Anyone still up to answer a quick question please.

Name
Carol
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi received my Olympus OM20 today and had to replace the batteries all looks ok but it's quite noisy when the shutter button is depressed. Is this normal as it sounds really loud compared to the Canon AE-1? Is there something loose or broken perhaps, put a cheap film in to try it out tomorrow.

Cheers

depends how loud, my Nikon F2 makes lowd sound quiet.

Hi received my Olympus OM20 today and had to replace the batteries all looks ok but it's quite noisy when the shutter button is depressed. Is this normal as it sounds really loud compared to the Canon AE-1? Is there something loose or broken perhaps, put a cheap film in to try it out tomorrow.

Cheers

Try to find out if it is the shutter or the mirror that is noisy. Not familiar with the OM20, but I would expect there to be a mirror lock-up that would isolate the mirror noise from the shutter noise. Failing that, the sel timer might split mirror noise from shutter noise and would be worth trying before you put a film in it.

Judging by this youtube vid the OM series are fairly noisy beggars...

Judging by this youtube vid the OM series are fairly noisy beggars...

Yep that's the noise, it's very loud in real life! Thanks for your replies at such a late hour.

Carol

Quieter with a lens on.

Coming from rangefinders, and used to comments about how quiet the shutters are, I have never felt it an important consideration. I really don't know why it would ever matter.

The only time a shutter noise annoys me is somewhere like the kid's Christmas play when the room is quiet. :eek:

Thanks everyone.

Cheers

From what I remember of my AE-1, it was really quiet (certainly compared to my previous Practika MTL3, and a little quieter than my mate's Yashica of the same era) - so provided the AE-1 isn't one of the "asthmatic" ones (canon cough!) perhaps thats one reason the OM20 seemed a little noisy...

A little! I think that's an understatement. Lol

The FE2 with the motor drive on is proper loud girls on film stuff :)

Well thank you everyone for all your replys, I got over the noise of my OM20 while I was in Glasgow this weekend. It is a lot louder than the Canon compared to the 20 it is positively silent! :p

I stuck a roll of cheap colour film in her to see how we got on, will take a wee bit of getting used to the 50mm Zuiko lens but I am sure I will get there. Had the film developed at boots, theres a couple I am happy with (which I will post in Show your Film Shots), the rest are blurred due to user error or did not come out. Will have to go through all the settings like I did with the canon to make sure it is not due to a fault. Second roll of colour film in will hopefully get it finished and developed this weekend..........excited!:clap:

Well thank you everyone for all your replys, I got over the noise of my OM20 while I was in Glasgow this weekend. It is a lot louder than the Canon compared to the 20 it is positively silent! :p

I stuck a roll of cheap colour film in her to see how we got on, will take a wee bit of getting used to the 50mm Zuiko lens but I am sure I will get there. Had the film developed at boots, theres a couple I am happy with (which I will post in Show your Film Shots), the rest are blurred due to user error or did not come out. Will have to go through all the settings like I did with the canon to make sure it is not due to a fault. Second roll of colour film in will hopefully get it finished and developed this weekend..........excited!:clap:

What were you having trouble with? Just curious, I've never had any issues personally but I've had an OM for nearly 20 years so from a new user perspective I'm interested.

What were you having trouble with? Just curious, I've never had any issues personally but I've had an OM for nearly 20 years so from a new user perspective I'm interested.

Hi Steven perhaps I am not doing something right so here is a quick scenario:-

Set the lens to f8 look through the viewfinder to see speed of scene, dial in speed on back ring of lens, focus and press the button.

When I went indoors I did this but the shutter was lagging so causing the prints to blurred, which I know is user error. I eventually did manage to get one where everything was clear but I think I am having difficulty working out the light meter on the OM20, unless you say I am doing everything correct. Three of the negatives did not come out nothing on them, and in the middle of the film, I know which ones they were. Again indoors lowish light, dialed in f4 to let light in but keep my dof, set the speed to what it said which was 60 but all three never came out. Now is this because I have made an error or because something is wrong, I used the compensation dial on 2 of them took it down to -1 so the shutter would fire without lag. Have I made the right moves regard this or was I completely off?

Feeling a bit :confused:

Should have taken my digital and dialed in the same setting to just see what came out using it, I know there is a difference between digital and film but might have helped me a little.

