Amateur Motocross

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

for the past few weeks i have been taking photos for a local mx track, its a very basic set up and not very picturesque
so i have had my work cut out, not to mention that only a few of the riders that turn up seem to race so the riding isn't that exciting.

With the above in mind i have just tried to get the best exposure i can in camera for the least amount of editing, preferably none.

The sun was in and out of the clouds all day yesterday and something clicked with where i needed to be positioned to get the best light
and i am quite happy with the results so thought i'd pop a few up here for critique.

2. This little fella flies round, puts a smile on my face every time.:)

Last edited:
Thanks Harry, ill give it a try.

With the light being so changeable yesterday i just went with aperture and let it do its thing.

these are both at 1/800 f2.8 and f5, just gives a bit of movement in the tyres. Obviously dependings on the speed of the bike will reflect how much motion

Last edited:
Cheers, i do have some taken at lower shutter speeds from a week or 2 ago but i preferred the ease (also the reliability and continuity) of slapping it on aperture, ill give 1/800 a try next time i go, but i can assure you that these (at least most) are not of the ability of the riders you are shooting and are very very slow, to the point of frustration at times, nor do i have a nice sandy track kicking up everywhere, when it rains here it turns into a sticky gloop.:(

I like these. I appreciate the frustration of shooting amateur riders. It's only the best riders who can make it look fast and exciting.

Looks like a nice track though, it's rare to have such agreeable scenery trackside in the UK. It's usually a field full of rusty Transits and fattys in donkey jackets.

Thanks Tom, the frustration isn't just with the shooting, i want to get on there myself and show them how its done.:D

I can assure you though it isn't a nice looking track, there are some parts that have pretty surroundings but for the most, it is overridden with weeds and needs a trim, hence why i am happy with the photos, it was a challenge to try to get this place to look good.

Cheers Gaza.

Sorry, yes the backgrounds are clear of the usual clutter like powerlines etc, i slightly misunderstood what tom meant above.

Heres a couple i took midweek, a bike & rider shot with a slight difference to the usual shots you see and one that i have had a play with in editing (usually doesn't go down well here).

DSC_7694 by J.Garton, on Flickr

DSC_7603-Edit by J.Garton, on Flickr

Back