Anyone got a Ricoh GR then?

Name
Ron
Edit My Images
No
For some reason this camera is really appealing to me, on paper at least. I've um-d and ah-d about a Fuji X100s but I want something smaller, plus 28mm appeals to me more than 35mm does. Already have an X10 and XZ1, but don't really find either to be pocketable.

I've done a quick search on the forums but am getting the impression this is not a popular camera here! If there is anybody out there, care to share some insight? :)

The Ricoh GR series of camera's seems to be very niche. Athough they are not really any more niche than a Fuji X100 then just never got the same appeal (maybe the utilitarian looks don't help)
Also doesn't help that I have never seen a GR of any kind in a shop so not sure if Ricoh really market it in the UK?
I suspect it will go largely ignored and those people where it fits their requirements will love it while most people will be asking "GR what now"

The Ricoh GR series of camera's seems to be very niche. Athough they are not really any more niche than a Fuji X100 then just never got the same appeal (maybe the utilitarian looks don't help)
Also doesn't help that I have never seen a GR of any kind in a shop so not sure if Ricoh really market it in the UK?
I suspect it will go largely ignored and those people where it fits their requirements will love it while most people will be asking "GR what now"
True, although it's being touted as a direct competitor to the Nikon A, I reckon much of peoples knowledge of the Ricoh will come from Nikon A reviews mentoning it!

Also a very good point about never seeing a Ricoh in a shop, neither have I... Hmmm. Also makes me wonder if the used values will immediately drop through the floor, but the older Ricoh cameras seem to have something of a cult following.

The same probably applies to the Nikon A, do many people have one of those?

I believe it is a case of Fuji just getting it very right aesthetically when they designed the X100 and other camera manufacturers maybe underestimating the sales that come from nice looking camera designs (SLRs are clearly exempt here as they are all as ugly as sin :) )

The same probably applies to the Nikon A, do many people have one of those?

I believe it is a case of Fuji just getting it very right aesthetically when they designed the X100 and other camera manufacturers maybe underestimating the sales that come from nice looking camera designs (SLRs are clearly exempt here as they are all as ugly as sin :) )
Tis a fair point, I've had a good few folks comment on the looks of even my wee X10 (most common question: is that a film camera?). I'm reluctant to take a punt on the Ricoh without hearing from a few normal people, quite a few users on the 'Murican forums come across like foam-mouthed fanboys who'll hear nothing bad about their precious GR or Nikon A...

Also I'm in the "meh" camp when it comes to a viewfinder, which I'm aware is like swearing to some folks. Maybe I need to try an X100s to see what I'm missing :)

I was pondering over the same cameras recently. I really like the Ricoh, at least going by all the reviews I've read and videos watched - I have never actually used one. There's not a decent camera store within an hour of here, so I'd have to travel just to look.

In the end I decided to go for the Fuji X100s, for a few reasons. The VF - I like that it's a hybrid, with one flick you can switch between OVF and EVF and both work well. The lens, it's a bit brighter at f/2 than the Ricoh's 2.8 max. It's also not as wide a lens. It's 23mm Vs 18mm on the ricoh. I like that it has a little more reach, I don't shoot very wide often on the Dslr, and love 35mm on FX - the fuji lens is the equivalent of that. You can get a lens adapter to make it wider if needed. Obviously that's more expense, but you don't have to.

And the main reason - the Fuji handles low lighting better, and gives clean, excellent quality files right up to ISO 6400. It's faster to focus, once you have it set to high performance mode, and doesn't hunt as much as the others - going on the tests I've seen.

It is a lot pricier though. And that will be the turn off for most. The Ricoh is cracking value, and I would say a better option that the older X100. But the S seems to beat it in most departments. And will probably hold it's value for longer.

I was pondering over the same cameras recently. I really like the Ricoh, at least going by all the reviews I've read and videos watched - I have never actually used one. There's not a decent camera store within an hour of here, so I'd have to travel just to look.

In the end I decided to go for the Fuji X100s, for a few reasons. The VF - I like that it's a hybrid, with one flick you can switch between OVF and EVF and both work well. The lens, it's a bit brighter at f/2 than the Ricoh's 2.8 max. It's also not as wide a lens. It's 23mm Vs 18mm on the ricoh. I like that it has a little more reach, I don't shoot very wide often on the Dslr, and love 35mm on FX - the fuji lens is the equivalent of that. You can get a lens adapter to make it wider if needed. Obviously that's more expense, but you don't have to.

And the main reason - the Fuji handles low lighting better, and gives clean, excellent quality files right up to ISO 6400. It's faster to focus, once you have it set to high performance mode, and doesn't hunt as much as the others - going on the tests I've seen.

It is a lot pricier though. And that will be the turn off for most. The Ricoh is cracking value, and I would say a better option that the older X100. But the S seems to beat it in most departments. And will probably hold it's value for longer.
I love the idea of the X100s, but I'm really after something pocketable, so in reality the likes of the Nikon A and maybe even the Sony RX100 are more realistic rivals. The images I've seen from the X100s are pretty stunning, and I love the JPG output from Fuji.

