Are Nikon going to offer anything to compare with the 7D Mkll

Edit My Images
No
or have they just left "semi pro" DX market ………...with their crop an FX if you need a DX image indications

People have been asking that question from the moment the D300s was discontinued but if it doesn't happen now it never will.

bit like asking if they are ever going to replace the 300mm f4 with a VR version ………………. been asking that question for ages

or will they ever make a 400mm f5.6 at a reasonable price

Last edited:
And of course a 105 DC G VR.

Of course real answer lies in keeping/buying the D300s and spending the extra money on decent glass. You'll most likely end up with a better image than with a modest lens in the front of a 24Mp D400.
Mbd10 grips are cheap, as are other accessories such as batteries and cards.

Last edited:
I've thought for a while that Canon and Nikon had been playing chicken in this market. They both had very popular, but aging models - the 7D and the D300 - and obviously they had the capability to replace/update them, but I think they weren't sure exactly what to do. So Canon probably had half a dozen possible designs for the 7D Mk II, and Nikon probably have half a dozen designs for the D310 or D350 or D400 or whatever it would be called, and as soon as one of them released a new model the other would pick the design that trumped it and make that.

In the end Canon blinked first. It seems they've tried to head off a response from Nikon by throwing as much into the 7D Mk II AF they could, and making it as hard as possible for Nikon to trump.

Or maybe Nikon have lost interest. I guess we'll find out in the next few months.

Is the new Canon a big improvement against rivals? ...... Even against the old Nik0n D300s :confused: http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Canon/EOS-7D-Mark-II

I, like many others, have wanted a new/updated D300 but got the feeling Nikon weren't going to bring one out, instead hoping the higher MP FF bodies would be taken up by users & possibly hoping Canon would go down the same route.
As Stewart says, we'll find out in a few months & tbh it wouldn't surprise me if Nikon follow suit now, what with the discounts & free battery grips on D6xx & D7100 (outgoing models?)

Well if Nikon bring out a body to compete with the MkII it will be better as soon as DXO Mark have finished the sensor test which will be seized upon as being the ultimate proof of superiority. :naughty:

The 7D2 is an interesting move by Canon, but how is it going to affect the sale of fx canon cameras? Before the 7D2 people were moving towards the 5d3 or 6d, like what nikon have done with the d750 and d810. The 7d2 seems like a mini cut down version of the 1dx, nikon made this mistake with the d300/d700/d3 and haven't got past it since. I think canon are hoping to get nikon users to move across using the 7d2 as bait whereas nikon are looking at moving everyone to fx at present. Next March could be more interesting but really once you are canon or nikon is there any point moving across and does it really matter?

Last edited:
1D (always a 1.3 crop) became full frame with the 1DX

5D3 (full frame) also has a decent AF system.

I think we're at the point where full frame cameras can also have decent AF, decent frame rates, sensors are now permitting heavy crops.

EF-S lenses aside - I do wonder if the 7D2 is a last Hurrah for 1.6 crop.

Is the new Canon a big improvement against rivals? ...... Even against the old Nik0n D300s :confused: http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Canon/EOS-7D-Mark-II

I, like many others, have wanted a new/updated D300 but got the feeling Nikon weren't going to bring one out, instead hoping the higher MP FF bodies would be taken up by users & possibly hoping Canon would go down the same route.
As Stewart says, we'll find out in a few months & tbh it wouldn't surprise me if Nikon follow suit now, what with the discounts & free battery grips on D6xx & D7100 (outgoing models?)

I think that the dxomark ratings are being seen as misleading especially when the ISO ratings are more important to many than the other measures that they use to put together the overall figure.

It is reported that the Sony FX sensor in the D810 is "the best" but apparently the cropped sensor in the 7D Mk ll is close to it in the more important areas and seems to indicate that Canon will produce an FX sensor that gets near to the Sony one.

Low light/Low noise is important to bird photographers and the "DX crop" is almost appreciated ….. the D300 is equal to the 7D ll in certain area but is well below the measured ISO performance, and the same goes for the D7100.
It would be interesting to compare a cropped image at ISO 800 or 1600 from the D810 versus the same image from the 7D ll

I would still like to see a new Nikon DX semi pro and if it compared well to the D750 etc I would buy it for "bird" shots as the x 1.5 is always useful

Last edited:

If it were all only about the sensor, then no. Every potential owner of a crop sensor DSLR would have a Nikon 24mp sensor camera.

But the camera is more than the sensor. For me, the 7DII is the first camera to tempt me to upgrade from my D300S in 5 years. More fps, more pixels, better high ISO performance and potentially better AF. The sensor may not be as good as Nikon's, but then they don't have a camera that has all the other 7DII features.

The 7D2 is an interesting move by Canon, but how is it going to affect the sale of fx canon cameras? Before the 7D2 people were moving towards the 5d3 or 6d, like what nikon have done with the d750 and d810. The 7d2 seems like a mini cut down version of the 1dx, nikon made this mistake with the d300/d700/d3 and haven't got past it since. I think canon are hoping to get nikon users to move across using the 7d2 as bait whereas nikon are looking at moving everyone to fx at present.

