Another British MotoGP thread...

m.d

Edit My Images
No
Apologies for another thread of the same subject...

I was at the British MotoGP last weekend as a spectator, and this was also my first outing with a camera. I had no expectation of getting any shots as a complete amateur, just some practise! Looking back through the shots I took, I came across one which I thought passable (at least until I saw everyone else's efforts!).

Either way I thought I'd upload this for some critique. It's shot from my seat in the stand at Club corner - I'm aware that I should have gotten down closer to track level! This is taken with a 60D, 70-300 DO IS USM, at 300mm f/5.6 1/100 (I think!). The image is exactly as it was taken from the camera, but I've scaled it down (unsure of size limits on the forum?).

I can see for myself that the bike isn't as sharp as it should be, and it could do without the dark part of the image on the left which is one of the supports of the stand roof.

What are peoples thoughts? How could I improve this shot if I had the same situation again?

Thanks!

View attachment 19980

Hi md
Congratulations, you have the elements of a good bike shot!
The wheels and background are blurred giving a great impression of speed - it's staggeringly difficult to get those things blurred and the rider pin-sharp.
It's a bit underexposed - this is because the track is quite bright and the camera has darkened everything to keep the overall exposure "average".
However, you need to expose for the rider so next time increase the exposure compensation by a stop - give or take - experiment.
If you crop the image from the left to remove the post you'll keep all of the shadow on the track and the rider will still have space to move into.
Bring it in a bit from the right but not too close to Vale's back wheel and you're sorted!

Hope that makes sense.

cheers, cw

I didnt notice the dark part of the image on the left because I feel the whole image looks underexposed/dark, you could up the exposure in post and crop it? maybe a 16:9 crop and clone more of the good part of the image, over to the left getting that space back?

The only thing I could think of how to improve it again could be to get the exposure up? If it looks ok on your screen, could be your screen is set too bright? other than that and what you have already pointed out (sharpness) and the exposure issue, I think its a good shot

Hi md
Congratulations, you have the elements of a good bike shot!
The wheels and background are blurred giving a great impression of speed - it's staggeringly difficult to get those things blurred and the rider pin-sharp.
It's a bit underexposed - this is because the track is quite bright and the camera has darkened everything to keep the overall exposure "average".
However, you need to expose for the rider so next time increase the exposure compensation by a stop - give or take - experiment.
If you crop the image from the left to remove the post you'll keep all of the shadow on the track and the rider will still have space to move into.
Bring it in a bit from the right but not too close to Vale's back wheel and you're sorted!

Hope that makes sense.

cheers, cw
got there before me and glad it wasn't just me who thought it was underexposed :)

Maybe try Centre Weighted Average metering next time.

Take on board these tips and keep practicing, but location is all important and getting down to bike level should make things a little easier for you to experiment more.
Clive

Thanks for the comments everyone - much appreciated. I'll be sure to take all of this onboard for next time!

Back