It's a good point about holding value, I wouldn't want to commit to the Ricoh unless I was positive it was right for me and I was prepared to hold onto it for a long long time. But given the lack of availability, it's a lot of money to spend on something I wouldn't even get to try. Could always go down the Amazon route and return it if I don't get on, but that seems somehow ruthless.

Would think the RX100 would be a safe bet for holding value. I would imagine Nikon A hold value as well as the Nikon 1 stuff and issue with Ricoh may be lack of buyers if you wanted to sell it. These are all in similar category to something like the Sigma DP, and leaves you thinking who pays full price for these things.

Would think the RX100 would be a safe bet for holding value. I would imagine Nikon A hold value as well as the Nikon 1 stuff and issue with Ricoh may be lack of buyers if you wanted to sell it. These are all in similar category to something like the Sigma DP, and leaves you thinking who pays full price for these things.
I didn't even realise Sigma made compacts until I looked at a few group tests with the Ricoh... :bonk: Certainly don't think I've spotted any in the classifieds on here.

I don't think I'm confident enough to buy niche gear :D Might just stick with the X10 and see what happens with the others, if the Ricoh were to drop by a hundred quid I could be tempted. Hmmm...

Niche gear is great if you are the one buying it used. I had a Sigma DP1 a few years back that I got for just over £100. Could say it was ahead of it's time with an APS-C sized sensor, fixed lens etc,. in a smallish body. Unfortunately it ran like a dog!

And yes, if the Ricoh dropped to £300-400 it would be great as the GR is still the best compact I have used for functionality.

Niche gear is great if you are the one buying it used. I had a Sigma DP1 a few years back that I got for just over £100. Could say it was ahead of it's time with an APS-C sized sensor, fixed lens etc,. in a smallish body. Unfortunately it ran like a dog!

And yes, if the Ricoh dropped to £300-400 it would be great as the GR is still the best compact I have used for functionality.

Gaaaah I hadn't realised there's been a whole series of GR's... :bonk: Just when you think you have a grasp on photography hardware, along comes niche kit! I'd probably feel like a hipster if I bought one :D

The RX100 is an easy sell on camera, if you wanted to try that for best value. It delivers cracking images considering it's size, and price I would say. But one of the things I didn't like was it's petite-ness. Even after adding a rubber grip I still felt like it would easily slip out of my hand when free-holding. I don't like straps with compacts, they just get in the way. I'll use one when in busy areas, but at home, out and about in the garden or anywhere local, either a simple wrist strap or none at all.

I sold it on for exactly what I paid for it, well, I threw in the grip and an old lowepro case I had lying about. Buyer was happy, even though the body was a bit scratched up.

The RX100 is an easy sell on camera, if you wanted to try that for best value. It delivers cracking images considering it's size, and price I would say. But one of the things I didn't like was it's petite-ness. Even after adding a rubber grip I still felt like it would easily slip out of my hand when free-holding. I don't like straps with compacts, they just get in the way. I'll use one when in busy areas, but at home, out and about in the garden or anywhere local, either a simple wrist strap or none at all.

I sold it on for exactly what I paid for it, well, I threw in the grip and an old lowepro case I had lying about. Buyer was happy, even though the body was a bit scratched up.
It's interesting, I might grab a used one. I feel like I'm working my way through the world of compacts, the X10 and XZ1 both have features I really like, but the X10 with its weirdy sensor tricks is still my go-to when out and about, but it's just a tiny bit bulky. Having looked at the Sony on DPR it looks incredibly small indeed compared with the other two.

Know what you mean about straps, I've yet to find the right combination of wrist strap, case etc for smaller cameras, but I've just recently invested in a Blackrapid SnapR 20 case/strap for the X10. Expensive (bloody expensive actually!), but so far it's working well (I use a Blackrapid with my SLR so it's quite a familiar system). It's ironically probably too big for the RX100 (although I believe a slightly smaller one is available) but it holds the X10 (just) plus lens adaptor and CPL in the side pockets. Oh, and it comes with a clip on wrist strap so you don't have to take the tripod connector off all the time... handy :)

I had an X10 before switching for the RX100. Bought it on here, you should keep an eye on the classifieds. It's a nice camera, but I really bought it for the missus, she wanted something more pocketable for gigs - so I sold it on and bought the RX100. She's had that for months, and wasn't using it, so I sold it and got me an X100s :D If she's not going to use something I'll not see it wasted.

I haven't got a GR yet since a) I have a 18/2 for my X-Pro 1 (but the GR's lens is probably better) and b) a GRDIII for my compact camera needs. The GR's have perfect controls for a compact camera, almost everything can be adjusted with one hand.

I had an X10 before switching for the RX100. Bought it on here, you should keep an eye on the classifieds. It's a nice camera, but I really bought it for the missus, she wanted something more pocketable for gigs - so I sold it on and bought the RX100. She's had that for months, and wasn't using it, so I sold it and got me an X100s :D If she's not going to use something I'll not see it wasted.

