Anyone done sport/football in fog?

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Hi Kipax

looks like you did well in difficult conditions. I must admit it is one of my favourite times to shoot football. I know it sounds strange but you get some really different images.

See 2nd half of http://8by10.zenfolio.com/p398047786 for some examples.

Anyhow, the mist/fog diffuses the lights beautifully so you end up with a mainly soft white background. In clear conditions I usually meter off the grass (approx. 18% grey) and this will typically give me my settings within a 1/3 of a stop. In heavy mist/fog your meter is all but useless until you meter off the fog itself (find a dense patch). This will give you an exposure reading which is about 1 stop to 1 1/2 stops under exposed (typically 1 stop). So, meter off the fog and add a stop to the metered exposure (adjust to taste) and you are good to go.

John

Last edited:
Yeagh I always meter off the grass but it seemed a no-no on saturday... I was over exposing.. had the iso right up.. everyhting was off no matter what i did :(

Those few that worked in mine.. there where twice as many that just didnt ..

haha you ahve some good ones there... some of the players running out of the fog :) you got loads and some good atmospheric ones..

I had a lot more but only publish the ones that would make the newspaper or the club program... and only a few made that grade.... quite dissapointed really.. took me by suprise.. will know better next time ...ta:)

I must admit that only about 15 %to 20% of those I put on-line are really up to the standard I would want and are suitable for the programme and editorial use. Overall I would say about 1% are shots I think meet a higher standard and that I look at and pat myself on the back.

I have a good excuse though :) I am involved in a 2 season project with the club to document the club and matches (from under 8s to seniors including ladies and young ladies). It does mean that I publish images that reflect a moment for the club or a player. The down side of this is that it dilutes the real meat of the work. It is my intention to go through about 30 000 images in summer next year and hand pick the ones that make the grade. These will then be incorporated in a book for the club. I have to say that overall it has been great to do but you do sometimes wonder what the hell you are playing at when you can't feel your fingers because of the cold and its snowing or raining. A labour of labour is how I sometimes see it :)

John

I started my site as a documentation of the games I went to.. I put pics on no matter what quality so long as they showed a moment... A poor mans MOTD because you wouldnt get telly at non league games.. So I took pics of everyhting and showed them... It was also like a ground guide as well as something for the none attending could see.

Its changed over the years and due to online sales.. I started only uploading pics that would print 7x5 minimum.. and now I get other enquieries for pics.. magazines or companies as well as sales... so now all my pics have to print A4 .. If they dont then they get dumped... All the old ones still on site.. But all the ones I ahve put onsite from summer this year will print A4 ... unless night matches or indoor... then its 7x5 m,inimum

Excellent photos. Not easy taking in such conditions.

I've been a supporter at football matches where it's been foggy and it's been hard to see what's going on!

What a gorgeous blonde lady in the pictures!

I have and it's a nightmare. I had some nice visions of having the rugby players running out of the fog towards me but it didn't quite work :LOL:

Only last Saturday

3068009577_4994a613b3.jpg

Back