Cheers Carol

Hi Steven perhaps I am not doing something right so here is a quick scenario:-

Set the lens to f8 look through the viewfinder to see speed of scene, dial in speed on back ring of lens, focus and press the button.

When I went indoors I did this but the shutter was lagging so causing the prints to blurred, which I know is user error. I eventually did manage to get one where everything was clear but I think I am having difficulty working out the light meter on the OM20, unless you say I am doing everything correct. Three of the negatives did not come out nothing on them, and in the middle of the film, I know which ones they were. Again indoors lowish light, dialed in f4 to let light in but keep my dof, set the speed to what it said which was 60 but all three never came out. Now is this because I have made an error or because something is wrong, I used the compensation dial on 2 of them took it down to -1 so the shutter would fire without lag. Have I made the right moves regard this or was I completely off?

Feeling a bit :confused:

Should have taken my digital and dialed in the same setting to just see what came out using it, I know there is a difference between digital and film but might have helped me a little.

Cheers Carol

Did you have it on manual or auto? Its an aperture priory camera really, manual is still a bit of a bolt on, ideally you only need to worry about the speed if its going too low you shouldn't need to transfer what is on the display back to the shutter speed on the body. The camera knows this and the metering is quite clever and reactive so if things change between you composing and pressing the shutter the camera will automatically adjust the exposure.

Last edited:
Did you have it on manual or auto? Its an aperture priory camera really, manual is still a bit of a bolt on, ideally you only need to worry about the speed if its going too low you shouldn't need to transfer what is on the display back to the shutter speed on the body. The camera knows this and the metering is quite clever and reactive so if things change between you composing and pressing the shutter the camera will automatically adjust the exposure.

Manual

So should I just leave it on Auto?

Last edited:
Ok thanks for that Steven will leave on Auto and see what happens.

So I would only use the ASA compensation dial when it's darker or brighter for the speed of film I have in the camera at the time?:confused:

Last edited:
Ok thanks for that Steven will leave on Auto and see what happens.

So I would only use the ASA compensation dial when it's darker or brighter for the speed of film I have in the camera at the time?:confused:

Yeah its useful if your shooting in a situation where you'd not want to flick to manual all the time. A snowy scene for example you'd dial in some negative compensation but generally I just leave it be. If the camera was trying to use very slow shutter speeds then you might dial in a couple of stops of + compensation but you will end up underexposing.

Although this is all an aside. Per your original problem; F4 and 1/60, I think, sounds a little bright for an indoor scene unless it was a very well light in doors so maybe the meter was lying to you. Fresh batteries? Exposure compensation to neutral? shutter speed correctly selected on the front. All obvious stuff but it might help.

Did you say you'd put another roll in?

I'm not sure what you mean by the shutter lagging. If you just mean that it was a long exposue, well, that's probably the result of the aperture and the lighting conditions.

Apologies if this is too obvious, but I presume you realise that you have to set the film speed manually (or I think you do - I've used an OM30 but otherwise only OM1,2 and 4) to match the film you put in? The exposure compensation dial is used only if you know that the camera will over or underexpose - it's not like a digital camera where you're actually changing the sensor gain to increase or decrease sensitivity.

When I were knee high to a grasshopper, and times were hard (oop north) I found that I needed to use an aperture of f/2.8 and shutter speeds of 1/15th or longer when photographing indoors at home.

@Crtm - if you're finding that indoors shots are giving you a shutter speed you can't hold without blurring, you have three options. Open up the aperture (and accept the small DoF), put the camera on a tripod (or other support), or use a film with a higher ISO. Just using exposure compensation to get a hand-holdable shutter speed will lead to underexposure (unlike with a digital camera, which can change the sensor sensitivity instead). You can compensate for underexposure by over-developing, but that's a whole other topic.

If you're using 100 or 200 ISO film, try 400 ISO. If you're using 400 ISO, try turning another light on ;-) (You can buy 800 or even 3200 ISO film but they'll be more expensive and much more grainy)

The foolproof way to open up the aperture wide enough so that you get a speed you can hold (1/8 for some people, maybe as much as 1/60 for others, depending on health and technique - experiment to see yours). If the speed still isn't quick enough, rest the camera on something or brace yourself against something.

Just a thought:- have you checked the OM with your digital for exposure readings to see if they are accurate......I've had cameras that were 3 stops out.

You want one of them, there exposure love triangles.
That's where all the trouble started, the police said exposing her love triangle in public was against the law, spoilsports.

Back