amateur photographer looking for advice

Name
David Hirsch
Edit My Images
Yes
I am an amateur photographer and I want to buy a new camera.
I am considering to buy a Canon 6D or maybe 70D or 700D. I am a bit confused and helpless...
Can someone clarify the advantages of the 70D?
I mostly shoot landscapes - my favorites are the ocean and the dessert.
Thank you
David

For landscapes I would go for the 6D or a s/hand 5D mkii

Apart from the in my opinion nicer photos from a full frame camera. Better selection of wide angle lenses including primes, they become a bit too long on a crop sensor camera

I am not familiar with all the specs of the cameras, but I do know....

Canon name their entry level models xxxD, the enthusiast levels xxD and their more serious/pro models xD

The 6D has a full frame sensor (larger than the others). It will therefore perform better in low light and would have the best quality images of the 3 you've mentioned.

The 70D and 700D have articulated screens - some people like these for shooting at odd angles, low down etc. I don't think the 6D has this.

Another thing to consider is the frames per second - important if you are shooting fast moving subjects - sports/children/wildlife. For landscapes this won't matter, but the 70D will give you the best frames per second if this is important to you.

Focusing - the 70D has more points to choose to focus from - and I think a more advanced auto focus system.

If I was buying purely for landscape , then I would plump for the 6D. I'm not sure it has a built in flash - if that is important to you.

Of the three you list, then providing the budget includes enough for a couple of decent lenses alongside, I'd choose the 6D for landscapes (with the 70D as alternate if it meant affording better lenses). Is there a reason you only list Canon cameras?

You could go for a different option.

The Sony A7x series are full frame and have excellent sensors, 12, 24 or 36mp. It's a new system so native lens options are limited but what lenses are available seem to be good to excellent and more are on the way and in the meantime or indeed instead of native lenses you can use an enormous number of lenses via the appropriate adapter.

There's a new A7x camera coming soon with in body image stabilisation too.

I am an amateur photographer and I want to buy a new camera.
I am considering to buy a Canon 6D or maybe 70D or 700D. I am a bit confused and helpless...
Can someone clarify the advantages of the 70D?
I mostly shoot landscapes - my favorites are the ocean and the dessert.
Thank you
David

For landscapes I would go for the 6D or a s/hand 5D mkii

Hi David

Think I'd tend to agree with Rich, as you shoot landscapes mostly, I'd be looking for a full frame, so either the 6D or s/hand 5D mkII

I would adivse buying full frame also if you haven't already purchased considering your landscape preference.
If your budget can afford this 6D I feel you would benefit greatly over the others you suggest.
Particularly the lack of a cropped sensor will help in the field of having a wider view, meaning money spent on wide angle lenses won't be wasted.

The new Canon 16-35mm F/4.0L is a spectacular lens if you have £700-£1000 depending if you're okay with grey imports?
I have purchased from HDEW before, they do grey imports but give a UK warranty via a Canon repairer in the UK.
They take care of the import & vat etc so the price you see is what you pay.

http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-ef-16-35mm-f4l-is-usm-2325-p.asp (£759)

Having said that there are plenty of other wide angle lenses you can get from 3rd party makers which offer exceptional IQ.

But I can't express enough that going full frame for the landscape is your best bet.

Before committing yourself to Canon have a look at the Nikon range which use sensors manufactured by Sony. It's widely acknowledged and accepted that the image quality out performs the Canon sensors.

Before committing yourself to Canon have a look at the Nikon range which use sensors manufactured by Sony. It's widely acknowledged and accepted that the image quality out performs the Canon sensors.
Oh my, I can feel it coming...

As mentioned above the 6D probably fits your requirements best due to the larger sensor, however I believe it is a plastic body so may not suit the ocean and desert environments you mention. the 5D mark II (second hand) will probably be in a lower price range and has better weather sealing (as I understand it, I might be wrong) and a full frame sensor.

If you want to push the boat out the 5D mark III is the latest model that has the aluminium body/weather sealing and full frame sensor.

A much cheaper option could be the EOS-M. It has the same sensor as the 700D (a crop sensor) but in a much smaller/lighter package. It has a metal body, but probably not proper weather sealing. However it's currently selling for £199 at Argos, including kit lens and flash, and there is a nice 11-22mm lens available in the M mount for just over £300. It might be a nice little low budget alternative.

Anyway, to compare the ones you mentioned:
  • 700D - cheapest of the 3 you've listed - Plastic build - no top display - has a flip out LCD screen - crop sensor
  • 70D - bit better build (aluminium body I believe) - top display - has a flip out LCD screen - crop sensor
  • 6D - Plastic build - top display - full frame sensor
Cameras by other manufacturers are available...

Edit: this might help you compare high level specs:
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-6D-vs-Canon-EOS-70D

i think canon sensors are better at high iso (a7s better tho im fairly sure), while sony sensors have alot better dynamic range at low iso's. and 24- 36mp vs 22?mp

canon would get beat by sigma camera's for landscapes too :p

<3 merril sensor

unless you got a bunch of canon glass, little reason to go canon for landscapes, imo

As mentioned above the 6D probably fits your requirements best due to the larger sensor, however I believe it is a plastic body so may not suit the ocean and desert environments you mention. the 5D mark II (second hand) will probably be in a lower price range and has better weather sealing (as I understand it, I might be wrong) and a full frame sensor.

If you want to push the boat out the 5D mark III is the latest model that has the aluminium body/weather sealing and full frame sensor.

A much cheaper option could be the EOS-M. It has the same sensor as the 700D (a crop sensor) but in a much smaller/lighter package. It has a metal body, but probably not proper weather sealing. However it's currently selling for £199 at Argos, including kit lens and flash, and there is a nice 11-22mm lens available in the M mount for just over £300. It might be a nice little low budget alternative.

Anyway, to compare the ones you mentioned:
  • 700D - cheapest of the 3 you've listed - Plastic build - no top display - has a flip out LCD screen - crop sensor
  • 70D - bit better build (aluminium body I believe) - top display - has a flip out LCD screen - crop sensor
  • 6D - Plastic build - top display - full frame sensor
Cameras by other manufacturers are available...

Edit: this might help you compare high level specs:
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-6D-vs-Canon-EOS-70D
The 6d isn't plastic - its mag alloy, the only plastic bit is the top section above the view finder so the WiFi can transmit.

Other than that, the build and weather proofing is the same as the 5d mk3.

Last edited:
Back