Any left handers out there?

Lynton

awkward customer
Name
Lynton (yes really!)
Edit My Images
No
Ok, I'm not (well I was but forced to change in 2nd yr of first school by the teacher who obviously thought i was the devil incarnate) however Mum is, and looking for some novelty different xmas gifts.

Stumbled upon a site called anything left handed, and within there some cooks knives, which are bevelled on the other side to a normal cooks knife and it intrigued me, especially the bread knife. Would it make any difference? She currently uses a std right handed one and cannot cut homemade bread straight for love nor money.....

Just wondering if any lefties use such things?

I'm a leftie:) strange as I may seem the only time my left is dominant is when writing, everything else I do as a right hander, ie cutting sewing etc. I can't for the life of me use a pair of scissors with my left hand. My mum was the same. I suppose I'm a bit ambidextrous really as I can write fairly well with my right hand too.

So in answer to your question, no I've never used any specific left handed implements.

I remember as a child a lad in my class who was left handed and had poor writing skills and was forced to use his right hand, fortunately my writing must have been ok :)

I'm left handed too we rock!.. 2 out of 3 of my children are as well.....

My parents said they grew up with me setting the table back to front for years and always called me cack handed and the devil etc ( they may be right there):D

Scissors iron kettle etc i use my right hand though, most other things i would say i automatically use my left

Camera i use my left eye too

I do wonder if we use our right hands for somethings because there wasn't left handed gadgets so we just had to adjust

I'm left handed, but don't use any special left handed stuff. I was bought some left handed mugs, but they sent right handed ones by accident, but I cope.

Many modern scissors have sculpted handles for holding in the right hand and those feel strange, but you can buy normal ambidextrous scissors which work just fine.

I can cut a loaf well enough with a normal bread knife.

I'm left handed, but like many others only write left handed while doing all other things right handed. I've never used any left handed items and would find them pretty strange tbh.

Cutting straight bread i can't do but i never thought to blame being left handed!

I will now!!:banana:

interesting replies.... I guess i too am ambidextrous to an extent but left side dominant... i use left eye in the viewfinder... I would play a racquet sport left handed, throw a ball (or anything) left handed, write right handed, play golf or something like cricket (if I played cricket) right handed..

I had the feeling some of the stuff is a bit gimmicky but can see how a left handed corkscrew would work.

I'm a leftie:) strange as I may seem the only time my left is dominant is when writing, everything else I do as a right hander, ie cutting sewing etc. I can't for the life of me use a pair of scissors with my left hand. My mum was the same. I suppose I'm a bit ambidextrous really as I can write fairly well with my right hand too.

So in answer to your question, no I've never used any specific left handed implements.

I remember as a child a lad in my class who was left handed and had poor writing skills and was forced to use his right hand, fortunately my writing must have been ok :)

Me too! I'm really only left handed for writing and watch wearing although the tests I've done over the years say I am definitely a lefty. Back in primary school I had a teacher stand over me and smack me with a ruler every time I tried to write with my left hand (try doing that to me now ya *$*&*!), as a result of that later on and in another school I was made to join a 'speshul' class because my handwriting was so bad. I spent my early school days being very self concious about my writing, nowadays I tell folk I wanted to be a doctor :LOL:

I've got a left handed cheque book, the stubby bit that remains in the book is on the other side of the cheque, makes everything much easier to fill in but I do virtually everything else right handed except playing snooker, which I do left handed, but I play every other sport right handed....

I've got a left handed cheque book, the stubby bit that remains in the book is on the other side of the cheque, makes everything much easier to fill in but I do virtually everything else right handed except playing snooker, which I do left handed, but I play every other sport right handed....

I don't have a cheque book but that was the one thing that i thought was perfect, as a leftie the stubs were a pain in the A

I find lefties quite sinister ;)

Another southpaw here. Writing, such as it is, left handed, scissors left handed etc. most things left handed, apart from cutlery.

The biggest issue I've had is in finding a choice of left handed guitars, some manufacturers don't make any left handed guitars at all.

Chris

I'm left handed.

Well, I write left handed. Scissors, tools etc I'm right handed. I figure mum taught me to write (she's lefty too) and dad taught me more technical stuff (he's righty).

Computer mouse I'm ambidextrous. In fact I can use two simultaneously.. :geek:

I'm left handed.

Well, I write left handed. Scissors, tools etc I'm right handed. I figure mum taught me to write (she's lefty too) and dad taught me more technical stuff (he's righty).

