief was fairly loose.

The next one I do will be briefed a lot more thoroughly, so any advice or tips most welcome :)

I don't think you've done badly at all, #3 is a text-book air/air shot. With some direct sun-light to make it pop, that would have been bang on the money.

Back