Aps-c to high end m43 who's done it?

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
Basically I have a 70d currently and I am about to send this off under warranty for really annoying focusing issues. Ifs the 2nd one too. I keep thinking about what to do once it is fixed.
One route would be to go high end m43 and have a complete change either gh4 or em1, but then there would be nothing really for wildlife, until the olympus 300 f4 prime comes and goodness knows how much that will be!. Though i could always keep my 50 to 500 and use an adapter.
So ramble aside who has moved over and have you made the right decision? Any downsides on high iso upto 6400?

So ramble aside who has moved over and have you made the right decision? Any downsides on high iso upto 6400?

I went from 5Dc to MFT and currently have a G1 and a GX7.

Just on image quality - I'd say that for whole images and reasonably large prints the old G1 easily holds its own at low to mid ISO's and it's really only at the highest ISO's that things start to fall apart. The GX7 does a lot better at higher ISO's and I really have to pixel peep to see any issue.

Coming from a Canon APS-C which with respect to you and other owners have often had questions raised about image quality maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised by a top end MFT? I think that the lenses in particular will very probably impress you.

I have had mixed results but it might just be me !! I have had a 450d, 50d and enjoyed them both. I owned a gf3 a while back and couldn't get on with it too well. I then bought an EPL5 and although the image quality was very nice when the focus was spot on i had tons of more shots that were out of focus than i ever did with the dslr's. Basically i shoot my toddler running about and i had tons of missed shots which as i say could have been me but when i used the 50d and 70-200f4L i rarely had any. For info i used the 45mm f1.8 lens most of the time.

Good point Steve. I forgot to say the GF3 and EPL5 don't have viewfinders and i struggled with that also.

I haven't left the DSLR world (just yet) but do have an Olympus OMD-EM1 and Panasonic GH3 to compliment by Nikon FF DSLR's, and to be honest the differences are not as big as you might think. With carefully selected shutter speeds the Panasonic 100-300 is a pretty fine and sharp lens (and I've heard similar for the Olympus 75-300).

I've also used my Nikon 300mm F2.8 and F4 lenses with the EM1 with a very cheap adaptor (with an aperture adjustment ring), and with the focus peaking on the EM1, and the results were stellar and a 600mm equivalent to boot.

Thanks for the link, some great looking pics in there.

Hi

I sort of went the same route, I went from Canon 40D & 50D to Fuji X Cameras (X-S1 & X10) and now using Lumix G5 & GX7 and have the 100-300 lens as well, now that I have them I wish I skipped the Fuji's.

Paul

Thanks Paul, I looked at the xt1 when it came out, I was really hoping I would like it, but 1st impressions were not ideal for me, and not looked at it again. I used to have a g5, it went in p/x to get my 70d, I miss it more than I like my 70d at the moment!

I went from 5Dc to MFT and currently have a G1 and a GX7.

Just on image quality - I'd say that for whole images and reasonably large prints the old G1 easily holds its own at low to mid ISO's and it's really only at the highest ISO's that things start to fall apart. The GX7 does a lot better at higher ISO's and I really have to pixel peep to see any issue.

Coming from a Canon APS-C which with respect to you and other owners have often had questions raised about image quality maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised by a top end MFT? I think that the lenses in particular will very probably impress you.

Thank you Allan, I certainly would like the chance to use some lenses on the m4/3 side, I used the 14mm pancake which I really enjoyed, making it a great quick and effective combo with the g5 I had.

I have had mixed results but it might just be me !! I have had a 450d, 50d and enjoyed them both. I owned a gf3 a while back and couldn't get on with it too well. I then bought an EPL5 and although the image quality was very nice when the focus was spot on i had tons of more shots that were out of focus than i ever did with the dslr's. Basically i shoot my toddler running about and i had tons of missed shots which as i say could have been me but when i used the 50d and 70-200f4L i rarely had any. For info i used the 45mm f1.8 lens most of the time.

Looking at the gh4 and em1, I would hope it would avoid that. My 70d is currently so inconsistent it's unreal, very rarely see an in focus picture, but I can then have a run of nothing going wrong. It's a good point you make though and one I would certainly check out.

make sure you can get on with the small bodies, fiddly controls and flickering EVF's

I managed the g5 quite nicely, I really wanted panasonic to make a grip to go with it at times, never had a problem with the evf, if the camera had a flickering evf I would have to discount it straight away as this could cause problems for me.

I haven't left the DSLR world (just yet) but do have an Olympus OMD-EM1 and Panasonic GH3 to compliment by Nikon FF DSLR's, and to be honest the differences are not as big as you might think. With carefully selected shutter speeds the Panasonic 100-300 is a pretty fine and sharp lens (and I've heard similar for the Olympus 75-300).

I've also used my Nikon 300mm F2.8 and F4 lenses with the EM1 with a very cheap adaptor (with an aperture adjustment ring), and with the focus peaking on the EM1, and the results were stellar and a 600mm equivalent to boot.

I currently have a 200 2.8L which I very rarely use as its af is bust, I was considering selling it, but focus peaking could make it a keeper, I still have a basic eos to m4/3 adapter somewhere in one of my bags. 100-300 seems to be quite well received. How are you finding your em1 overall and compared to the gh3?

I've moved from various DSLR's with my latest ( but not best/favorite) being a Nikon D7000 to Olympus E-M10. I'd made the move previously from Canon to E-M5 and and I LOVED it! The only reason I sold was financially because I was starting a PGCE course and needed to cash in on the system. I actually prefer the E-M10 due to the wifi and overall feel, but they're both great cameras.

