Another set of Stacks

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
Ohhh handheld. Wow, how you do stack handheld? Super fast FPS and no flash?

Ohhh handheld. Wow, how you do stack handheld? Super fast FPS and no flash?

Haha ... flash is most definitely used these were taken at 10ish pm last night. FPS helps but flash refresh doesn't really play ball. I used to just try and eyeball next section through viewfinder trying to keep same angle (in other words not needed but helps).

The answer to first question is practice. I'm quite steady... put subject in middle of frame and use an eye or something as a reference point and slowly rock back and forth and shoot once a specific sections is in focus. Hardest bit is missing a tiny bit and it ruins your stack. Had a 10 shot stack that was ruined just because of a tiny sliver was missing.

A lot of practice!, and skill. The Venus lens seems really good, but am I right in that it has no auto aperture? You were shooting at dusk, so what aperture did you use, could you really see the insects? Sorry for all the questions, but newbie needs teaching :D

A lot of practice!, and skill. The Venus lens seems really good, but am I right in that it has no auto aperture? You were shooting at dusk, so what aperture did you use, could you really see the insects? Sorry for all the questions, but newbie needs teaching :D

It's absolutely fine Andy as long as your learning it's great to see.

Yes your right the Venus is a manual lens and I set aperture to f8 as find I like it @Paul Iddon uses f11 I believe.

I could see the subjects but only because I use a focus light... dual headed bike light high powered thing, a CREE torch can be as good though just like the small frame of bike light.

Last thing ask away :)

Last edited:
So could you use a constant light source instead of a flash?

Its possible but I dont know anything small enough or powerful enough to be able to do it.... :D The high powered torch / bike light is only powerful enough to see subject if I shot the subject with only that the scene would be black.

I have a 300 LED panel and thats only powerful enough for up to f4. (y) f8 with a lot of recovery.

Right ok thanks, scratch that theory then!. I guess I underestimate just how much light is needed at f8 or more. I do wonder if I made a mistake getting the Sigma 105. Well maybe not a mistake, but I wonder how quickly I'll out grow it. Good excuse to buy another lens :D.

Nice series Bryn - (what's handheld?) lol..

You got a bonus springtail in the 6 shot stack of the beetle - but the tail of the said beetle is quite there - but without using a tripod I applaud you!

Paul.

Right ok thanks, scratch that theory then!. I guess I underestimate just how much light is needed at f8 or more. I do wonder if I made a mistake getting the Sigma 105. Well maybe not a mistake, but I wonder how quickly I'll out grow it. Good excuse to buy another lens :D.

Please don't... get real good with the Sigma first with tubes/teleconvertor to get you closer then when you have got that nailed then think about getting a new lens (context I had tamron 90mm for a year and half before I got anything else)

Nice series Bryn - (what's handheld?) lol..

You got a bonus springtail in the 6 shot stack of the beetle - but the tail of the said beetle is quite there - but without using a tripod I applaud you!

Paul.

Thanks Paul... yes I added it back in because I thought it was funny always a bonus to get 2 in one :D

Please don't... get real good with the Sigma first with tubes/teleconvertor to get you closer then when you have got that nailed then think about getting a new lens (context I had tamron 90mm for a year and half before I got anything else)

I won't :D. Quite happy with the Sigma for the moment. Bloody ring flash has packed in though :(. First one I blew up by firing the flash with the modelling light on, the second one has a faulty left side bulb.

Grrrrr, buy cheap, buy...god knows how many times :D.

I won't :D. Quite happy with the Sigma for the moment. Bloody ring flash has packed in though :(. First one I blew up by firing the flash with the modelling light on, the second one has a faulty left side bulb.

Grrrrr, buy cheap, buy...god knows how many times :D.

Get the Yongnuo one never had a issue with mine and the person who bought it off me loves it :D

Great selection - Paul is right about the beetle tail. With the selection being so good it seems almost churlish to mention the dust marks in the second - but hey why not! :p:D:D

Hahaha... I was waiting for someone to pick that up... they aren't dust marks :D See other images none have the same ... (I mean on flickr etc) its just poor processing on my part in Zerene. :D

See original images

_13A7890
by Bryn_Thomas, on Flickr

_13A7891
by Bryn_Thomas, on Flickr

Last edited:
Get the Yongnuo one never had a issue with mine and the person who bought it off me loves it :D

I was thinking of spending a bit more and getting a better quality flash, like either the Sigma or Nissin MF-18? Worth the money or not do you think?

I was thinking of spending a bit more and getting a better quality flash, like either the Sigma or Nissin MF-18? Worth the money or not do you think?

Not worth it mate... you'll only go and sell it a year on :D

Another very nice set Bryn, cant fault them really, I though dust bunnies at 1st :)
@andythilo buy Yongnou, cheap enough but good quality :D and my MK 3 I can get about a 1000 shots on one charge of batteries.

Another very nice set Bryn, cant fault them really, I though dust bunnies at 1st :)
@andythilo buy Yongnou, cheap enough but good quality :D and my MK 3 I can get about a 1000 shots on one charge of batteries.

1000 shots? Wow that's pretty good. Are you powering it off a car battery? :D. Amazon don't have the Yongnou for Nikon :(

Ah screw it, can't do Macro without light, I've ordered the Nissin. Has very good reviews, get it tomorrow from Amazon so can easily send it back.

I'm going to try and make a diffuser, similar to a stofen but round, obviously :D. Mind you it would block the focusing lights so... Ah well, we'll see, perhaps I just need to -ev the flash a little.

Back