Amazon and Sigma 150-500mm

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I wouldn't buy from a third part seller on Amazon but does anyone know if the Sigma 150-500mm lens sold by Amazon and fulfilled by Amazon is eligible for the £100 cashback promotion please? I can't find any info anywhere.
Thanks

So, I phoned Sigma imaging today and explained that I wanted to buy this lens sold and fulfilled by Amazon. The lady on the other end of the phone said that the lens would be UK stock as they supply Amazon but to make sure that I only bought it direct from Amazon. She also said that if I was to buy it, to phone again with the serial number so that Sigma can confirm it as being imported via Sigma UK.
I have now taken the plunge and bought it with delivery for tomorrow. I will then confirm the serial as advised, without opening the box.
It's too good a price to miss at the moment, £685 with £100 cashback so I do hope I don't have to send it back to Amazon.
I had been waiting for the Tamron 150-600mm in the Nikon mount to arrive in the UK but I am not prepared to lose what summer we may have waiting for that so I hope the Bigma lives up to my expectations!!!

Very disappointed with this lens. Well out of focus on my D90 at 500mm and the same on my D7000. Tried AF fine tuning on my D7000 (not an option on my D90) and I am down at the maximum -20, getting better but still not there. My D7000 does not have any AF problems with any of my other lenses, I have checked.
Even when manually focussed (on a sturdy tripod and using magnified live view) it is still very soft.
I really hoped for more from this lens but this one will be going back and I will be buying the Nikon 300mm f4 prime plus a 1.4x TC as a replacement, twice the price but more or less guaranteed the quality that I expect from spending that amount of money.

Even when manually focussed (on a sturdy tripod and using magnified live view) it is still very soft.

Sounds like you have a dodgy one if that's the case, I have the 50-500mm OS and I believe at 500mm it has the same sort of IQ as the 150-500mm. Have to say mine is excellent, maybe it's worth returning for another copy before giving up completely?

I also have a 300mm prime and TC but I use the Sigma a lot more because of the convenience of a zoom.

So, I phoned Sigma imaging today and explained that I wanted to buy this lens sold and fulfilled by Amazon. The lady on the other end of the phone said that the lens would be UK stock as they supply Amazon but to make sure that I only bought it direct from Amazon. She also said that if I was to buy it, to phone again with the serial number so that Sigma can confirm it as being imported via Sigma UK.
I have now taken the plunge and bought it with delivery for tomorrow. I will then confirm the serial as advised, without opening the box.
It's too good a price to miss at the moment, £685 with £100 cashback so I do hope I don't have to send it back to Amazon.
I had been waiting for the Tamron 150-600mm in the Nikon mount to arrive in the UK but I am not prepared to lose what summer we may have waiting for that so I hope the Bigma lives up to my expectations!!!

The tamron is showing as in stock in nikon mount at devon camera if you're still looking
https://www.devoncamera.co.uk/index.cfm/product/tamron-150-600-f5-0-6-3-sp-di-vc-usd-lens-9236

I bought my 150-500mm from Amazon - tack sharp, I'm sure Amazon will refund or exchange this lens without quibble- just ask

Les

Very disappointed with this lens. Well out of focus on my D90 at 500mm and the same on my D7000. Tried AF fine tuning on my D7000 (not an option on my D90) and I am down at the maximum -20, getting better but still not there. My D7000 does not have any AF problems with any of my other lenses, I have checked.
I really hoped for more from this lens but this one will be going back and I will be buying the Nikon 300mm f4 prime plus a 1.4x TC as a replacement, twice the price but more or less guaranteed the quality that I expect from spending that amount of money.

I had a 150-500 and now have a 50-500, both sharp. I'd send yours back for replacement.

A friend was telling me at the weekend that it's possible to be unlucky with Sigma lenses and sometimes getting a replacement is the thing to do.

If you look back over the forum a few years you'll see the same issue time and again. It's possible to get a great Sigma lens but their QC can be very poor so it's just as possible to get a bad one. I've had both the 50-500 and more recently the 150-500, good copies of both (not great ones) I sold them both on because of the weight more than quality issues though.

Par for the course with Sigma I'm afraid. If you get a good one they can be great but their quality control is farcical.

The newer models seem to be far more consistent but the older models are a lottery.

Back