Another advice plea

Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
Yes
Having intoduced myself I thought i'd take the plunge and ask some advice for my next step up the ladder. I have a Panasonic FZ-18 bridge camera, which i'd like to move on from.
I bought the FZ-18 because I liked the features (PASM, Raw etc) and the 28-504mm zoom. Now I find i'm pushing it's limits as I like motorsports, wildlife and macro flower shots.

I have a budget of £800 max. Here's the shorlist so far -

450D + 18-55 & 55-200 with money to spare for extra bits
500D + 18-55 & 55-200 kit lenss
D5000 + 18-55 & 55-200 kit lens
D90 + 18-105

I like the idea of getting a longer zoom as this is what started my trade up to the FZ-18.

Then there's the idea of getting an older/secondhand model with lenses such as-

Pentax K20
30D
etc.

Any advice would be welcome.

Obviously im going to plug for a nikon being a user myself, rather than going new your often better getting a decent second hand body which leaves you more cash for new or second hand glass, im not a motorsport tog so i will leave them to advise you on the glass, for 800 i think you could prob just about get a d200 and a 70-200 2.8

Any of the one's you have listed would do the job. It would be best if you go to a shop that stocks them all and try them and find the one your most comfortable with.

as long as ones at the right prices come up, you could probably get a 2nd hand D200 and sigma 70-200 f2.8 for that, and save up for a shorter lens (eg tamron 17-50 f2.8)

as long as ones at the right prices come up, you could probably get a 2nd hand D200 and sigma 70-200 f2.8 for that, and save up for a shorter lens (eg tamron 17-50 f2.8)
Same as this but you could probably get a used 40D instead of the D200.

I think it all boils down to what you are most comfortable with. Try going to Jessops and handling some Canon/Nikon cameras and see which you prefer (y)

I hadn't looked at the D200 or the 40d that much. Looking at all the recent reviews I must admit I was a little taken with the new shiny cameras. However I really don't need Video capability, as i've used it once on the FZ-18 in 18 months. I'll probably keep the FZ-18 anyway as I was only offered £60 against a trade in.

I like the idea of the 40D. My dad had the 30D (and recently got the 50D) and he got some great results.
I'll start to look around. Thanks for the advice.

you can pick up a 2nd hand 40d for about £450 on here, leaving £350 for a lens.

Can't comment on the Nikon range, but from the 2 Canon ones, unless you want / need the ability to video, I'd save some money and go for the 450D and lenses (I'd probably go for the 55-250IS lens over the 55-200 lens though), or spend the extra on different lenses -> 450D with kit IS lens and a 70-300IS lens for example.

Good luck with your search (y)

Arhh th choice.
I had looked at the 450D first, but as always the next one up always calls!
Would the 450D be good if I paired it with f2.8 lenses?

Back