Computer mouse I'm ambidextrous. In fact I can use two simultaneously.. :geek:

No that's just damn greedy!!:LOL:

Me too! I'm really only left handed for writing and watch wearing although the tests I've done over the years say I am definitely a lefty. Back in primary school I had a teacher stand over me and smack me with a ruler every time I tried to write with my left hand (try doing that to me now ya *$*&*!), as a result of that later on and in another school I was made to join a 'speshul' class because my handwriting was so bad. I spent my early school days being very self concious about my writing, nowadays I tell folk I wanted to be a doctor :LOL:

It would appear that we went to similar schools! I can remember clearly this young lad being hit over the back of the head each time he used his left hand...I hated that bloody teacher.

The cheque book would definitely have been helpful, wonder why I never asked for one? Was going to say I never write cheques now but I've only just written one to National Geographic.

Computer mouse I use left handed too. Apparently left handed folk are considered to have a brain defect....cheek.

I find lefties quite sinister ;)

Mind if I was to punch someone it would be a right hook :boxer:

I'm a mixture, wear a watch on my right, write with my right, and hold a fork in my right and knife in my left. I have never understood why people hold a fork in the left hand and a knife in their right hand, yet if they are only using a fork they then swap it to their right hand.:shrug: There is no way I could use a fork in my left hand without causing a serious injury to my face.

Scissors are the one one thing I do find a pain being a leftie. I too had my knuckles rapped for writing with my left hand.

The computer mouse I use right handed. I think that stems from them always being on the right hand side when we first started using them.

Cutting bread I can do straight. Freehand cutting of wood not so good.

for the first 21 years of my life i was naturally right handed but an accident at work took most of my right hand away so you could say i have been left handed ever since ( over 30 years ) and i think the best thing out there for lefties is a good quality pair left handed scissors
right handed ones are a pain to use

i was told shortly after the accident that re learning with you left hand if you are naturally right handed could cause a stammer or stutter but i don't think i have one it was learning to write with your other hand which was most likely to cause one for some reason
some things i have never learned to do one was using a hammer left handed i never got the hang of that or using a racket , bat or throwing it's just not the same to a point it frustrated me that much i do non of it and havn't for years

i still have use of my right hand because most of my thumb is intact but it's mainly grip there's no dexterity so to speak and after 30 years i can't even remember what having full use is like

My daughter is left handed, but can do most things - apart from writing - comfortably with her right hand, so I suppose she's become fairly ambidextrous to cope with a right handed world. I don't think she gives it a second thought.

Another left handed person here who uses LH scissors.
Power tools are a pain - for example, my drills all have a reverse button just where it shouldn't be, so when I grip the handle I switch it to reverse or lock.
A LH cheque book and spiral bound notebook would be good things to have.
Cutting bread - I have no problems with that, but a LH ink pen, such as was forced upon me at school is a nightmare !

My youngest son is the only one in our family that is left handed, he doesn't have a problem with anything that I'm aware of.
There are 8 of us currently on a retraining course at work and 6 of the 8 are left handed. Some of the tools we have had to use they have expressed a bit of difficulty, but where we have been working on the cars being left handed has enabled them to get at parts in more awkward places than the two of us that are right handed.

I write left handed and throw a ball left handed but would hit a ball right handed.

I'm another who was forced at school into using my right hand. Which means my hand writing is equally bad left or right handed. Most other things I have a preference for left.

I was born a leftie but forced to change when I was young :mad: so am now right handed but still do lots of things left handed - painting, gardening etc. until my mid-20s I could also write using either hand. I don't use my left anymore so am very much out of practice.

Going back to the OP, my son is left handed and he only benefits from left handed scissors.

We were encouraged to use fountain pens at school. Not sure entirely why as kids and ink pens means a lot of splats and splashes, but writing with a fountain pen when left handed, with the paper in the traditional position on the desk usually means in a blue smear on the paper and a matching side of your hand. You either have to adapt a peculiar pen holding position or move the paper round so your palm doesn't rub over the wet ink.

