Another portrait attempt

Edit My Images
No
I found some willing volunteers to practice on.

Toni.jpg

I'm not a studio portrait guy, and I would HOPE that someone better placed will take the time to comment more constructively. But here's my take on this one - Love the expressions on the two youngsters. The lighting is rather unbalanced with blown highlights on the R/H side and a rather muddy BG. It appears that you are trying to achieve too much from a single light source perhaps. With the composition of the subjects, a closer crop would be my choice also. Not sure if that helps :shrug:

Thanks for your comments. It does look better printed, the BG doesnt look as muddy. Its not the best of the bunch. I think you are right about the crop and looking at it more it looks a bit flat. Lots more practice required I think!

Thanks

Last edited:
Its not a bad effort, much better then some of mine, but I would try and move them a bit further away from the background next time if you can, it might just be my laptop screen, but it looks like some of the bg 'muddiness' is actually soft shadows. :shrug:

Also, the lady at the back, the hair over her eye is a distraction. I am curious though, if you think this isn't the best of the bunch, where are the better ones? :naughty:

I'd agree with the above. Move the subjects away from the background however what you will get is a darker background - unless you light it seperately.

The girl at thefront is looking up too much so better getting down to her level a little mopre too.

Bring the softbox/brolly nearer the centre. Lighting a group from only one side means the person nearest the light getting much more light than the person furthest away. Although some are exposed correctly the girl camera right is over exposed a bit.

It's tough at the start.....

Hi Dave, yea Yv is about right but a nightmare to set up, been practising this myself.

Back