An Orb spider ... I think

False Widow (Steatoda nobilis) and they bite, good shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice find Tony, I really like the first, it is certainly asking for attention. To nit-pick a little, you are getting some strong highlights. How are you lighting these?

Eerie smiley face on it's back :help:

Tony good find & shot :)

Eerie face :eek:

Tim I was being lazy I must admit
I do have a fairly decent diffuser setup but on this occasion I just used the
Canon MT-24EX flash with a pair of STO-FEN Flash Diffusers with a
further layer of diffuser type material over the STO-FEN Diffusers
below are a few of my shots (from a while back) with better diffusion ;)

Look into my eyes by tp.man500, on Flickr

Crab spider by tp.man500, on Flickr

image by tp.man500, on Flickr

:exit:

Tony the last batch are stunning - well impressed (y)(y)(y)

I've got a false widow living in a crack next to my back door.

I'm leaving it well alone.

Love that last bee btw.

Tim I was being lazy I must admit
I do have a fairly decent diffuser setup but on this occasion I just used the
Canon MT-24EX flash with a pair of STO-FEN Flash Diffusers with a
further layer of diffuser type material over the STO-FEN Diffusers
below are a few of my shots (from a while back) with better diffusion ;)

Can I ask how the diffusion differed to the false-widow shots? I would have thought the above would have provided sufficient diffusion, but I know the MT-24 can be notoriously difficult to get good diffusion with.

More & well worth posting as they look excellent - why not change the thread title to say more pics added :)

Just look at the leg joints on this thing, (where they come out of the spiders body, zoom in close)
they look like metal sockets/joints, woooh .......

Last edited:
Just look at the leg joints on this thing, (where they come out of the spiders body, zoom in close)
they look like metal sockets/joints, woooh .......
Yeah I always think of bugs as tiny but ingenious machines. Great stuff Tony, and interestingly, another seven-legged specimen :)

Yes well spotted Tim,
reminds me of that old joke "What do you call a donkey with 3 legs" ???????????????????? wonkey :rolleyes:

:exit:

Excellent shots, so you are getting better lighting results from the cheaper flash setup. Well depends on the speedlights you have I guess.

:D

How sturdy is the flexi arm thing... looks a little weak, do you find the flashes migrating?

Bessel at the photography show had the strong ones like Manfrotto ones but I can't see them on their website which is annoying as should have bought 2 whilst at the show.

Bryn
yes the flash brackets I use could be stronger but are adequate and the rig does give good results and allows you to move the flash heads
in an infinite number of positions, but still room for improvement :D
When you say "flashes migrating" not quite sure what you mean ?

No Bryn the heads do stay more or less where you position them the brackets/arms are not that bad but as I said previously
they could (if I was designing them) be beefed up a bit

Back