I've always had weird hand habits, - my brother and I are both ambidextrous, however accidents for us both have made us both more right handed....well him more right handed and me just wonkier haha

Leftie bread knives are pretty cool - Dad's had his for 30ish years now. I have a leftie fork/knife combination gadget (for people with limited dexterity) and I haven't been able to use a knife and fork combo for about 8 years now. I use my right hand for writing usually, and for eating - but also for my main weightbearing stick/stick if I'm able to just use one, as well as steering with my wheelchair - always the right hand - holding my little girl, I instinctively go for my left hand/arm. I got told not to write with my left hand a lot at little school though. At secondary school it wasn't ever questioned except by my peers "eee!! Look at her! She put her pen down and started writing with the other hand!" style a couple of times in year 7. Lucky escape in comparison to horror stories above!

We were encouraged to use fountain pens at school. Not sure entirely why as kids and ink pens means a lot of splats and splashes, but writing with a fountain pen when left handed, with the paper in the traditional position on the desk usually means in a blue smear on the paper and a matching side of your hand. You either have to adapt a peculiar pen holding position or move the paper round so your palm doesn't rub over the wet ink.

It was a lot more fun with the old fashioned pens. You could dip the blotting paper in the inkwell, make pellets out of it and 'fire' them at people sitting in front of you with a ruler......................

I'm predominantly left handed, same as you Lynton where school's concerned only Mum caught on to what they were trying to do and told them to leave me alone :LOL:

I use scissors, computer mouse and eat right handed, if I ever play football I kick with my right foot for power but can use either to pass.

Racket sports is a lottery, I tend to play different shots with a certain hand... confused the hell out of a tennis coach when I was about 8 :LOL:

They tried to make me write right handed when I was about 6 or 7, then complained that my writing was bad. I told them that it was their fault my writing had suddenly turned to sh*te, (probably not in those words) and they left me alone after that.

Although I write, throw, saw and cut with my left hand, for most other things I've adapted to right handed implements. Using a mouse is ok because I can have the mouse on my right and a notepad on the left of the keyboard which is quite handy.

I'm predominantly left handed, same as you Lynton where school's concerned only Mum caught on to what they were trying to do and told them to leave me alone :LOL:

I use scissors, computer mouse and eat right handed, if I ever play football I kick with my right foot for power but can use either to pass.

Racket sports is a lottery, I tend to play different shots with a certain hand... confused the hell out of a tennis coach when I was about 8 :LOL:

I'm exactly the same used to play tennis, serve with my left hand then carry on with my right. Cannot cut anything with scissors for love nor money with my left hand. :thinking:

Last edited:
Another leftie here.
I write and use mouse left handed along with the iron and hand tools, racquets etc.
Use scissors in /LH but am cr4p with them.
For golf I stand with my left shoulder pointing up the fairway which I think is how R/H do it. Not that I play golf, just tried a few times.
For camera and aiming a rifle I use my right eye and rifle butt in right shoulder. For a pistol Id use left hand.
Cant kick a ball with left or right.
Tried to learn guitar once and did the neck with my L/H and the strumming with my right which may have been the worng way round. Couldnt do it anyway.

Scissors are a problem for us sinistra for two reasons.

Many scissors these days have moulded handles suitable for right handed people. Using them in your left hand is uncomfortable, leading to a lack of precision.

Secondly, if you can find scissors which don't have sculpted handles, the scissor blades are designed to be viewed when held in the right hand, but when moving to the left hand, your view of the cutting edge is obscured by the width of the blade, leading to further inaccuracies.

Now, how many people have rummaged around to find a pair of scissors to check...

I write and throw left handed, everything else I do right handed.

Seems there's a lot more people than I thought that use a mixture of both!

Another Leftie, predominantly so.
In our family had 2 LH and 2 RH bread was never cut straight and slant depended on hand of last person cutting it.
Find most sports to have slight advantage of being left handed, due the confusion in causes in opponents but 2 have never got on with are golf (never any L clubs at turn up and play facilities) and Hockey can not be played LH to my knowledge.

Re gadgets scissors are a problem so LH would be good another thing that can sometimes cause me problems is tin openers though more seem to be pulling on a ring something else that might give problems with age. Never and problem with knives if used from new, I think use can put a different edge to them thou.

Find most sports to have slight advantage of being left handed, due the confusion in causes in opponents

Found that a lot with cricket. I bat/bowl left handed, most bowlers hate bowling at "lefties" (and that's the politest I've been called on a cricket field) and most batsmen aren't comfortable facing a left arm seamer (well actuall make that most of the current England team although Johnson is a little bit quicker than me ;) :LOL: )

I used to hate bowling against lefties myself though, they just didn't look right when you were running in :LOL:

Back