Alfa Romeo classic

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I was in Chiddingstone the other day and this was parked outside the pub. Not sure what it is aside from being an Alfa Romeo but looked gorgeous just sitting there so had to grab a few shots of it and have a play about with them.

4922931602_91ab4eee1c_o.jpg

4922322297_fd0769afb1_o.jpg

Its not a real Alfa. That style of car was 1930's and early 1940's by the mid 1960's (E-reg) the cars were much more modern. Has 1990's style wheels as well.

If it were real, it would be a multi-million pound car.

Its true I did not spend much time with the blurring. Just circled the car and used lens blur with a 100pixel feather. I can amend that though. Thanks :)

The fake lens blur completely ruins the shot for me.

If you want to make the car stand out more then selective colouring would be better.

I wouldn't spend much time on these though as they are purely snap shots.

If you want to make the car stand out more then selective colouring would be better.

That is true, I didn't happen to have a studio handy at the time or a tripod, just me and my camera in a street on a dull day lol

Thanks for your input.

Despite the badges this is a Marlin, by the look of the symbol bottom centre it's V8 powered - prob a Rover 3.5.

andrewc - the E prefix ran Aug 87 - Jul 88 rather than the 60s as you imply.

Such a shame it wasn't a real Alfa ;)

The building its parked next to, and the one behind it look quite old so I'd have been tempted to take a more side on 3/4ish shot to loose the modern cars in the background. Though of course that would make its modern alloys look a bit more glaring!

Despite the badges this is a Marlin, by the look of the symbol bottom centre it's V8 powered - prob a Rover 3.5.

andrewc - the E prefix ran Aug 87 - Jul 88 rather than the 60s as you imply.

That V8 badge looks suspiciously like a Ford one.....

Images are OK, but the car is an insult to the marque, and the badge should be removed.

It would have been better if it had an Alfa V6 rather than a Rover V8.

Love the first image, and I like your processing (and it's more than just a 'snapshot' ;) )

Angle, DOF all come up trumps.

Second doesn't really work as well, mainly because the car in the BG intrudes into the frame.

Love the first image, and I like your processing (and it's more than just a 'snapshot' ;) )

I agree with that statement
The dof you already know about and the only other thing is the post by the wheels could be removed but thats up to you
Snapshot indeed

I really quite like the first shot too and would be interested to see it without any blurring of the buildings. Or perhaps a B&W conversion.

Last edited:
Nice pictures of quite an unusual replica.
I remember years ago, someone made a replica of a pre war Alfa, and joined two four cylinder engines, to make a straight eight. The car itself had "correct" wheels and tyres, so looked the part.
They could at least have used an Alfa four pot in this replica rather than a Rover V8.

That my friend is a KIT CAR !!! Alfa will be shortly leaving you with a horses head for taht comment lol I think it is a MArlin judging by the E pplate but also it propbably has the Alfa badges due to alfa powerplant if the owner has that under the hood.

the shots are nice btw considering street side ones

I found out who was selling this.. A month or so ago it was in an advert in Classic Cars Magazine, it has a Rover V8 and parts from Marlin with a 5 speed box and disks all round. It is a replica of the 1932 1750c.. Not a bad buy for under 15K.

Nice to look at and nicely taken pics..

Have you always had the gift of charm? ;)

Have you always had the gift of charm? ;)

This section is for critque of photos and thats what I've done. No need for charm to be used.

Harsh c&c is more useful than 'nice shot'. Especially when the shots aren't that great.

I was going to add some full comments If the op wanted them but his sarcastic response about a studio meant It would of been a waste of my time.

Last edited:
That is true, I didn't happen to have a studio handy at the time or a tripod, just me and my camera in a street on a dull day lol

Thanks for your input.
That's one of the worst excuses I think I've heard for a set of photo's.

WORK WITH YOUR SURROUNDINGS.

I'll crit the photo's properly below for you.

4922931602_91ab4eee1c_o.jpg

Negatives first:

Fake blue is terrible and poorly done.
Colours are dull and not popping like in the 2nd shot.
Background is very distracting.
Photo needs to be straightened.

What you could of done differently.
Well to the right of the shot there is a lovely old building which would of tied in very nicely with the style of this car so a side profile shot sticking with the rule of thirds would of kept the focus on the car and therefore no need to add blur to the image. This shot could of been taken from a low vantage point (inline with the top bottom of the windscreen for instance).

4922322297_fd0769afb1_o.jpg

Bad points:
The photo is off centre. For this shot to work you need to be bang on central to the car, so step a foot to the right would of worked wonders.
The background again is a bit distracting but without being a few feet taller your stuck. The other option would of been a low down shot so that the cars in the background were hidden by the one your shooting.
The photo is a bit tightly cropped at the top and the bottom of the frame and would of worked better in portrait rather than landscape.

Good points:
colour is popping much nicer in this one.

Other things you could of done with that car would be detail shots with a nice shallow DOF. there's loads of possible detail shots in that car that I can see would make some nice shots.

All that advice and without the need for a studio or a tripod, isn't that just magical? No it's thinking about the shot before clicking away. I don't have a studio and do just fine and I only use a tripod when it's needed so maybe less of the sarcastic remarks in future just because someone give you some feedback and you don't like it.

I'm sorry if you are deeply offended or upset by the response I've give you on these but I'm sure you would appreciate help in improving your photography skills into something more worthwhile. If not then you should be posting in this section:

Photos for Pleasure
This is a forum for sharing those photos for which you require no critique at all. Photos you have taken just for fun, or silly snapshots. Please do not offer any critique in this forum.

Darren (y)

Back