Definitely going to keep an eye on the classifieds for an RX100, am also looking at reviews for the X100 (not S's) and getting very tempted to try one of those too. Again will probably look for a used one.

I haven't got a GR yet since a) I have a 18/2 for my X-Pro 1 (but the GR's lens is probably better) and b) a GRDIII for my compact camera needs. The GR's have perfect controls for a compact camera, almost everything can be adjusted with one hand.

This is what I keep reading about Ricoh's, and I'm a sucker for good ergonomics on a camera. Unfortunately my nearest dealer is in Perth, which is a long trip for a play around with something I might not buy!

On a different note, is it pronounced "ree-koh" or "rye-koh"?! Or something completely different? :thinking:

I've had my GR exactly a month now ( http://www.boliston.com/2013/05/23/testing-the-ricoh-gr/ ) and definitely like it.

I had the GRD IV prior to this and the GR seems a lot better generally.

I notice dpreview have compared it with the Nikon A and the GR lens seems a lot better for clarity in the samples they have posted http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ricoh-gr/7

I like the way it simply goes in my pocket when I'm not using it so have never bothered with any sort of strap, I just make sure my right hand jeans pocket is kept clear of anything else (phone, wallet etc). I find that a strap just gets in the way when using such a tiny camera.

It seems to give files that convert well to B&W, but I'd imagine that the target audience for this camera would mainly want B&W rather than colour.

On paper, I like the GR a lot.

A few years ago, when it first came out, I bought the original GRD, I loved the look, feel and external controls, but didn't like the poor shot to shot times shooting raw, and found noise too intrusive even at lower ISO.

It seems as though the new GR has resolved those issues, and I love the thought of having an APS sensor in a small discreet body.

I'm going to London in a couple of weeks so I'm hoping to track one down and have some hands on time with one.

Well, predictably I ended up with Fuji X100 :bonk:

Just didn't have to spuds to take the plunge on the Ricoh without being able to spend some time playing with one, but if the price of the Ricoh drops to £400, I'll be on it! Fat chance tho :thinking:

X100 or S?

Either way you'll love it.
Just went for a standard one, it's a quirky thing and I've yet to get out with it, but it seems impressive so far, especially the controls and VF. I've got an X10 too and feel no need to upgrade to the X20, so am hoping both are keepers!

Have recently 'acquired' a GR. I couldn't possibly have bought it because my wife will kill me if she discovered I had. So, acquired it is.

It's very nice. Very, very nice. Smaller than I imagined. Pocketable if you've got large pockets. Infinitely customisable by the looks of things. Love the snap focus and TAv mode. Had long considered a X100 and more recently the X100s and Coolpix A - but the GR ticked all the right boxes for me.

Will post some pictures soon.

I bought the Wide Angle Converter for the X100 LBE.

The Fuji WCL-X100 Wide-Angle Conversion Lens for X100 Camera attaches directly on to*the camera and increases picture taking versatility by multiplying the fixed focal length by 0.8x, converting it from 23mm (35mm in 35mm equivalent) fixed focal length to a 19mm wide angle (28mm in 35mm equivalent). The WCL-X100 has been engineered to ensure a seamless blend with the Fujifilm X100’s and its impressive optical quality remains intact. The WCL-X100 features a 49mm filter thread. *

Regards.

Last edited:
Dusting off an old thread here . . . .

Purchased a GR this week and I'm amazed at it. The image quality is fantastic, together with the best menu system and controls I think I've ever used.

I guess not many GR owners out there :)

I know a couple of people that own one (more than one model of the series in one case) and they enjoy them a lot. An optical VF mounted on top is a recommended accessory.

Recently sold my virtually 'as new' GR1s for £55. Loved it and should have held onto it. Great camera.

No idea what the older models were like, £55 seems cheap.

I know a couple of people that own one (more than one model of the series in one case) and they enjoy them a lot. An optical VF mounted on top is a recommended accessory.

I'm really impressed so far, I was considering the optical VF

This is one of the first shots I took, taken wide open at f/2.8.

11137199583_8dc3386c12_c.jpg

I love mine. Ergonomics are fantastic. Of all the cameras I've used, it's only the Ricohs that have stuck. The GR sits next to a GRD and GR1s.

Yea I should have held onto it, it was lying spare in an upstairs drawer collecting dust. Probably could have got a lot more money for it but I let it go cheap.

You live and learn.

I love mine. Ergonomics are fantastic. Of all the cameras I've used, it's only the Ricohs that have stuck. The GR sits next to a GRD and GR1s.

I'm so impressed, that if I was in the market for a DSLR I'd probably give the Pentax/Ricoh K-3 a go

Ricoh GR's are brilliant. I have the GRD IV which has blown me away and I am now saving for the GR (don't tell the missus!)

Honestly, though, the images you can squeeze out of these cameras is stupidly impressive. The menu system and button layout is probably the most sensible, configurable and sorted I have ever seen. Nuff said!

haha..do like a change as I get bored very easy,but honestly have always wanted a GR..If i dont like it then will just sell on but be nice to try one out.It was also a very good price!!

Last edited:
Back