Are Nikon going to offer anything to compare with the 7D Mkll

Sorry Bill. Didn't see that comment. Totally agree with you there

Agree with you and even as a Nikon shooter it is almost worth buying a Canon just to get the Canon 400mm f5.6 and also the Canon 600mm f4 is reputed to be "the best birding lens" around for quality and portability, (weight).

You know you can just buy 7DII + 400/5.6L if you are that desperate for affordable high speed birding camera. Won't do you any harm at all.

I know!! … used it is even a bigger bargain

I'm thinking about buying a Sigma DP3M just to take my mind completely off "birding" shots, before I rupture myself with the 600mm and all the other kit needed

Last edited:
I've used the 600mm f4. It's an awesome lens, but you don't want to be carrying it too far lol

Bill, I use a D800E & tried quite a few shots when I first got it using the 300mm F2.8 (with & without the 1.7tc) with the in-camera crop Vs just cropping in on the PC. I couldn't see any difference in the images!
tbh it's easier to use/frame subjects full frame, then crop later.
I'm toying with getting a D810. (bl00dy GAS :D )

re the D4, it's a lovely thing & fast! but it does need good glass, especially for birding. I sold because I don't have a good fast, long prime anymore + shooting at any distance didn't give me the same ability to crop in on the PC as the D800E

Last edited:
The Sony sensor in the D810 was according to all tests etc., well ahead of the FF Canon sensor, but reports seem to indicate, because of the performance of the sensor in the new 7D Mk ll that if Canon repeat this technology in their FF sensor they will be almost up to the performance levels of the Sony FF sensor that Nikon use.

But I spend hours talking about all this stuff believing that it will somehow transform my images …….. doh!!

Isn't pretty much every ff Nikon superior to the canon? Pair a d750 with sigma 150-600, sorted. D4S with 500f4, sorted if you've got some cash under the mattress

I think youre confusing sensor with camera.

But I spend hours talking about all this stuff believing that it will somehow transform my images …….. doh!!

It really won't. You need great light and great subject matter. And chances are the skill set of a shooter can make a far greater difference than the lab analysis between 5D3 vs D810 could ever reveal. It has never stopped me from getting the good image, except when prospective client was going mad about high end medium format files.

Quote"Each lens in the range has it's uses and the 300mm f4 is a real "star" "
Totally agree. Not that I have one. Tried a mates with my tc17 and tc14. Great combo or on its own. Just don't really do enough long stuff to justify the lens. Could be tempted if they did a VR version though.

Back