Any Panasonic DMC-FZ28 owners here please?

Edit My Images
Yes
After much research and deliberation, I think this is going to be the camera for me. Its only £230 from Comet at the moment too.

Before I get the card out, are there any owners here who can post some pictures please taken with this camera that are unaltered and on auto.

This would be very much appreciated if anyone could do this.

Thanks,

Gary.

Hi... I found that one before and it was the one that sent me over towards the FZ28 (y)

Was just looking for some more unaltered pictures if possible.

Most of the shots on the Flickr group have been processed further in photoshop or something, so they look stunning but not a true reflection (for me).

I have ordered the camera from Panasonic eshop for £224.49 delivered :)

Just use voucher XFNH50VM at the checkout for £25% discount.

Also ordered a bag and 4GB card from Amazon.

Lets hope when I go to Chester Zoo its a nice sunny day.

I knew this would happen.

The FZ38 is coming out in Sept :(

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_fz38_review/

According to this review it says in the conclusion that if you already have a FZ28 then the new model doesn`t have enough improvements to make the step up worthwhile, it will be twice the money that you can pick up an FZ28 for and at around £400 + i would prefer to go full DSLR for that kind of money. You can`t really go wrong with an FZ28 at just over £200 compared to what the new model will cost.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2009/07/28/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ38/p3

As I have not got the FZ28 yet, for me it would seem silly to go ahead and keep it when it arrives. So I have made my mind up to return it as soon as it arrives this week.

Might as well have latest next best thing and its now on the Panasonic eShop @ £322.99 with an Aug 11th release date :) If (and its a big if) the 25% off code still works then, it would be just under £250 delivered. But I bet you anything the code stops working at the end of this month.

Its quite a bit extra to spend on not much of an improvement if the code doesn`t work, i agree though that if you can get the code to work then at around £250 its a good buy, without the code its a bit expensive considering what you can get an FZ28 for.

I fully understand where you are coming from on this.

If I had already received the FZ28 (and started using it) then it would certainly have been tough luck on my part. But as its only just been despatched, like I say, with a new model out, it seems silly opening it and keeping it.

I like the iA feature on Panasonic cameras, which is very appealing to me, as I am not looking to go down the DSLR route.

The FZ38 does have some improvements over the FZ28, not earth shattering, but still there. Also the HD video recording might come in use, albeit not full HD.

Will just have to see if the code still works come Aug 11th. The FZ28 is still only £229.99 at Comet and I would expect the price to drop slightly as the FZ38 starts to hit the shops. However Amazon still have it at £299.99 :eek:

You have given me a conundrum now Gaz lol, if that code was guarenteed to work on August 11th i wouldn`t hesitate myself mainly for the stereo sound on the video side and for the other slight improvements as it would be worth it at a hugely discounted price.

The only dissapointing thing for me with the FZ38 is the zoom has remained at X18, Canon have a X20 model, Panasonic should have at least matched that or bettered it considering its a new model and i also think they should have gone for a pull out LCD like the canon equivelant below

Canon_Powershot_SX1IS_1.jpg

This may not help you much but I got started with an FZ18, the fore-runner of the FZ28. It was a great little camera and the only "problem" was that it took me to the start of the costly and cumbersome trail known as DSLR. You might do the same.

18x optical zoom was the big inducement for me and it was an easy camera on which to step away from full iA. Digital zoom beyong 18x ultimately gave compromised image quality and once I'd seen the results I probably backed away from it.

I guess the performance upgrades from the 38 to the 28 will be akin to those between the 28 and the 18 - marginal utility issues.

I'd say a great little camera: I sometimes regret walking away from the simplicity and compactness of it.

my sister bought a fz28 last week and its a great camera , some of her pictures are stunning

the only thing i didn't like was the electronic viewfinder

You have given me a conundrum now Gaz lol, if that code was guarenteed to work on August 11th i wouldn`t hesitate myself mainly for the stereo sound on the video side and for the other slight improvements as it would be worth it at a hugely discounted price.

The only dissapointing thing for me with the FZ38 is the zoom has remained at X18, Canon have a X20 model, Panasonic should have at least matched that or bettered it considering its a new model and i also think they should have gone for a pull out LCD like the canon equivelant below
I have a sneaky feeling that it will expire at the end of this month. But they do seem to keep releasing them. When I had a Panny BD55 I used one of their 25% off codes that was doing the rounds. Ended up getting it £50 cheaper than anywhere else.

The thing with the Canon is that its £399.99, so you are talking a lot more money and I just don't like the idea of it using 4 x AA batteries :thumbsdown:

I just don't like the idea of it using 4 x AA batteries :thumbsdown:

Thats the exact reason why i chose the Panasonic, from the reviews their doesn`t seem to be a lot between the 2 cameras so i chose the FZ28 as i didn`t want to be fiddling about with a load of AA batteries on th Canon.

If the Canon had been a normal lithium battery i would probably have chosen that as it has the better LCD screen, image wise though from what ive seen the Lumix range seem excellent and great value at the price compared to the Canon.

