Another visit to Dunnottar Castle

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
Sky was looking interesting when i headed off but rubbish when i arrived :bonk: On the with sigma 10-20, hoya pro-1 circular polariser and 0.9 nd grad.

Here is the best of todays visit..

f38253d8.jpg

29e5bac2.jpg

e6d4c67e.jpg

Thanks for looking, please let me know what you think

Mike

Being picky, the bootprints detract from the castle which is too centred. Number two again is too centred and a bit flat. Mumber 3 is a cracker but the horizons off a wee bitty and the foreground could maybe be cropped a shade. Still a good set considering the conditions.

Being picky, the bootprints detract from the castle which is too centred. Number two again is too centred and a bit flat. Mumber 3 is a cracker but the horizons off a wee bitty and the foreground could maybe be cropped a shade. Still a good set considering the conditions.

Thanks for the crit, much appreciated. I am going to visit the castle lots over the next week and with the help of crits on here hopefully pull off a cracker, just wish the sky would come along and help me out.

Mumber 3 as you put it i actually straightened although i still got it wrong :confused:

3 is my favourite, nice sky and the opening in the rock leads the eye nicely to the castle

i would maybe have zoomed, or cropped some of the foreground out. leave enough to show the its there and make the castle a little more prominent.

all nice and sharp.

Al

have to say that number 3 does it for me, great compostion and love the leading lines that draw you to the castle. Good work

Paul

i cant add to whats been said i would have been pleased to have had them in my camera

thanks for the location...its near my sons so i'll visit next time i'm over ,looks very dramatic

1 for me!

3 is my favourite, nice sky and the opening in the rock leads the eye nicely to the castle

i would maybe have zoomed, or cropped some of the foreground out. leave enough to show the its there and make the castle a little more prominent.

all nice and sharp.

Al

Funny how this happens a lot, you crop resize and think how far can i go before the shot is ruined but it looks like i need to crop more foreground from 3 although i have already cropped about half what was there lol

have to say that number 3 does it for me, great compostion and love the leading lines that draw you to the castle. Good work

Paul

Thanks, i have decided 3 is the one for me when/if the sky finally gives in when i have the camera and gives me real dramatic sky, never went back yet as it is always just blue or white :bonk: I really want a dark scary erie sky to complement the castle but it just never happens at the right time and thats over a year now :bang:

i cant add to whats been said i would have been pleased to have had them in my camera

thanks for the location...its near my sons so i'll visit next time i'm over ,looks very dramatic

Glad to have shown you a great location to visit and thanks for your comment

1 for me!

Cheers, this was my fav initially but maybe go closer to the edge so it shows the sheer drop next time, it was very slippy i didnt brave getting any closer than i did, when shooting at 10-12mm it can be easy to walk off a cliff :LOL:

You could try a long exposure and get some movement in the sky/waves from the viewpoint in no1? Might inject a bit of drama into the sky for you? Looks like a cracking location and well worth exploring.

You could also try tipping the camera up a little more and including more of the sky. It might mean going when the weather is a bit manky or stormy but I think it would be worth getting soaked for :)

I've always thought one of the better views of the castle is not from the path but up on the cliff to the right hand side of the castle. (opposite side of the beach) May be worth a view.

It means following a sheep trail round the top of the cliffs so you're at the same level but on the right hand side. If you're lucky you might even get a few gulls in the picture.

Back