Alternative to 14-24 on D700?

Edit My Images
Yes
Is there an alternative lens to the 14-24 that is suited to the D700?

not in the same league, but the Sigma 12-24 is good if you manage to get a good copy. It has a bit of a reputation for de centred elements so you may have to check a few

Hugh

Nikon 17-35 F2.8 - better suited to me, so I sold my 14-24 for it.

Difficult to get hold of though, as they dont come up for sale very often.

not in the same league, but the Sigma 12-24 is good if you manage to get a good copy. It has a bit of a reputation for de centred elements so you may have to check a few

Hugh

So the sigma works ok on full frame?

Can you elaborate on why you didn't get on with the 14-24? Too wide? Any idea on price of 17-35?

My problem with it was two fold:

Dimensions (including the huge bulge at the front) were just too large for me.

Can't use filters with it. Due to the shape, there is no way that i found to attach filters to the front of it.

Cheers guys. I have a 10-20 so know all about ultra wide.

Just realized that both the 12-24 and 14-24 can't be used in conjunction with screw on filters, that really frustrates me!

the 12-24 has a gel filter holder built into the mount - not quite a screw in but better than nothing. The lack of any filter support is the Nikkor's big weakness IMHO of course

Hugh

I like to use my 10 stop ND filter quite a lot with my 10-20. Would I be able to use a gel with similar results. I have no experience of gels.

Yes, you could use a 10 stop ND gel behind the Sigma 12-24 but it could be a bit awkward! You would need to frame and focus the shot then remove the lens to fit the filter so a VERY sturdy tripod and head would be needed.

The 12-24 works very well on the D700 (and 35mm film) and is a lot cheaper than the 14-24 Nikon. The extra 2mm of width makes a difference when you're that wide too.

There's always the Tamron 17-35mm (f/2.8 - f/4) forconsideration. Excellent performance for the money.

is the sigma 12-24 an aspherical/square format lens, or does it go severaly fishy @ 12mm?
Was thinking about buying the tokina 12-24 for a cropped sensor cam, but, would really fancy a 12mm for the film cam, thats square, not a fish. So I could use it on both :p

Same for me. I shoot mainly landscape / seascapes and sold my 14-24 for a 17-35.

The 14-24 was fantastic but just didn't suit my type of photography.

Chris :)

..... Any idea on price of 17-35?

I bought mine last month, for 850GBP (used). The price range on eBay is generally from 750-950GBP, depending on condition and what's included with it.

I've no experience with the 14-24mm myself, but it would seem to be the optimum lens for indoor super-wide angle, or anything where edge to edge sharpness is required and filters are not :|.

So would a 17-35 be cheaper then the 14-24 if I could find one?

Over here (in Europe), I'd say "Yes", it would be a little cheaper (10-15%).

Not sure about prices on the other side of the world though :shrug:. But there will be so little in it that price shouldn't really need to play a big your in your decision ;).

Good luck (y)!

is the sigma 12-24 an aspherical/square format lens, or does it go severaly fishy @ 12mm?

no it stays pretty linear - although there is some distortion around the frame edges as you'd expect at 12mm - not fishy though

Oh yes. Edit to add - actually I've just looked at CPB and I'm wrong about that. There isn't much in it atleast in the UK

Hugh

Another vote for the Tamron 17-35 on the D700. Very pleased with mine. Got lots of examples if you'd like.

Yes please post some examples. Bit of a long shot but have you had experience of an ultrawide lens on a crop body to compare?

No worries, give me a few mins to dig them out. In answer to your 2nd question, yeah I came from a D300 with the Sigma 10-20. The Tamron was chosen because it was very close the the resultant focal lengths of the 10-20 on cropped.

Just realized that both the 12-24 and 14-24 can't be used in conjunction with screw on filters, that really frustrates me!

That really depends whether you will be willing to go a small extra mile for that 14-24 quality. What I mean is that there are quite a few solutions of how to use filters on 14-24. Some using the lens hood. Try googling them up.