The SX1 IS does not seem to get as good a review as the Panasonic either. Just taking the FZ28 to the Post Office to go back to Panasonic (y)

My FZ28 that i bought arrived this morning, ive just taken it out of the box and had a quick look at it.

My first impressions of the camera is that its very small, it feels very light and plasticy but then again i`m used to a full size DSLR as my last camera was a 40D and this had an alloy body, i guess this is how bridge cameras and compacts are in general. The LCD screen is very good, the weather is poor here at the min so i can`t really take any pics to comment on the image quality side of things.

I wish we could still get stock of the FZ28, its such a great camera and a good seller.

The FZ38 arrives next month at £319 so lets hope is just as popular.

Enjoy the camera Subaru

I wish we could still get stock of the FZ28, its such a great camera and a good seller.

The FZ38 arrives next month at £319 so lets hope is just as popular.

Enjoy the camera Subaru

Like Gazza, i did a lot of research on the net about compacts and bridge cameras and the FZ28 always seemed to get great reviews. I`m sure its going to be an excellent camera for my needs which is just to take a few pics for ebay now and then if i`m selling something and for general use, a DSLR was overkill for what i needed.

Thanks DigitalDepot, i`m sure i`ll enjoy the camera.

Do you know a reputable place where i can get a genuine 2nd battery from, whats the part number for the battery for the FZ28 ?

Panasonic are being very cautious now about the batteries. They have now put firmware on the new TZ cameras so you can only use Panasonic batteries. This is becuase of all the batteries coming out of China that are not insulated and protected.

I think the Panasonic partnumber is a CGA-006. We sell these at £24.99 but as a TP member I could off you a discount. Let me know if you are interested by PM.

Stuart

Ive decided to keep the FZ28 that ive just bought as the Panasonic 25% off voucher apparently runs out on the 1st August before the FZ38 is released on the 11th August.

I don`t think their is enough of an upgrade on the FZ38 to justify spending over £300 on it, like i was saying above its dissapointing that the zoom has remained at X18 as Panasonic have missed a trick here to get ahead of the equivelant Canon that has a zoom range of X20, also they should have looked into having a flip LCD screen like the Canon.

I just couldn`t justify the price of the new model for the minimal upgrades it brings, if the 25% off voucher would have worked then fair enough it would have been worth it but it seems to run out on the 1st August.

The price does not really bother me that much, if the voucher works then excellent. For me it was a nerdy thing about having the best one available to me.

Knowing how I am with swapping and changing things, there was no way I could keep the FZ28 with the FZ38 coming out in such a short space of time.

If I had already receive it and used before the announcement, then I would be keeping it. But as it happened it was the other way round. It would have really annoyed though if I had been using it and then found out about the new model, but that's just how I am with things.

Looking forward to seeing some of your pictures.

Looking forward to seeing some of your pictures.

Judging by the weather at the min that could be a while off yet lol, it aint stopped raining since the camera arrived which is usually the way when you want to test something out (y)

For some bizarre reason a few retailers selling the FZ28 have whacked the price up now.

For some bizarre reason a few retailers selling the FZ28 have whacked the price up now.

If demand is high which it must be at the min and stock is low then it makes sense to put the prices up, their will be a lot of people that don`t fancy paying over £300 for the new FZ38 given that it has minimal upgrades hence they are snapping up the FZ28.

I have gone off the FZ28/38 for now after doing lots of comparisons over at Imaging Resource. So back to square one for me :(

Hi guys, I'm a complete noob to photography and I'm looking for a decent super-zoom which I can use for the next year or so to learn all the basics but still be able to take good quality photos. From all the reviews I've read it seems that Panasonic DMC-FZ38 and Canon SX1 IS and SX10 IS stand out of the crowd.

Currently I can get a Canon SX10 IS and a Panny DMC-FZ38 for roughly the same price, both new. Which would you recommend I buy? :help:

I bought a Panasonic FZ18 from ebay last week and it turned out the seller lived just down the road from me, so she dropped it in to my work the next morning and I paid cash. Lovely :)

Its a great little camera, really good build quality pretty much all around and the image quality is as good as you could want from a camera of that size. Whatever you get, I very much doubt you'll end up regretting it and I wouldn't listen too much to the little nit-picks that reviewers may have with certain cameras, especially if it is your first proper camera. I'd also strongly recommend looking into second hand stuff so that you have money left over for gear - there's no way I would've paid the £300+ asking price for the FZ38 when I coul get the FZ18 in perfect condition with 3 batteries, 2 4GB SD cards, a case and a polarizer filter for £180.

Thanks RiCousins, I have thought about getting the FZ28 which is just a little cheaper but the FZ38 does have 12MP and the new Venus V processor. Bestcameras are doing it for £289 including 2gb card,case and mini tripod (see link below). At first I though they are one of those dodgy on-line scam companies but they seem legit as they have been registered with Companies House since 1983.

http://www.bestcameras.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_FZ38_1481.html

Back