Anyone know anything about this Yongnuo 50mm f1.8 lens

fyi u would be liable for duty and handling fees on that one :( as its not from eu, and over £15

Not always. I have bought loads of goods from Chinese companies and never once paid duty.

well yeah, you can slip through and not pay duty, but if your unlucky or the system works, then you could be landed with a bill

looks like they stole the canon nifty fifty production line that is a hideously obvious copy! Same number of elements in the same number of groups, identical min focus distance and the body could have come straight from a canon parts bin!

ya, the only thing that is different on that lens is the Yongnuo Inc. lettering...lol

Same as the copy of the Canon 580exii flashgun , the Yongnuo 568exii which is almost identical , I have bought two and they work better than the canon ones , both made in china , one cost less than 80 quid the other over 400 which would you buy ?
Didn't say it was bad just that it's a pretty blatant rip off, they could have at least used a different moulding to make it look like they tried! Considering the amount of moaning on this forum about stolen pictures and people wanting free images you'd think such a blatant piece of plagiarism would be treated with slightly more disdain or do we have some double standards!

I know but then when you think these products come from almost the same place and the parts inside from probably the same factories whats the difference ?

With one we are paying for the name, advertising, promotion, etc.
With the other we are getting a bargain which does the same job.

They are both cheap chinese flashguns , and i guess it will be no different with the 50mm 1.8 neither version is going to be made to any great standard so why not get the cheaper one.

Same as the copy of the Canon 580exii flashgun , the Yongnuo 568exii which is almost identical , I have bought two and they work better than the canon ones , both made in china , one cost less than 80 quid the other over 400 which would you buy ?

Just for the record my experience is quite different with them. They tend to expose pretty badly on camera in ETTL when bounced compared with Canon 580. Obviously they come to their own off camera when the "decisions" are made for them by a Canon master flash :) and the price helps

its possible that yn bought old canon manufacturing gear, or did a deal with a factory in china that makes the canon ones.

and its not like the nifty 50 from canon is particularly well made or robust

Just for the record my experience is quite different with them. They tend to expose pretty badly on camera in ETTL when bounced compared with Canon 580. Obviously they come to their own off camera when the "decisions" are made for them by a Canon master flash :) and the price helps

Neither the flash gun nor master controller makes any exposure decisions. That's all done by the camera and the flash is essentially a dumb unit - it just does what its told.

On the new YN lens, I think Canikon might have a problem here. Yongnuo is not going to stop at a 50/1.8.

Have you had one on test yet, Richard? While the lenses look pretty similar (OK, almost identical!), the elements are almost certainly of different quality and I doubt the Canon is the worst of the pair.

For the sake of twenty notes I think I could throw caution to the wind and forgo a warranty.

Thats up to you, the Canon version doesnt even have very good build quality, £20 is still cheaper than another new lens.

Thats up to you, the Canon version doesnt even have very good build quality, £20 is still cheaper than another new lens.

You're absolutely right, and everyone knows you get exactly what you pay for. Bottom line is, go on with your eyes open then you won't get any nasty surprises. I'll certainly be taking a punt at the 1.4

Neither the flash gun nor master controller makes any exposure decisions. That's all done by the camera and the flash is essentially a dumb unit - it just does what its told.

On the new YN lens, I think Canikon might have a problem here. Yongnuo is not going to stop at a 50/1.8.
You would think so but a wrong preflash signal and error processing bounce angle will give you exactly that. I wouldn't trust yn on camera in ettl mode.

@Chris Fallon if you want a cheap 50mm f1.8 but don't want to take a punt on the new Yongnuo version which as yet is pretty much an unknown then go for a second hand Canon version which you can pick up for about £50. Speaking of which, I just happen to have one collecting dust in the cupboard that will be going in the sales section for £50 as soon as I get round to taking some photos of it.

Have you had one on test yet, Richard? While the lenses look pretty similar (OK, almost identical!), the elements are almost certainly of different quality and I doubt the Canon is the worst of the pair.

No, it's only been out for five minutes. I don't see any reason why the YN version should be any worse than the Canon, if it's assembled carefully. That's a big 'if' though and good quality control is one of the most expensive aspects of manufacture (cost of rejects).

The major cost saving is YN has no international distribution network taking a cut, and there'll be no duty/VAT paid on that £27 ebay price. I've tested a few of the Canon 50/1.8s, made in Malaysia, and they were all different and none of them very good optically, and mechanically flimsy. Then I tested one made in Japan (not sold any more I think) and that was markedly sharper with quieter AF too.

You would think so but a wrong preflash signal and error processing bounce angle will give you exactly that. I wouldn't trust yn on camera in ettl mode.

If YN guns were incapable of putting out a consistent pre-flash signal, then they'd be useless - we'd all know about it and it would be inconsistent in manual too. Bounce angle has nothing to do with TTL exposure calcs!

Last edited:
If YN guns were incapable of putting out a consistent pre-flash signal, then they'd be useless - we'd all know about it and it would be inconsistent in manual too. Bounce angle has nothing to do with TTL exposure calcs!

There could be faulty batches; I don't know. But hopefully you would agree that bounced flash needs to be a lot stronger than direct flash, particularly when close-up objects are concerned in a room with high ceiling. Canon did it just fine with the usual +1 2/3 compensation (while YN failed with those settings). You tell me what doesn't add up.

There could be faulty batches; I don't know. But hopefully you would agree that bounced flash needs to be a lot stronger than direct flash, particularly when close-up objects are concerned in a room with high ceiling. Canon did it just fine with the usual +1 2/3 compensation (while YN failed with those settings). You tell me what doesn't add up.

Sounds like you just ran out of poke - most YN guns are not as powerful as your Canon 580. Point is, the flash gun plays no part in exposure calculation. This thread is about YN lenses though...

they're supposed to be doing a f1.4 as well, if its 75% reduction in price and made with the same components from same factory, i dont see why it couldnt be a winner. I quite like the pingpong stuff, i have the yn568 exii and it works really well, quite solid too

@Chris Fallon if you want a cheap 50mm f1.8 but don't want to take a punt on the new Yongnuo version which as yet is pretty much an unknown then go for a second hand Canon version which you can pick up for about £50. Speaking of which, I just happen to have one collecting dust in the cupboard that will be going in the sales section for £50 as soon as I get round to taking some photos of it.

Don't want a cheap lens. Just bought a brand new Canon 50mm f1.8 which is cheap but not THAT cheap! lol. I was just wondering if anyone had bought a Yongnuo lens yet. Thats all.

they're supposed to be doing a f1.4 as well, if its 75% reduction in price and made with the same components from same factory, i dont see why it couldnt be a winner. I quite like the pingpong stuff, i have the yn568 exii and it works really well, quite solid too

I think I may consider getting a f1.4 lens if/when they are released, if they are priced at what seems crazy prices!!

If they do a nikon version, I will certainly get one to test for my youtube channel. I would have got the canon one, but sold my 550d testing camera a while back.

Back