Aircraft over the marina..

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
If you've seen my other posts in Landscape you'll know we had a holiday in Skiathos. One reason we went was so I could see these planes coming in over the marina. I've addd the last photo to let you see why some people get injured. Why didn't he wonder why everyone else had moved ?..Lol.

Infact I saw some people blown over as the jet engines were fired up, especially the Boeing 757's. As we left and were about 50 metre metres down the road I turned back to see a 757 about to take off and a Brit who had hired a quad bike stopped to chat to other Brits who had retreated 15 metres and a bit to the side by the water's edge having been blasted on the previous take-off. The blast cartwheeled the quad bike into the water along with a bottle of sun cream, two beer bottles and flip flops owned by the family the quad bike driver stopped to talk to.They hauled the quad bike out and then Dad went in to retrieve these other items to the great amusement of the group. It was all a great laugh for them. Fortunately, it's shallow at the edge but just across the way there's a large ship anchored. The week before a car was driven past,(it's a T junction there with the T being the perimeter fencing...I assume the driver either didn't see the plane or thought he'd 'make it' past. He didn't make it past and the blast put the car into the sea.The same happens at St. Martin in the Caribbean. I felt sorry for for one elderly gent who had a walking stick..he at least thought he was safe at 30-odd metres away down the road but he was in direct line of the jet engines..he was blown over and there were three pools of blood left on the roadway. There's a taverna on the road next to the sea about 75 metres from the T junction back towards town where everyone walks back to and I was told you can even feel the blast,albeit greatly weakened at that location,intact there's a red traffic light there to stop traffic when a plane is about to take off,whether it works or not i don;'t know but there isn't one either side of the T junction.The airport can take only three planes at one time.

The quad bike I mentioned was blown into the water where you see the two people standing.

kd92sg.jpg

24azzn8.jpg

b5mexs.jpg

70l1rk.jpg

1zm2nw4.jpg

2qv4mzp.jpg

qo84ns.jpg

35k60kw.jpg

Had a holiday there's a few years ago and loved it. Used to sit on that beach and wait for the jet wash from those engines.
Nice set.

Thanks Both.

Jake..Here's a video taken at St. Maarten. The girl was fortunate not to suffer serious injury. I think holding onto the fence is a challenge some can't just resist but they underestimate the power of the jet wash and some just don't 'get it' and think it will be a 'bit blowy'..lol.

Have great trip, look forward to seeing your photos. If I were you I'd stand well to the side and get some shots of the onlookers too, I'm sure you had that in mind. I thought it was spelt with double 'a' and an 'e' Maarten as you've written, I googled it to be certain and it came up with Martin on several results. Strange.

Last edited:
Late in the day is the best for S.M. As the heavies come in around 4-5pm.
Namely A340's and 747's

On the surf board by the cafe at the end of the beach is a list of arrivals and departures ( heavy not light island hopping stuff) and aircraft type/times, and it's worth taking note of it.

Remember that St Maartins is special in that the traffic isn't stopped and you can get your skin sand burnt and equipment / lenses ruined by standing behind a 757 or larger as it runs up its engines as they need maximum thrust to get up and bank to the right to miss the mountains ahead on take off.

Great pictures to be had from side on, and there are a few under 'civil airliners' on my website www.davejonesphotography/zenfolio if your interested?

A few nice interesting ones from underneath too but you need a quick shutter for those.

Enjoy the sun!
Cheers
Dave

Back