Any Military Experts on here?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, I decided to start researching my family tree last week, and came across a picture of my grandad from WWII that I had not seen before. There is no one I know in the family still living who would know anything about it.

I do not know what branch of the armed services he was in, but from the uniform I assume the Army. Does anyone recognise the regiment?
Thomas Collins 1911 - 1974 edit.jpg

His Cap badge is Royal Artillery. You can research your Grandads service through several means but this link:

will provide an excellent starting point.

Good luck in your search.
Thanks for that link.....

My dad was in the RA in WW2 as a Bren Gunner, he was captured when Crete was 'taken' so spent most of the war as a PoW.

Last time I tried digging I ran out of steam......so a timely reminder that I would still like some more info than I currently am aware of!

Thanks for that link.....

My dad was in the RA in WW2 as a Bren Gunner, he was captured when Crete was 'taken' so spent most of the war as a PoW.

Last time I tried digging I ran out of steam......so a timely reminder that I would still like some more info than I currently am aware of!
My pleasure. Lets hope that your dealings with the "Long Range Snipers" is successful!

My eldest son and I have done several battlefield visits to Crete, military wise it was an unbelievable campaign.

My pleasure. Lets hope that your dealings with the "Long Range Snipers" is successful!

My eldest son and I have done several battlefield visits to Crete, military wise it was an unbelievable campaign.
I have never done much digging into the Crete campaign....but back in the 60 or 70' s we knew an author who wanted to write about it re: personal experiences and the other person the author knew of was an officer.........who clearly had his own perspectives. For whatever reason AFAIK the book was never written.

In common with many of my dads generation, he was reserved about his wartime experiences but what little he told us of them it was full of the best & worst of humanity.
A funny anecdote I recall was about the Bren gun ammunition (they were on on airfield protection duty), at one time they had to lend the ammo to another section so he and his colleagues had none should there be a need to such defense!

PS I am unfamiliar with your reference to "Long Range Snipers" ???

Last edited:
In the military the Royal Artillery are affectionately known as the 'Long Range Snipers,' as they (mostly) fire their guns at targets from a distance. In much the same way, the Royal Signals are known as 'Bleeps'!

Major Tim Saunders wrote an excellent book, 'Crete, The Airborne Invasion 1941' which provides a superb account of the campaign as did Antony Beevor.

We have studied the Crete campaign from the UK, Commonwealth and German perspectives and it is a fascinating place to visit and reflect on the bravery of all sides.

Nice to see such good advice;)

My older brother spent a short but exciting time at the Suez crisis.
My time was spent in and around Europe.
We both wore Gunner cap badges for most, but not all, of our careers.
My father in law was a Gunner with wartime horses.
My own father was in the navy minesweeping....but only ever met him once.....that's a sailor for you;)
Been called many names but 'Arty' is new to me......must be a modern nick name!

Back