Alternatives in Energy

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
Yes
Got to do something 'different' for the Camera Club competition tomorrow. :|

What do you think? Trust me - this IS different for me.... all that processing :LOL:

fawley_energy.jpg

I like it.

Nice idea (y)

Very nice indeed. The colour sails really hit you between the eyes (y)

Barry I like it very much but know that a camera club judge will get you for things not allowing the eyes to rest. The big chimney is on a third which is where you look first then you see the coloured sails then you see the smaller chimneys or the round things then you get lost (oversimplification but you get the jiist).

Expect 16 or 17/20 I would say.

Barry I like it very much but know that a camera club judge will get you for things not allowing the eyes to rest. The big chimney is on a third which is where you look first then you see the coloured sails then you see the smaller chimneys or the round things then you get lost (oversimplification but you get the jiist).

Expect 16 or 17/20 I would say.

Yeah - I know what you mean. I'm torn between 'chocolate box' and "hey, this is Art"! Last outing Marianne and I got 10/10, 10/10, 9.5/10 & 9/10.... before you say anything it IS a good club :LOL:

So, do I go for points or give the judge something to splutter over? :help:

how about a closer crop?

fawley_energy_crop.jpg

Just back from picking up the "guysers". I thought that a crop might help and Kamion's is sympathetic. Not surprised you guys score highly especially if it's your portraits (y)

This picture has great appeal and the fact that it doesn't "conform" may actually work in it's favour. All I can say is that I would be just as split as you. sorry! :shrug:

It's printed now so it won't be a crop - more of a chop! I think I'll stick with what I've got..... thought 'controversial' might good for a change. Thanks for the input and noted comments.

nice that chuckles, good luck!

Let us know how you get on at the club meeting, please!

I will do.... tonight was to hand them in - judging next week!

Did well at the Club auction... :clap:

Phillips VCR £1-00
Genuine Bronica Close Filter £2-00
72mm Circular polarizer £2-00
3x 2CR lithium batteries £1-00
4x videos (modern ones!) £0-50p
Zone metering system book £0-50p
10x bread rolls £1-00

:woot:

Hope not, we've eaten three already! mmmm Well, they were homemade and delicious! :LOL:

Some sites just don't allow hot linking - it looks like this could be one as there is no 'right click' allowed on images.

Some sites just don't allow hot linking - it looks like this could be one as there is no 'right click' allowed on images.

ahh thanks that might explain it

shall I leave the link in or not?

Let us know how you get on at the club meeting, please!

Well, you can't account for judges can you?

"Was the author correct to obviously colour the sails?..... don't know. I'm happy with the composition though".

How was it obvious? I actually left the lower half of the image colour and converted the top half using another layer, to monochrome adding noise and stuff :shrug:

8 1/2 out of 10 points. :( Marianne 2 x 9 for her two images..... :clap: My other image (the Grolsch shot) got 8.....

As for the slides.... I'm fed up taking/processing genuine 'Chrome shots only to be 'outdone' by guys using Photoshop and getting them scanned to trannies.... the quality is dismally flat but they get the marks for doing all the "Arty stuff"... which you can't get done in camera. No consideration is given to the fact it's about ten times harder to get the the shot right..... :bat:

As for the slides.... I'm fed up taking/processing genuine 'Chrome shots only to be 'outdone' by guys using Photoshop and getting them scanned to trannies.... the quality is dismally flat but they get the marks for doing all the "Arty stuff"... which you can't get done in camera. No consideration is given to the fact it's about ten times harder to get the the shot right..... :bat:

Isn't that cheating, just more than a little?

Isn't that cheating, just more than a little?

Those were Marianne's words ..... to the letter! (Not necessarily in that order though.... I've just been reading Inaglo's thread on "Inspiration") .... Ha ha!

:LOL:

"Was the author correct to obviously colour the sails?..... don't know. I'm happy with the composition though".

How was it obvious? I actually left the lower half of the image colour and converted the top half using another layer, to monochrome adding noise and stuff :shrug:

LOL. They couldn't see the green in the shrubbery? :shrug:

Didn't they both do well at club - The images looked great in the flesh and I toled them not to enter again as I only got two 8's. Let's say the Judge had an interesting style and some odd coments. Liked pretty girls and birds!

Well done to you both for showing some of the most creative entries!

My cheating on the flowers taken without a camera got an 8!

I'm not too certain he could see his hands on the end of his arms! He did mention that...... (the green stuff).

Shouldn't complain too loudly - it's not an easy job ..... or is it ? :shrug:

Well we all liked it and don't friends count more than stupid old judges anyway?!

Didn't they both do well at club - The images looked great in the flesh and I toled them not to enter again as I only got two 8's. Let's say the Judge had an interesting style and some odd coments. Liked pretty girls and birds!

Well done to you both for showing some of the most creative entries!

My cheating on the flowers taken without a camera got an 8!

Oops.... forgot we have witnesses..... ;)

Well done to you as well Phil. An interesting set of criteria by which he judges.

As for not entering - I'm really serious about pulling out of the slide stuff. It's like having your hands tied in this confusion of rules.

I've been checking other clubs' rules over this - it seems scanning on to trannies is acceptable in most clubs. Where does that leave transparencies in this digital age? The quality from digital is dire to say the least......

I know I could shot down over this BUT.... it takes a lot of skill to get a REALLY good slide. No mistakes, no editing. A photographer's true worth?

Well we all liked it and don't friends count more than stupid old judges anyway?!

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more.... Well said! ..... And Thanks

I always admire the slides - or did until you made me think about the post processing as I thought that all had been done to the entries was a little cropping with tape and everything had to be right in the camera.
I took my old mate Harold along - a pro of over 50 yrs at the game and he was impressed by your entries - I know if he asks for a print, I have succeeded!

I agree totally with Barry about the unfairness of the slide competitions...it makes a mockery of the skill needed to produce a good slide. I know that I wouldn't feel quite right with myself if I used one of my edited photos to turn into a slide, where's the fun in winning that way anyway? :shrug:

LOL. They couldn't see the green in the shrubbery? :shrug:

Oi ... who's taking green in vain ...:cautious:

:LOL:

Sorry it's a bit late but ... your pic works for me Chuckles ... what do judges know anyway ...:thinking:

They're always biased ... unless you win ...:D

8 1/2 out of 10 points. :(

Well I was on the money for once.

As far as the "created" slides are concerned I remember when I was up against people who "sandwiched" slides and did multiple exposures - they always won high points for creativity. Perhaps this is just the modern version.

On the other hand one of our members just won best B&W in a European Salon comp for a photo of a hand (4,500 enties). Taken with a digital camera but he admits to having "no idea how photoshop works". So I suppose classic composition and good lighting is still the strongest force.

Well done Marianne - you get to keep the camera for another weekend :LOL:

Back