Andy & Gemma - Wedding

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
... I can't see many where I would have preferred more in focus to be honest, except the one in the car where she is sharp and he is slightly behind her. That's one I wish I had used more DOF on for sure.

Fair enough, but a pound to a penny says that the more weddings you shoot, the less often you shoot wide open for the effect ;)

It's a tricky one. Depends who you are blogging for I guess. The wedding couple and their guests will see things in some shots that complete strangers will not and they will mean more to them. I was chatting to a friend about this. I could probably halve the images in the blog post but it wouldn't tell the story of the day as well. Believe me, it's something I am still working on. I can't give more of an answer than that at the moment.

FWIW I can't see what the answer is to this one either. Unfortunately though it's a problem wedding snappers have given themselves by so jumping on this particular bandwagon that brides now expect a shedful of snaps to be blogged from their wedding. And believe me, this isn't something that came about in response to customer demand.

Hmmm, it's not a choice I have sat and conciously made to shoot things in landscape. I just kind of do stuff at the time what feels right. There are a few in the full set of images that are in portrait format. A couple of bride portraits but your right, mostly landscape.

You're in good company, Mr Morton. About the only things that we ever shot portrait were formal full-length couple shots and the occasional single headshot, and it wasn't a conscious decision for us either.

... do I want to shoot like other people? Still on the fence.

I'd get off it Gareth. The answer should be "no" :)

...I genuinely love a wedding day and hopefully people will buy into that. I know it sounds a bit idealistic ...

Only to those who shoot weddings for turnover or because they're crap at anything else. We were the same, and it's one of the things that helped us make a nice living out of snapping only weddings. The love of shooting weddings will always show in your work and in the way you interact with potential clients. A lot of brides we met with certainly picked up on it.

I am just winging it really. Doing it how I like and learning as I go.

And why not? That worked for us for 10 years! :D

Looking through your blog and I can understand why you struggled to cull images, as the one's you've posted are superb. Also I think not using flash for the nighttime shots adds to them. Also the fact that you've got 5 confirmed for next year is testament to the work you've done so far, so good on you. Seeing some of your shots have also given me inspiration as I've got a couple of wedding this year (friends of friends), and I'm bricking it hehehe.

Looking through your blog and I can understand why you struggled to cull images, as the one's you've posted are superb. Also I think not using flash for the nighttime shots adds to them. Also the fact that you've got 5 confirmed for next year is testament to the work you've done so far, so good on you. Seeing some of your shots have also given me inspiration as I've got a couple of wedding this year (friends of friends), and I'm bricking it hehehe.

Thank you Simon for the kind words. It's very much appreciated. :)

Original

edited

And you say the whites arn't blown?
The creases in the dress I think show up a lot better in my edited version

Last edited:

Indeed they do, but alas your version just looks like an underexposed shot that's been messed about with on an uncalibrated monitor. Believe me, in the real world, nobody but a photographer (particularly one with no knowledge or experience of the world of wedding photography) will give a flying one about the creases in the dress.

And you say the whites arn't blown?

Nope, definitely not blown in the original at all. I'm afraid I would have to agree with Ben & Dan about your edit. The skin looks terrible and the whole image is far too dark.

yep i'd concur - on my (calibrated) screen theres no blow out - except for a teeny patch in the train on #4 which no one is going to care about

that aside they look great - i did wonder if #2 would be stronger with a bit cropped off the top (to remove the pane above the door) but thats a really minor point - other than that lovely work

yep i'd concur - on my (calibrated) screen theres no blow out - except for a teeny patch in the train on #4 which no one is going to care about

that aside they look great - i did wonder if #2 would be stronger with a bit cropped off the top (to remove the pane above the door) but thats a really minor point - other than that lovely work

Thank you, Pete.

Back