The flaw in Nikon's strategy is the expectation that all the people who want a DX high performance camera, for whatever reasons, will move to an FX camera because it is a similar price. :confused: Some will, some have, but if you really want/need the type of camera the D300S and 7DII are, then anything else would be making compromises in various areas, depending on the choices you choose to compromise on.

As for whether Nikon will bring out a D400 or whatever, I doubt it sadly. :( (though I hope I'm wrong) I don't think Nikon have it in them to compete with the 7DII. If they did, there would be 'rumours' starting to appear to try and deter those Nikon users waiting way too long for a D400, or anyone else wanting a camera like that, from changing, especially over the Christmas period. They may have been playing chicken with Canon over this section of the market, but Nikon may have been bluffing. :rolleyes:

Nikon could have had that sector of the market sown up by bringing out a 'D400' with slightly updated features with a 24mp sensor a couple of years ago, but they have chosen to seemingly ignore it. :thinking:

Next March could be more interesting but really once you are canon or nikon is there any point moving across and does it really matter?

Canon and Nikon may believe that users stay locked into their brand once they're in, but those days are long gone imho. If you don't give users what they want, some may upgrade to whatever compromised option you put in front them, but once you start compromising, then a whole lot of other options open up, not just DSLRs from Canon or whoever, but also a whole load of CSC cameras. For me the 7DII is very tempting.

As for something by March, it may be too late by then for a lot of those waiting/wanting for a 'D400', depending on some in depth 7DII reviews as well as user's experiences. Unless rumours of it being able to blow the 7DII away in almost every area, which you would assume anything to do with the sensor would do anyway, then people may already have gone.

Take it none of you have ever looked at the D7100 :thinking:

I got one for the high ISO capabiltiies to run alongside my D300 and to be perfectly honest
it's a cracking camera.
I would love an upgrade for the D300 and if one does appear will probably buy one
but for the moment the D7100 serves the purpose

I got one for the high ISO capabiltiies to run alongside my D300 and to be perfectly honest
it's a cracking camera.
I would love an upgrade for the D300 and if one does appear will probably buy one
but for the moment the D7100 serves the purpose

I have a D300, D7100, D700 and V1 + FT-1
I have a fullish range of Nikon lenses, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, 70 200mm VR, 300 f4 and 300mm f2.8 and 600mm f4

I prefer the feel and UI of the D300 and D700 and I use the D700 for all DSLR photography other than birds and Dragonflies etc.

I use the D7100 for birds but I have never really been a fan of it, (compared with the D300), as I said, user interface is not as friendly as the D300 and it just feels more lightweight.
Most of my bird images are crops and I would prefer to buy a DX camera with very good low light capabilities, good AF and a sensor of between 15 and 24 meg than the new breed of Nikon FX bodies.
For Dragonfly shots, where I can "fill the frame" more, 85% of the time I use the V1 + FT-1 with the Nikon 300mm f4.

I have thought about moving to Canon because I believe that their range of birding lens are just a little better than Nikon, their 600mm f4 is lighter and reportably "better" and they have a 400mm f5.6 (VR), their TC's also seem to have an edge over Nikon's……. clearly I cannot move to Canon because of my investment, which continues, in Nikon glass, but with the release of the 7D Mk ll and the availability of a very good walk around 400mm prime at a very attractive price ….. it makes me wonder whether I should start a break with the purchase of a 7D Mkll and a good used 400mm f5.6 (VR) ……. as Nikon seem to have deserted the DX market and have yet to produce a good walk around, i.e. lightish weight 400mm prime with VR, (even a 300mm VR would be some progress) … This prompted me to ask the question as I have followed the Nikon rumour mill regarding a D400 for a few years now

Ideally a mirror-less DX "DSLR" ala the Sony FX bodies with a cropped sensor and a range of just three Sony/Nikon/Canon quality VR "birding" lens, 400mm f5.6 VR to 600mm f4 would be ideally for "bird" photography, IMHO, of course

what is now interesting is that a good used D300 sells for more than the same D7000 which you could say replaced it …. if that means anything

Last edited:

I have looked at the D7100, and the D7000 before it. And 'for me', they were not the cameras to replace my D300S for various reasons. I don't particularly want multiple cameras, for the obvious reasons of cost and portability. I want one to do all I want. The D200, then D300 and now D300S have been great cameras, and have done almost everything I have wanted them to. With the obvious limitations of resolution and high ISO performance, of which they they were the best of their time., I wouldn't think of changing. The 7DII seems to be a camera that can improve in many of the areas I mentioned above in a previous post.

I'm glad that you're happy with your D7100. :)

Whichever way you hang, be it Nikon or Canon, each gives the other competition and keeps them honest and so the consumer (you and I) benefits.

