Anyone used the Optech dual harness?

Messiah Khan

Santa is your dad
Name
Alasdair Fowler
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got an tried a few different straps now, but none have been perfect. I'm tempted by the Optech dual harness now though. Has anyone used it? Any reviews out there of it? Im tempted to see if I could use one side to carry a camera, and the other to support a tripod.

dual_harness-400x321.jpg

http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=87

Hi mate, yes I've just bought one to try, I was getting sick of one strap falling off my shoulder while I used the other camera. Impressed so far, very comfortable and works well with 180 macro on one body and 400 f5.6 on the other. When swapping cameras the whole rig slides a bit to take up the weight on the other side.

I can't imagine having a tripod swinging around under your arm would be too comfortable, I'll attach mine a give it a go though.

Hi mate, yes I've just bought one to try, I was getting sick of one strap falling off my shoulder while I used the other camera. Impressed so far, very comfortable and works well with 180 macro on one body and 400 f5.6 on the other. When swapping cameras the whole rig slides a bit to take up the weight on the other side.

I can't imagine having a tripod swinging around under your arm would be too comfortable, I'll attach mine a give it a go though.

Thanks Richard. Does the main padding area make you sweaty, or is it ok? Have you tried it with a rucksack on? Does it feel ok under the rucksack (I would use it in combo with a Lowepro Pro Trekker)? And if you get chance, I would appreciate if you can try it with a tripod. :)

Might be good doing wildlife but I cant see this any good doing a wedding as it not look very good when dress smart

Hehe, well it would mainly be for wildlife, or general street type photography. I have no desire to do weddings, but even so if it gets the job done who cares what it looks like. You could probably wear a suit jacket over it though. (y)

Thanks for the suggestion. I mainly want to get this setup for the camera though, and using the other side for spare lenses or the tripod. At the moment I really don't like carrying the tripod on the rucksack as it makes it too heavy, and especially top heavy. So instead a tend to carry it. But that takes up my spare hand. So I want something where I can carry the tripod, but also be able to let go if I want to use the camera.

Ali, I've finally had a chance to try out a few things:

Does the main padding area make you sweaty?...Yes. In warmer weather, with just a shirt on I found it a bit sweaty. With a fleece it wasn't as bad.

Have you tried it with a rucksack on?...Yes, once adjusted so the rear buckles were in between my shoulder blades it was OK with a LowePro Rover. Before I'd made the correct adjustments it was very uncomfortable.

Can try it with a tripod...It worked OK with the tripod, supported it well and took the weight. It would be a pain with a rucksack on too though.

One issue for me is the straps that attach to the camera need shortening to the extreme, otherwise the cameras are swinging around. This means that if I use the separate Pro strap I need to adjust the fittings every time, they didn't consider compatibility.

I'll continue to use it but it's not great.

Back