Both with canon 1Ds MKII, 70-200 F2.8+1.4 TC

Larger image link under each

1/2500 sec @ f5.6, ISO400 spot metering

s1s.jpg

http://www.lesmclean.co.uk/ducksflight2/s1.jpg

1/500 sec @ F5.6 ISO 400 spot metering

m1s.jpg

http://www.lesmclean.co.uk/ducksflight2/m1.jpg

Love the depth of colour in these. And you did well to catch the swan in flight.

Steve

wow ... so sharpe and the colors are excellant, really nice pictures

That swan is a cracker (y):clap:

Les, fantastic shots.(y) I tried getting some Birds/Wildlife shots with a 70-300mm and couldn't get anywhere close (distant shadows only) to get that swan in flight is truly awsome.

:help:I'm visiting in North Yorkshire Easter weekend any places you can recommend to visit?

Absolutely gorgeous, Les! Both of them. Any chance I could get 1920x1200 versions of them for my desktop?

Les, fantastic shots.(y) I tried getting some Birds/Wildlife shots with a 70-300mm and couldn't get anywhere close (distant shadows only) to get that swan in flight is truly awsome.

:help:I'm visiting in North Yorkshire Easter weekend any places you can recommend to visit?

What kind of photography do you intend doing?

Great swan Les (y)
But the Mandarin is even better :clap:

Les, I'm really hoping the weather is going to be nice to me so I can really try out my 170-500mm, so Birdy/Wildlife and Landscapes/Old buildings I would prefer. I want to re-visit the asgarth falls area as I wasn't happy with the shots I got on my last visit (which you can see in my Gallery). But any tips would be welcome.

Les, I'm really hoping the weather is going to be nice to me so I can really try out my 170-500mm, so Birdy/Wildlife and Landscapes/Old buildings I would prefer. I want to re-visit the asgarth falls area as I wasn't happy with the shots I got on my last visit (which you can see in my Gallery). But any tips would be welcome.

Give me a day or so, I'll get my thinking cap on and come back to you with some possible locations.

If you re-visit Aysgarth Falls, you must visit West Burton Falls, it's only about 4 miles from Aysgarth, and you can park right next to the waterfall. It's one of Yorkshires hidden treasures, and (IMO) the bonniest little fall in the UK. If you go, afternoon is best as the sun rises from behind the falls, making exposure a tad difficult.
You get to the fall by following the road (30 yards) on the left past the old mill as you come upon the village green - You can see the river as you enter West Burton.

Another location is Fountains Abbey and deer park (near Ripon), the abbey and grounds have loads of photographic opportunities, and the deer park has a big herd of deer, and you can get (quite) close to the herd. You can visit the deer park without visiting the Abbey, but you need to park at the Studley Rodger car-park rather than the main Fountains abbey car park.

http://www.fountainsabbey.org.uk/

Ligh****er Valley (near Ripon) is a large theme park, but it also has an excellent Birds of Prey Centre, while on the grounds, is separate from the theme park. Has a good selection of birds and has flying demonstrations twice a day.

http://www.ligh****ervalley.co.uk/birdofprey/index.php

It seems the censor has removed a few letters, so you will need to insert t*w*a*t particularly in the link for it to make sense.

York is an excellent day out, particularly the National Rail Museum (free entrance) and York Minster.

Richmond is nice, and the medieval castle is impressive, but not too photogenic (IMO), although the river and falls below the castle is pleasant.

Here's a pdf file (800k)with maps and arrows indicating the first 3 locations mentioned above

http://www.lesmclean.co.uk/Nyorkmaps.pdf

cracking shots les, could you please just tell me where you shot the mandarin duck, so my wife will leave me alone and stop badgering me.
We are going to Coton manor in april and there are some there, is it possible to get close to them.

Les these all sound wonderful sugestions, thanks so much for spending the time to sort this out. Hopefully the weather will be kind as this is likely my last visit to NY for a while. Any pics I do get I'm sure to post up on TP.

Regards

Paul(y)

cracking shots les, could you please just tell me where you shot the mandarin duck, so my wife will leave me alone and stop badgering me.
We are going to Coton manor in april and there are some there, is it possible to get close to them.

Shot in Ilkley, just upstream of the main bridge.

The mandarin ducks here appear relatively friendly, I think it's because they (and the mallards) get fed frequently as it's a popular part of the riverside, so will come pretty close.

Ilk.JPG

Hammerhead, if you're going to fountains abbey and want some (very) easy bird shots you should go to Sutton Bank visitor centre, I don't think it's far from there. Take an outside table in the cafe, order a flapjack and spread the crumbs over your table. You WILL get a lot of chaffinches landing within and sometimes under 70-300mm range, also blue tits, coal tits, and a robin if you're lucky. The coffee is good too :D

Excellent shots by the way Les!

Les/Ewan thanks for the info. Just uploading the locations to my Sat Nav. Just hope the weather treats me nice.(y)

Les/Ewan thanks for the info. Just uploading the locations to my Sat Nav. Just hope the weather treats me nice.(y)

If I'd known I could have sent you the locations as tomtom POI :)

great colours on the duck, and shaaaarp (y)

If you're ever down this way, Virginia Water at The Royal Landscape (www.theroyallandscape.co.uk) has a good population of mandarin ducks.

Mike

Both good Les. #2 is not only a good find in subject but it is perfectly sharp and the colours are absolutely wonderful.

Back