The bottom line is what sort of photography you like to do and which system suits you best, not just technical specification but on tactile ergonomics.

Whichever way you hang, be it Nikon or Canon, each gives the other competition and keeps them honest and so the consumer (you and I) benefits.

The bottom line is what sort of photography you like to do and which system suits you best, not just technical specification but on tactile ergonomics.

I think that the only "problems" her is that my first "consumer pro" body was the D300 which I really liked for bird/nature (and general) shots, the crop factor really helped when the best lens I could was the Nikon 70 300mm f4.5/f5.6 VR and also when I got a 300mm f4 and ten the TC14Ell …… it was a relatively "cheap" way into better bird photography. To upgrade this the only available option was the D7000/D7100 - bigger sensor (supposedly better low light performance) …. now that I have bought much better Nikon glass, the 300mm f2.8VR and the 600mm f4 ….. the crop factor of the DX sensor is also very useful and I continue to use the D7100, (which I don't really like), for birds ……………… it will be disappointing if Nikon do not produce a really good DX consumer pro with a cut down version of the Sony sensor that is in the D810

Can't you crop your D8X0 images?

looks like that's what Nikon wants as I said in my opening post

"or have they just left "semi pro" DX market ………...with their crop an FX if you need a DX image indications"

Last edited:
looks like that's what Nikon wants as I said in my opening post

"or have they just left "semi pro" DX market ………...with their crop an FX if you need a DX image indications"

There are two new Nikon DX cameras on the way. Nikon Rumours posted some information recently.

Just go with it. That 36mp sensor is a peach and so cropible...

I can see that and that (must) be the next upgrade - get an 810 or 750 and use the DX mode when needed - there is also a x 1.3 crop mode on the D7100 as well as the native x 1.5 which is useful if you want to reduced the file size as bird images seem always to be crop ……. maybe Nikone should include a variable crop facility on the D810 to cater for all needs …… what I want is a dedicated "birding" camera body..designed exactly as birders need it, fantastic low light performance, fast, rugged, water and dust proof, great battery life, simple UL and controls……. dead simple ……. smaller physical size not important, maybe a D4S with a DX sensor of about 20 mps ……. wonder what the spec of the new 7DMk ll is?

Last edited:
I prefer just crop a full fx file and have control that way. The cropability of a 24mp image (I run a D800 and D610) isn't nearly as good as the 36mp. A D810 has to be a great birding camera, and no aa filter so nice and sharp. Stick some nice glass on it and you must be laughing.

Thanks Steve ….. I was really tempted by the D4 that has just been sold on here …… I suppose that the D810 would replace my D700 and D7100 …… I have some really good Nikon glass ………..I'm just worried that I will need to spend £3k to replace my MPB and iMac as they are both early 2009 with only 8 gig of RAW and a 2.6 GHz intel core 2 on the iMac … plus the buggery of move all my apps and other stuff across

D810 is made for you. D4 is a waste of money unless you're into action, weddings, events. For nature and landscapes the D810 has to be the one. It's also a D7k without an AA filter in the same body if you do run in DX mode, but I'd just run in full mode as you can inadvertently cut stuff off as the DX boundary lines can be hard to see if you are composing and shooting quickly (as I found to my annoyance at an airshow with my D610).

Upgrading the computer and screen makes more sense than getting a D4. Lose the 700 and 7000. Get a D810 and upgrade your screen, or a used 800 or 800e

There are two new Nikon DX cameras on the way. Nikon Rumours posted some information recently.
There are always DX cameras on the way, it just depends what they are. The D5xxx and D7xxx ranges are due updates. But of course the D3xx range is so long due an update that the D300S is discontinued. :( :LOL:

The nice glass your gonna need for birding with the D810 will cost you about 5k lol

It depends, I have taken many of my most enjoyable shots with a Nikon 300mm f4 and TC14Ell
My 300mm f2.8 VR is good with and without TC's and using it with a TC20Elll is surprisingly near the Nikon 600mm f4 that I have.

As you move up the extra size and weight has disadvantages as well as the IQ improvements and you have to really improve your technique when you stick a body on the end of the 600mm f4

But you will be very surprise at the quality of the images that the Nikon 300mm f4 gives with the D300 and the 70 300mm f4.5/5.6 VR is really good value for money.

Each lens in the range has it's uses and the 300mm f4 is a real "star"

Last edited:
I like my 7D (soon to be 7D mk2) and 400mm f5.6 for lightness. You can walk for miles with it and hardly notice it's weight. I'm very happy with the IQ. I don't really see any of the Nikon's as a suitable replacement for wildlife due to the price of lenses but maybe I'm being small minded lol

I like my 7D (soon to be 7D mk2) and 400mm f5.6 for lightness. You can walk for miles with it and hardly notice it's weight. I'm very happy with the IQ. I don't really see any of the Nikon's as a suitable replacement for wildlife due to the price of lenses but maybe I'm being small minded lol

see my comments in #6 above

Back