As Night Replaces Day

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
No
Hi All

Llanddwyn Island is situated near the southern entrance to the Menai Strait. As a result it became important as shipping of slate from the ports of Bangor, Caernarfon and Felinhelli increased. A lighthouse called Tŵr Mawr, was built at the tip of the island to provide guidance to ships heading for the Strait.

Lovely conditions during my annual visit to this truly magical location, I can see my house in the distance too, which for me is an added bonus.

As Night Replaces Day by Kevin OBrian, on Flickr

Last edited:
It's a wonderful view with superb lighting. My criticism would be the rock gets centre stage whereas the beacon and view beyond are the more interesting elements.

Easier said than done I know but it would have been good to see a bit more lighthouse and a bit less rock.

One of 'those' places Kevin but a truly transcendent image you've got here. So much more mood than the usual shots you see of Llanddwyn, including my own attempt from last year. I like it a lot mate :)

Thank for stopping by all much appreciated

Andrew yes its roughly a 40min walk along the beach from the car park £3, just check the tide times before setting off too.

Tim I do have more compositions up close and personel of the lighthouse and will share once I get a chance.

Regards

kevin

Lovely capture Kevin- I tried to get the same shot this year when I stayed in Premier Inn, Bangor for a few days- sadly the tide was against me- thanks for sharing

I'll get it next year :D

Les ;)

Love the light on the foreground rock Kevin, really sets the tone for the rest of the image. A beautiful capture of a beautiful scene.

Hi Kevin, What can I say another "Excellent" shot from you. The light is absolutely superb.(y)

George.

Thanks guys, yes looking forward to your next visit Steve, that may have something to do with me you bring stranded ? Can't remember exact details.

Thanks guys, yes looking forward to your next visit Steve, that may have something to do with me you bring stranded ? Can't remember exact details.
All you did was recommend the location. It seemed a nice night so sent for it.

This composition here seems the best one IMHO. The lead in is great and lovely light on the rocks aced great views over to the mountains

Thank you Steve see you again on your next visit hopfully you will not be shouting :help: and alone on the island through the night ;)

And you have Ziess 21mm too, perfect if the boat/jetty was still at Nantile.

I shot here, but shot into the sea for the sunset as it was summer, a winter shoot here has to be worth it. But this is the right composition for this spot.

Back