Airliners - For a change!

Name
Bernie
Edit My Images
Yes
A couple of hours at Heathrow today, and it was cold!

But on the plus side, some interesting planes.

16246089142_975334be17_b.jpg

16059386468_e5040365e7_b.jpg

3. First Airbus A350
16221018136_7ef50e4d4f_b.jpg

16246927985_a53c6dcc90_b.jpg

Enjoy
Bernie

Do all Jumbos cock their outside right U/C like that or is it just coincidence that the 3 you've shown in this thread are doing it?

Nowt to do with the photography (which is exemplary!) but I do think the good old 747 still looks a far more majestic aircraft than the A380. Lovely shots (and great to see the new A350 too!) Cheers G.

Reactions: ST4
So it is! Hadn't noticed that since the front pair is lost against the wing.

Do all Jumbos cock their outside right U/C like that or is it just coincidence that the 3 you've shown in this thread are doing it?

Yep, it's a tilt mechanism on the truck, if they were rigid the stresses would be immense on landing so they pivot centrally,
Also the main gear trucks must be tilted and centered to allow retraction into the wheel wells

A combination of main gear tilt sensors indicate the gear are tilted (air mode) or not tilted (ground mode) to send an air/ground signal to relays controlling various system functions

Last edited:
Reactions: Nod
You just reminded me I'm long overdue a LHR trip! Nice shots, I think you always get a cleaner, more powerful looking shot by not cropping through significant parts of the aircraft like the landing gear, doors, and especially the engines. I even crop between windows on aviation shots to get the composition as clean as possible. Leaving engine No.4 in the shot in the first BA 747 and either including or excluding engine No.2 and cropping behind the door on the EK A380 would probably give stronger and cleaner compositions.

Nice set though. :)

Yes, very.
The location is to the SW of Hattan Cross at Heathrow. There's a park by the A30. Anywhere in there will get you decent photos.

Hi and great shots, very impressive sharpness :)

I must go myself as I'm not far - could I ask, is the park you went to the one in the centre of this map? Thanks

View attachment 28941

Greg

Yep, thats the one.
Parking can be tight though, so if you can, leave your car elsewhere. If not, sometimes you can park in Mretle Ave. The Football club used to be good for parking, but I understand they are now a bit anti. Then again, I don't often believe the plane spotters!

Yep, it's a tilt mechanism on the truck, if they were rigid the stresses would be immense on landing so they pivot centrally,
Also the main gear trucks must be tilted and centered to allow retraction into the wheel wells

A combination of main gear tilt sensors indicate the gear are tilted (air mode) or not tilted (ground mode) to send an air/ground signal to relays controlling various system functions

Cheers for the extra info, R1. Don't often see Jumbos taking off or landing at the airports we usually use (EXT, BRS and HER) and at at least one of them photography is NOT encouraged! Much as we love Crete, I'm told the gaols are less cushy than the ones here.

Cheers for the extra info, R1. Don't often see Jumbos taking off or landing at the airports we usually use (EXT, BRS and HER) and at at least one of them photography is NOT encouraged! Much as we love Crete, I'm told the gaols are less cushy than the ones here.

There's a viewing platform in T2 in Chep Lap Kok, (HKG) which gives commanding views of all aircraft taking off and landing, pending which RWY is in use.
You need at least a 300+mm lens to get the best from the landing shots though as by this point the TDZ is about 3000' from the spectator point.
It's located in the middle of RWY 25L/R and parallel to the threshold so the aircraft are viewed side on at not much higher than you are :)

Manchester is probably the best place for Civil aircraft in the UK. The banks to the South of the Runways are good for line ups, and take offs, and the pub car park at the NE end is good for landings!

Civil aircraft coming in to land look so serene in pictures but when you are actually on them they can be bouncing about all over :)

If I'm bored at the weekend and the weather is good then it's just a bus ride.

Is the location good for easterly take-offs too?

Back