Amateur iPhone shot and edit feedback!

lucybaconxo

Name
Lucy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,
I'm currently doing my media a level and part of it is to make a documentary- mine targeted at the downsides of drug use. Filmed a few clips then started playing around and taking and editing some pictures on my iPhone! What does everyone think of this? Bear in mind I am as amateur as you can get! Any helpful tips at all? You could help improve my grade! (I am not a druggie by the way it's crushed up paracetamol haha!) View attachment 25346

the 1st thing I would say is the word has to be sharp. looks like the camera was focusing on the table nearer to us. The concept is good but the composition doesn't leave much room at the sides yet there is a lot of room top and bottom. and finally the lighting and colour of the powder makes it difficult to actual see whats going on, it maybe because its 04:25am and ive been up twenty something hours but the powder need to be white.

the 1st thing I would say is the word has to be sharp. looks like the camera was focusing on the table nearer to us. The concept is good but the composition doesn't leave much room at the sides yet there is a lot of room top and bottom. and finally the lighting and colour of the powder makes it difficult to actual see whats going on, it maybe because its 04:25am and ive been up twenty something hours but the powder need to be white.
Thank you for the tips! Is this shot any better ? View attachment 25349

Colours a lil better but this time its missing the context of the word and cutting card.

Im more than happy to offer help and also on your 1st slr. Feel free to message me via my fb link below if youd like help as im not on here to much at present

Hi Lucy,

As Phill said, the first is stronger in terms of content and with a little change in camera angle the composition could be worked on so that it's not quite so squashed at the sides - personally I don't mind the negative space top and bottom so much. Given, the subject matter I also don't mind the fact that it's quite dark and gritty.

What are you shooting these on and are you using any editing software? It looks like you're missing the focus (more so in the first one) and the white balance (colour) varies hugely between the two. Not sure whether this is a deliberate choice with a filter added in editing (no.1) or if you could do with making some corrections in PP. A bit more information around what you're using would really help people to give some more accurate pointers :)

Finally, what is it that you're trying to say with the photos?
It's hard to judge without knowing what's in your video or seeing the photos in the context of the whole project but neither of these really convey the downside of drug use to me as standalone shots.

Last edited:
Back