Quality wise I get better quality (sharpness and less noise) photos from the Olympus than I did from the Nikon D7000, but that's not the biggest benefit for me. The things I love are the size and portability, the autofocus speed with eye detection (perfect for my kids), the beautiful prime lenses (and they are amazing!) and it's so much fun to use.

It won't be for everyone I suppose and it won't match full frame, but I wouldn't swap back to APS-C because I have everything I want.

I prefer Olympus to Panasonic due to the look and feel of he cameras and although lenses are compatible, I prefer using matching brands. Autofocus speed can be effected with some lens combos.

If you're a prime lens person, the 25mm, 45mm and 75mm are outstanding (and I assume the others are from reviews). The 75mm was the sharpest lens I've ever owned but it was expensive for the amount I used it.

Zoom wise, the Olympus 12-50mm is very good for a kit lens, or the new 14-42mm PZ is ok and incredibly portable with the E-M10. The 40-150mm is a very good lens for the price but none will compare to the f/2.8 top end zooms... But they are big, expensive and may unbalance a smaller body.

Hope that helps.

Colin

make sure you can get on with the small bodies, fiddly controls and flickering EVF's

The EVF on my OMD E-M1 is a revelation especially for macro work. It has no flicker that I have noticed.
As for controls I say go to a shop and try one out.

The only thing has me near going for a bigger sensor is the Sony A7 as the camera is no bigger.

The EVF on my OMD E-M1 is a revelation especially for macro work. It has no flicker that I have noticed.
As for controls I say go to a shop and try one out.

The only thing has me near going for a bigger sensor is the Sony A7 as the camera is no bigger.

Everyone I've tried I found the EVF flickering and very unnatural to use. I like big buttons and controls, but thats just me.

I did consider an A7 (the plus being able to fit canon, nikkor etc glass) but the EVF and small size put me off.

Everyone I've tried I found the EVF flickering and very unnatural to use. I like big buttons and controls, but thats just me.

I did consider an A7 (the plus being able to fit canon, nikkor etc glass) but the EVF and small size put me off.

Steve
That is just the reason you have to try these things we are all different.

Reactions: ST4
I've moved from various DSLR's with my latest ( but not best/favorite) being a Nikon D7000 to Olympus E-M10. I'd made the move previously from Canon to E-M5 and and I LOVED it! The only reason I sold was financially because I was starting a PGCE course and needed to cash in on the system. I actually prefer the E-M10 due to the wifi and overall feel, but they're both great cameras.

Quality wise I get better quality (sharpness and less noise) photos from the Olympus than I did from the Nikon D7000, but that's not the biggest benefit for me. The things I love are the size and portability, the autofocus speed with eye detection (perfect for my kids), the beautiful prime lenses (and they are amazing!) and it's so much fun to use.

It won't be for everyone I suppose and it won't match full frame, but I wouldn't swap back to APS-C because I have everything I want.

I prefer Olympus to Panasonic due to the look and feel of he cameras and although lenses are compatible, I prefer using matching brands. Autofocus speed can be effected with some lens combos.

If you're a prime lens person, the 25mm, 45mm and 75mm are outstanding (and I assume the others are from reviews). The 75mm was the sharpest lens I've ever owned but it was expensive for the amount I used it.

Zoom wise, the Olympus 12-50mm is very good for a kit lens, or the new 14-42mm PZ is ok and incredibly portable with the E-M10. The 40-150mm is a very good lens for the price but none will compare to the f/2.8 top end zooms... But they are big, expensive and may unbalance a smaller body.

Hope that helps.

Colin

As long as I match my 70d for iq then I would be happy. I wondered if I should have waited and gone canon full frame with a 6d, which is still an option,but I can't really get excited about the thought of it tbh, they will be upgraded soon and I don't want to sit with something saying if only I had waited! The 70d was supposed to last me for a very long time, but not being happy with it, I can't see it being that camera. Always looked at reviws of the primes, though not really paid much attention to the 25mm, Plenty more food for thought, thank you. em10 would make a sensible choice, there is nothing panasonic wise atm for me as I don't like the g6 body.

Not all micro 4/3rds have small bodies or fiddly controls. You just need to choose the right camers (GH4 for example). The big win is lens size and (as has been indicated in the first post) spot on focusing. EVF is something you need to get used to, but these are improving every iteration.

I went 5D2 -> G5 (and now GH3). I have not regretted it once.

Has the g3 got focus peeking?
No. You need GX7/GH4 for that in the Panasonic range. (note G3 is not the same as GH3 which is not the same as GF3!). Not sure when they started focus peaking in the Olympus range.

Not all micro 4/3rds have small bodies or fiddly controls. You just need to choose the right camers (GH4 for example). The big win is lens size and (as has been indicated in the first post) spot on focusing. EVF is something you need to get used to, but these are improving every iteration.

I went 5D2 -> G5 (and now GH3). I have not regretted it once.

It's tiny compared to my D800, no OVF and costs vs a grey D800 only £300 less.

Doesn't seem the thing for me but small len's if they are important these systems lead the way. I find no issue with a 24-70 F2.8 and Ziess 21mm prime for my SLR gear, it is perfectly managable, even climbing up old man of storr the gear wasn't an issue.

It's tiny compared to my D800, no OVF and costs vs a grey D800 only £300 less.
I find the body size (gripped) perfectly adequate and I'm 6' 8" tall (with appropriately sized hands). Cost is a moot point as it depends where you are in the product cycle as to how much of a hit has been taken. If you want to compare vs GH4 you need to be looking at D810. For a D800 you should be comparing with a GH3 which is coming in at less than half the price.

Weight is relative, but at around 1kg for a gripped GH3 + 12-35 (i.e. 24-70 equivalent focal) I'm much happier - and that doesn't even include how much easier it is to put in hand luggage on trips due to size :)

Back