Another hand held

The angle isn't very great being on top of the subject. With such a narrow dof like that a more head on, lower level shot might have been better.

The angle isn't very great being on top of the subject. With such a narrow dof like that a more head on, lower level shot might have been better.

:agree: Also please note most of us Macroiers shoot Handheld... there are some who use tripods/mono's but they are definitely in the minority on here at least.

Tripod for live, in the field insect Macro????

Thanks for the replies ,i couldn`t get a better angle due the bushes and unfortunatly i didn`t take a tripod with me

Thanks for the replies ,i couldn`t get a better angle due the bushes and unfortunatly i didn`t take a tripod with me

Yes just keep plugging away. And just to annoy @BRASH don't forget your tripod lol

Just so you know I have never used one other than studio dead critter work.

I don't think I have ever used a tripod for any of my macro stuff, even indoors the oil and water pics are all hand held.

I don't think I have ever used a tripod for any of my macro stuff, even indoors the oil and water pics are all hand held.
Oh THAT's why they are all blurry then! :nailbiting:

Only messin' anyway, agree with the above comments - lower angle, bit more DoF if you can manage it. I'm guessing this is a natural light shot. Bringing in a flash might help for these type of shots.

Oh THAT's why they are all blurry then! :nailbiting:

Only messin' anyway, agree with the above comments - lower angle, bit more DoF if you can manage it. I'm guessing this is a natural light shot. Bringing in a flash might help for these type of shots.

Ha!! You'll get the back of my hand laddie:mad:;)

Yes natural light ,didn't think I'd need flash,guess you learn something new every time

Flash will enable you to reduce your aperture (increasing DoF) whilst maintaining a fast shutter speed (and low ISO). It will also help pick out sharper details. It's whatever you prefer really, but usually I would suggest natural light for more environmental type shots (unless you are doing early morning focus stacking) and flash is more appropriate for extreme close ups such as this one. One step at a time though, flash and diffusing it is a whole new area of macro and doesn't come without certain compromises. You will find your subjects will also react to it for example, so quite often you only get one chance at a shot!

Tripod for live, in the field insect Macro????

oh yes definately!!
not all the time but for early morning stuff I often use a tripod and always use one for in the tropical butterfly house

LOL you guys. Yeah I don't use a tripod at any point for live subject macro. However, a monopod could be of significant help if handheld is a little difficult.

...................................... a monopod could be of significant help if handheld is a little difficult.

Only for chopping yer way through the undergrowth.

LOL you guys. Yeah I don't use a tripod at any point for live subject macro. However, a monopod could be of significant help if handheld is a little difficult.

Yep this year I've started carrying a monopod it's handy for some situations like a damselfly perched awkwardly a monopod makes it easier to steady the camera
I don't use flash tho and often am on a very low shutter speed, I guess if your using flash it's not such a problem:)

I only work handheld and I find flash helps the most and I using it more and more.

Back