The quote from one of the solutions:
he standard Lee filter holder without an adapter ring fitted is a lovely tight fit to just squeeze onto the permanent hood of the 14-24 lens. The hood is hard plastic but with enough give/spring in it to hold the filter holder nice and tight.

This is an example of that solution.

This is a slightly different approach.

Thank Kalibre. Do you have any conventional landscape type shots at 17mm?

Is the 17-35 tamron still available new?

Thank Kalibre. Do you have any conventional landscape type shots at 17mm?

Is the 17-35 tamron still available new?

I haven't I'm afraid, it's a newish body/lens combination for me so many of its outings have been urban. The closest I've got is a city skyline of NYC.

No one use the Nikon 18-35mm? That gets a great review on Ken Rockwell's site. I've thought about going for one.
I'd like the 14-24 but am put off by the price, size, weight, can't use a filter..... Pity they don't make a 14-24 F4 and a lower cost. I have been using the 12-24 full frame on my D700. You can set it in the menu so it does not crop to DX and if you don't use the 12-18mm bit, it works fine. A bit soft in the edges, but very acceptable for most cases.

No one use the Nikon 18-35mm? That gets a great review on Ken Rockwell's site. I've thought about going for one.
I'd like the 14-24 but am put off by the price, size, weight, can't use a filter..... Pity they don't make a 14-24 F4 and a lower cost. I have been using the 12-24 full frame on my D700. You can set it in the menu so it does not crop to DX and if you don't use the 12-18mm bit, it works fine. A bit soft in the edges, but very acceptable for most cases.

I started off with the 18-35mm on my D700, before upgrading to the 17-35mm f/2.8, which I mentioned earlier on. Why? Two reasons really;

First of all, the 18-35mm has a really annoying distortion signature, which becomes apparent when you get a lot of straight lines near the margins, at various focal lenghts. This mattered to me, as I found myself photographing a lot of buildings and straight edged structres. Here's an example of a wonky bridge, courtesy of the 18-35 (y) ...

WonkyBridge18mm.jpg

The other reason for wanting the 17-35mm was for the f/2.8 aperture - I got tired of the camera hunting for focus in the dark with the 18-35mm :|.

Of course, the 18-35 is a hell of a lot cheaper :D!

Thanks for that Naboo. It does look a bit weird the way the straight edge flicks up at the corners. If it was a conventional distortion you could get rid of it, but that look impossible.
I'll put a thread up about the Sigma 12-24mm to see if anyone can help.
Thanks again.

Thanks for that Naboo. It does look a bit weird the way the straight edge flicks up at the corners. If it was a conventional distortion you could get rid of it, but that look impossible.
I'll put a thread up about the Sigma 12-24mm to see if anyone can help.
Thanks again.

That's exactly the problem. I trialled some software, which is supposed to correct this complex distortion. It did straighten out the edges, but it really stretched the image in the corners :(. If it was a cityscape, with people in the corners (not that unusual), it really stretched them into weird triangular shapes :razz:.

As I think Ken Rockwell said in his review, this lens is fine if you don't shoot straight lines at 18mm - the problem is, I do ;)!

The Sigma has had some very good reviews, but I don't think it's in the same league as either of the top Nikkor lenses :|. I suppose it depends how wide you really need to go :shrug:!? 12mm on an FX sensor is obviously going to make certain elements in some shots look very small indeed. Still, you know what you'll be doing with it, I don't.

Good luck in your search (y)!

Thanks for posting that pic Naboo. It's an odd distortion, the way it seems to flick up at the edges. If it was just a normal distortion it could be easy to get rid of, but that wavy look would be impossible I guess.
Am looking at the Sigma 12-24mm now as an alternative and have posted a thread about it.
Thanks again.

Oooops, sorry to post another reply Naboo. I didn't see my previous reply on here from yesterday as it was on page 2 and I thought there was only a page 1. Well I've not been up long.
Cheers.

Oooops, sorry to post another reply Naboo. I didn't see my previous reply on here from yesterday as it was on page 2 and I thought there was only a page 1. Well I've not been up long.
Cheers.

You should just blame it on the forum ;). There've been all kinds of double posts, outages and generally wierdness lately :D.

Back