An Englishman's Home...

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I guess this section is as good as any to post this rubbish!

The premise behind the ongoing project from which these pictures are taken is that when Englishman's home lacks a moat and drawbridge he plants hedges.

Early on I was trying to make pictures that showed things which describe modern living - TV aerials, satellite dishes, burglar alarms, security cameras - while also trying to say something about the paranoia of privacy. Having got a bit lost with the project I tried editing the pictures down last week and it seemed that the most successful ones are those that reveal the least of what lies behind he hedge. With that in mind I intend to pursue that approach further until I either get bored or find another approach.

I can hear the cries of "Emperor's New Clothes" already so I'll only post four. Am I barking up the wrong tree, or just barking? :D

P1060369.jpg

DL2_8927.jpg

DL2_8933.jpg

P1050741.jpg

You're absolutely barking. :) And I love the idea.

Without the glimpse of rooftop they would be nothing of course.

Keep going. (y)

Thanks chaps. the rouble with this kin of thing is knowing when to stop!

@Ed Sutton

Interesting project. Carry on. I'd be concerned about the sustainability of the work, in terms of if it was a book, how many pages of this would you want/need. I think some typology style portraits of the home owners may make it easier to curate as a work/book/exhibition and give a broader appeal.. and context.

Last edited:
@Ed Sutton

Interesting project. Carry on. I'd be concerned about the sustainability of the work, in terms of if it was a book, how many pages of this would you want/need. I think some typology style portraits of the home owners may make it easier to curate as a work/book/exhibition and give a broader appeal.. and context.

Thanks.

As you rightly say, it certainly wouldn't make a book without broadening its scope. It's an idea without and end in sight. Which is often my failing - although the final output concept usually comes to me during a project. My thinking at the moment is to make a grid of x number of pictures (probably 9 to 12 in order to keep repetition to a minimum) to become the finished piece.

However I have other things on the go, and completed, that are loosely connected to this which could be brought in to make a book or exhibition (fat chance of that!). One such being this little book - which I also made into a set of postcards. I like postcards because you can order them any way you choose and they can make a pleasing thing as a set in a box.

This continues to be ongoing in my usual haphazard fashion - having been distracted by other ideas that I've begun to pursue...

I think I'm heading in the direction of a grid, or maybe grids, now. Something along these lines. It's always difficult to leave out favourite pictures even when you know they don't fit in the group.

homegrid9b.jpg

Larger

That's one of the hardest parts with editing a series. You have a shot you really like, but it just doesn't fit. You have to be brutal... if it doesn't fit... it doesn't go in no matter how good it is.

That's one of the hardest parts with editing a series. You have a shot you really like, but it just doesn't fit. You have to be brutal... if it doesn't fit... it doesn't go in no matter how good it is.

Editing is a skill that seems to get overlooked. How about a tutorial for the forum, David?:)

Interesting idea.
Have a look at Eileen rafferty blog http://www.eileen-rafferty.com, a mature student with the Oca
She looked at trees in front of houses at a project.

Interesting blog, but I couldn't find the tree project. Have you a shortcut?

Anyway, for the time being I think the set above will suffice for now after I swap a couple around. No doubt I'll continue taking pictures in the same vein in the hope that I might improve but I think I've gone as far as I can. I do tend to get bored with things (and distracted by other ideas) quite easily and most of my projects sort of fizzle out...:rolleyes:

Along the way I tried a few other approaches which I discarded but which might resurface. One was more about houses and gardens which is a different story to what I was trying to look at. Sort of related pictures, but different.

DL2_4704.jpg

FUJI0403.jpg

Ta. I'd seen the single trees. Must not have gone back far enough. I'll go have another look.

Edit: Found them. :)

Last edited:
Editing is a skill that seems to get overlooked. How about a tutorial for the forum, David?:)

Ha!.. if I get the time! The wonderful world of education is slowly turning into a nightmare journey of administrative hell... I have no life.

Take early retirement and follow your muse. There must be a spare garret in Blackpool you could starve in! :D

Hmm.. Mrs G wants a new gate across our driveway. I never thought about it that way before but this would complete our "battlements" and ensure we have a fully defended perimeter!

Great concept and I like how you are going about the execution. It's funny, people spend huge amounts making their houses look nice but usually the most people get to see it is an obscured view from the roadside. Good stuff!

Thanks Tim.

Being forever indecisive things changed a bit yesterday, for the better I think, but I need a couple more pics then I think I'll be done.

I'm not sure if this version is a good idea or not. Is the central frame with the flag too obvious a reference? Is the vague visual allusion to the Union Jack in the format of the grid worth the bother?

Or have I got bored and started playing around for the sake of it? :D

homegridflag.jpg

Bigger

While taking the photographs for the original project I made some which didn't really fit. They were of trees obscuring houses. This week, using a wider lens, I made some more along similar lines which show more of teh houses.

There is still the element of concealment involved, but it's not as strong. As yet I'm not really sure what these pictures are about. Probably something to do with the small English garden aspiring to the landscaping of country houses. Or maybe I'm imagining that! But there is something about the scale of the trees in comparison to the garden space. I'm calling the series 'Tree Houses'. View larger.

treehouses.jpg

I'm not sure if this version is a good idea or not. Is the central frame with the flag too obvious a reference? Is the vague visual allusion to the Union Jack in the format of the grid worth the bother?

Or have I got bored and started playing around for the sake of it? :D

homegridflag.jpg

Bigger
I never saw this set.... I like them.

The one with the yellow rose does it for me!

Just come across this thread Dave and I'm really liking the 'Tree Houses' set, just offering a glimpse into what lies behind.
The sunlight helps and draws you in, making me want to go and explore at least a couple of the gardens.

Guess I'm just nosy!

I'm nosey too!

You're right about the sunlight. Ones I've taken on dull days haven't been quite as strong.

Back